So back to this light..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #1

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
So back to this light.....

What the heck? Can't find an old switch, can't follow any wiring, can't get fixture off ceiling without a lot of damage left presumably (see some liquid nails type product coming through a mounting hole), tried changing bulb...

It's above bed '85 scamp
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1399432464.658039.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	70729

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1399432308.012207.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	70727
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Is it possible switched by another light - perhaps one on the end of the overhead bins on the kitchen? Or one of the ones on the rear overhead bins? Scamp has the interior 12 volts on one long run that starts with the outside porch light tapped into it and then the other interior lights tapped into it. It runs in the upper wall area from the porch light back to the kitchen overhead bins and to the rear under the wall covering.

Have you tried pulling it down and testing the line to see if you have 12V power running to it? If no power then try turning on a few other lights in the trailer to see if its tied into one of them. If you have power then just replace it with a new light with a shut off. With it down you will also be able to see what direction the power wire runs to so you will have a clue as to what it is tapped into & possible a poor split connection at that fixture. it also may just be a poor connection on the light itself.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #3

Ohio
It really seems like it's going to do some damage to the ceiling if I get it down... Plus it's riveted through the ceiling which will be a whole can of worms... Could it be possible the light was some how operated by a switch on an old ceiling vent or fan and a PO just cut it and left it in the ceiling?

I just need to look at taking it down tomorrow alittle longer I guess.

And I have no porch light :/
Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer scamp View Post
It really seems like it's going to do some damage to the ceiling if I get it down... Plus it's riveted through the ceiling which will be a whole can of worms... Could it be possible the light was some how operated by a switch on an old ceiling vent or fan and a PO just cut it and left it in the ceiling?

I just need to look at taking it down tomorrow alittle longer I guess.

And I have no porch light :/
Can you actually see the rivets through the roof on top? Or is it simple riveted to a plate on the ceiling? Can you see where they took a fan out? Although I would be surprised if anyone had it switched with a fan. More likely it was connected to another 12 volt light in the trailer - have any of those been removed or replaced? You might find the wires for this one still coming out behind what ever light they removed or replaced.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 AM   #5

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
I would try tracing the wire with a metal detector. You should have a very easy time with this method since the trailer is fiberglass!
You should be able to follow it to it's source in a few minutes. You can also see if there is voltage present with certain sensors. The cheapest available being a holiday light string tester with a current sensor.

If there is no load at all on the line it may be difficult to see using that tool however.

Try an LED light in the socket. They require almost no amperage and can even show you when you have a phantom load. That is, they may light up dimly even with the switch in the off position due to faulty grounds and dielectric failure in wiring. More common in the rain and high humidity.

My porch light on my scamp 16 won't run a normal bulb, but an LED runs full bright. Never bothered to trace it back since I have no desire to run an incandescent bulb anyway. My first guess is corrosion in the switch increasing resistance.

Anyway, hope this helps!
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #6

Ohio
I looked up on top and there are 4 holes caulked for the light. But there is also a self tapping screw sticking down through the metal light bracket... Have to investigate that more.
Obviously there is a black power wire hooked to the bulb fixture but you can also catch a glimpse of a yellow wire under the fixture... There is zero wiggle or movement in that fixture to try and get a better look.

Yes you can see where the old exhaust was. I'll show you a pic tonight.

I was thinking - due to the mass of wires up in the upper cabinet above stove - that it was hooked into the switch of the light on the side of that cabinet but no luck.

Figures I had to get all jumpy and reinstall the rear seating and the storage compartments before I figured this out... This thing may be a 1985 retro ceiling decoration pretty soon....
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #7

Ohio
I heard back from Kent at Scamp... It is not a factory light.

So who knows how it was run.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiFox View Post

My porch light on my scamp 16 won't run a normal bulb, but an LED runs full bright. Never bothered to trace it back since I have no desire to run an incandescent bulb anyway. My first guess is corrosion in the switch increasing resistance.

Humm Maybe I wonder its possible the wires on light are backwards.... more than one person has had to switch the wires on the back on the light to get actually them to work with LED lights. ..
Old 05-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #9

Ohio
Well here it is:
Wires cut off ( I fished them out)

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1399508397.362483.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	70781

And then this:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1399508444.003629.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	70782
A fixture just ' liquid nailed' to the roof with zero wires running to it.

At least I know I'm alittle less crazy since I couldn't find wires running up to it. My only guess is that one of the PO's ran wires across the ceiling to this light, exhaust fan gets taken out, wires get cut. But the original rivet holes are still there - none were in use for this fixture..... But no other wires. Bummer.

I am not ripping ensolite down to get wires there and the mrs gave thumbs down on any wires running on the wall to get up there.

Suggestions???? A ceiling sconce with battery operated light?

Next years plan involves an exhaust fan so I can get power from there to a light .... But in the meantime???
Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
They make battery operated round LED light fixtures . I bought a couple for reading lights in my old Scamp .Mounted them on the bottom of the cabinets with double faced tape Cost about $7 /Ea
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry

Know what?

I think you've just encountered a CLASSIC " why repair a visible hole/flaw if you can camouflage it?" maneuver. Given those wires-to-nowhere, I'd bet dollars to donuts that somebody just found a light fixture that was shaped just right to cover a cosmetic flaw and stuck it up there.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen that approach used/recommended, both here and at other forums. More common on the outside of trailers where plumbing etc. might have been removed etc...but not unknown on the inside either. As I think you just found out.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #12

Ohio
That sounds about right with that assessment.... I think the PO got me with the ole stick up .... This time with a random light.

But I have a 8" dia to cover there.... Going to go with 1/4 luan disc painted to match to cover whole diameter with 4" stick on battery operated led for this year then run wires when I get exhaust fan install.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #13

Registry
The thing is that Scamp has traditionally installed a light in the area above the table. I pulled mine out and put my fantastic fan in its place as many others have & used the wires for the old light to run the fan

Funny that they would install a new (at the time it happened) light but not have any wires connoted to it....doesnt make sense... can't help but wonder whats behind the plate above.

You could cover the mess up with a battery operated light as suggested or you could try and to tap into it by running it under the wall covering.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #14

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
The yellow wire under the fixture is probably the ground wire to the light. Either wrapped around one of the screws or just pressure fit between the fixture and the ceiling material.
frankcfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Humm Maybe I wonder its possible the wires on light are backwards.... more than one person has had to switch the wires on the back on the light to get actually them to work with LED lights. ..

Would be an extremely good point... but I said it runs the LED perfectly and NOT the incandescent bulb

The polarity is correct. I think the switch is just corroded so amps don't flow.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Given that there are already small holes through the fiberglass but no 12v lines, I would use a solar light there. Small panel on the outside running two fine wires to the light and lithium battery inside. You can easily setup a light fixture with a light that runs on USB and a USB lithium battery to keep it plug and play simple. Lots of small solar panels come in USB 5v too. It would be dead easy to setup and you would have a light that runs all nigh for free!

Custom panel batts and charge controllers could be done too, but the USB approach would be cheap and easy if you are not comfortable with electronics.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #17

Ohio
Kenji, do you have a Pic or a link of a light fixture like that? Or is it a buy all the pieces separate and put it together kind of thing?
Thanks
Old 05-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
They make a round metal plate , factory painted white to cover up a damaged ceiling area where an old electric light fixture or a gas light was removed or abandoned . One style is blank the other style has a 4 " hole in the middle for hanging a light fixture (8" to 10 "in overall diameter)
I rewired a lot of old Victorian homes and you would often encounter old abandoned light fixtures
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #19

Ohio
Finally.... Battery operated touch light for this year to get us through

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401848694.981568.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	71927Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401848709.052811.jpg