Smart Battery Box?? Or what? Help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Scamp 13 ft (former 1985 Scamp 16 ft)
Registry
Smart Battery Box?? Or what? Help!

I"m totally new to wires and batteries, etc, etc! Questions: I just purchased a Renogy 100w briefcase with Voyager charge control system for my Scamp 13' travel trailer, with one lead acid battery on tongue. Looking for a way to hookup the alligator clips on solar system wire to battery without taking off battery box lid/strap each time. Can I use a Smart Battery Power Station Box without problem? The simple kind that has the posts on the outside, a USB port, and a voltage meter. AND...it is mounted on trailer tongue so when it rains, will it be ok if it gets wet? Looking at the one NAPA sell, MaxiTrac brand. OR...is there a better way ?? Help!
Robbilayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:40 PM   #2

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Smart Bsttery Box

Anderson Power Poles has a good solution to your problem.

https://powerwerx.com/panelpole-pane...e-white-single
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoepner View Post
Anderson Power Poles has a good solution to your problem....
Partial solution... you would need to change out the alligator clips to the Anderson power pole connector. I could make that cable up but you would need a special crimping tool at least. But it would be a good option if you did. If there a ham radio club near you I would bet they have someone who could change your alligator clips to the anderson power pole connector.

You could also make up a cable with the anderson PP on end and the alligator clips on the other end so that you could still use the solar with the clips on any 12 volt battery (such as a riding mower battery).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:27 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I put SAE connectors on mine. Have the same situation with my Trillium and Escape 19.

Bought where I have bought most of my RV supplies, Amazon. Got one with 10 gauge wire. Added an inline manual reset breaker on the positive line. Realize some campground person could cut your line with a weed eater or whatever, and short out your battery. Not good.

I think I detailed the process on my Trillium FB page.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Scamp 13 ft (former 1985 Scamp 16 ft)
Registry
Thanks!

Thanks all! I'll attempt this!
Robbilayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #6

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Battery to power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbilayne View Post
I"m totally new to wires and batteries, etc, etc! Questions: I just purchased a Renogy 100w briefcase with Voyager charge control system for my Scamp 13' travel trailer, with one lead acid battery on tongue. Looking for a way to hookup the alligator clips on solar system wire to battery without taking off battery box lid/strap each time. Can I use a Smart Battery Power Station Box without problem? The simple kind that has the posts on the outside, a USB port, and a voltage meter. AND...it is mounted on trailer tongue so when it rains, will it be ok if it gets wet? Looking at the one NAPA sell, MaxiTrac brand. OR...is there a better way ?? Help!
Car, suv or truck can have brake unit at dash. Wired 7pin brakes or 4 pin no brakes. Our trailer batteries are usually connected through wall to inside, a converter/control unit. Car or SUV charging system has a unit to protect it while driving and charging with 7 pin.

Solar unit module could be inside and run back out to battery for charging and panels using existing hole.

Breakers are usually just inside the wall at front in boot, then the converter control unit to trailer needs; you could place it there so now rain problems.

Some inside 110v converter units have a charging system built in with shore power being used. It was an option in 1978. Maybe standard now. Do not know if this will affect how to wire solar to charge while camping.

Regular battery maybe a let down for battery life. Even a heavy duty marine deep cycle has its limits. That is why so many upgrade to a newer house battery for the system. Our battery has both posts and wing nut connections.

They make some great batteries that you can checkout later after you figure out how to wire things up. There are some doc in club about wiring things and others that have more knowledge than me about trailers in club but hope this helps
Old 01-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #7

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
If you are looking for an efficient and high-quality battery pack for size group 24 and up, NOCO's RV battery box can't be missed. This is exactly the battery box you need. From the outside, the overall molded plastic seems heavy. The side handle is quite durable, and the wide grip makes it easier for me to carry around and move the battery. It features a snap-on lid, which comes with a strap to keep the battery case completely on the floor or in place.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:04 PM   #8

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
I put MC4 connectors onto my Renogy Solar Suitcase. They are a little hard to disconnect, but overall, I'm pretty happy with them. Anderson connectors are easier to disconnect.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, smart battery box, solar