Scamp tail light replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Scamp tail light replacement

The driver's side tailight, the silly one with the license plate bracket as integral to the tail light unit, needs to be replaced. I removed the old one, sort of, only to discover that the wires to the tail light seem to be stuck inside the Scamp.
There must be some way to remove the old tail light and to extend the wires in order to make connecting the new wires less of a challenge.
Since the license plate bracket is just plastic I assume that many owners have had to do this replacement. Does anyone have any hints? I'm trying to avoid cutting or lifting the insulation on the inside. It's a 2005 13'.
Thank you.
Oh, and if you have any idea how to make the search feature useful in these forums please let me know that.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Re searching... Are you using the "Site Search/Google" option at the bottom of the drop-down search menu?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The wiring is actually accessible from under the Port side bench.
You will probably be able to reach through the hole on the outside with a pair of needle nose pliers and gently pull the wires out to make the connection, then slip it back or not depending on the fit.
The wiring runs along the floor under the bench so you could easily slip your wiring through the hole and down under the ratfur to the floor and make your connection at floor level.
I have done this many times and it is no real challenge.
If you can actually find an old metal coat hanger, you can fish it down through the hull, behind the ratfur, and fish the needed wires up through the hole.
It only takes a little ingenuity, but only a little...so go for it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up Thank you

I did have to pull back the rat fur, but that's a good thing in the end. There was some residual dampness there from a recent power washing I did. Some leaked through a rear window. So now I have it all opened up and drying out.
Anyway, thank you. Your note gave me the courage to pull up the rat fur and loosen the wiring so that I could pull it through the outside opening. Once that was done the install was easy enough.
But that rear license plate holder is a dopey design. It it's going to be integrated into the light then make is out of some quality metal, or at least better plastic.

Mike
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I was able to pull enough wire to make the connection outside on our 2000 16 ft.
But, to get at the wires inside I found it easier to remove the bench board.
Pull up the rat fur, and or cut the insulation. Patch it later with Duckt or Gorilla tape. I replaced the stock lamps with LED units.
Lowes had a trailer lighting kit with two LED units, and a license bracket.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, scamp