Soft Start AC - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Posts: 25
Soft Start AC

I am getting tired of lugging around my larger generator and am considering installing a soft start on my Scamp AC to allow us to have AC with a smaller generator. Lets hear it, have any of you done this? Your thoughts, your opinions?
George n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:28 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Name: revrblue
Trailer: 13 Scamp
Florida
Posts: 19
I have a scamp 13 with a 13500 ac and I run it on a ryobi 2200 watt generator. No problem. My scamp is a 2015 . But the generator has a bigger engine which can take the surge when the compressor kicks on. They do not make my generator anymore but look for a 2200 watt generator with a 2.0 engine or bigger. Also it runs my casita 17 as well.
revrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 2,144
Registry
There are two different "soft start" options available. The least expensive is a replacement for the starting capacitor. While it will lower starting current a bit, a much better, although more expensive solution is an "Easy Start" unit. This device uses a microprocessor to lower the compressor starting current.

Some models of Dometic ACs already have the soft start capacitor built in. The Easy Start can also be added and will make a significant difference. Even when connected to a power pedestal, the Easy Start is nice - it eliminates the compressor starting "thump", and lessen the chance of opening the main or pedestal breaker if you are running close to a full load.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
Member
 
Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Posts: 91
Soft Start

I installed the SoftStart on our 2012 Casita Spirit Deluxe over a year ago and have had great success with running air conditioner on house hold current, Honda 2200 generator when needed. Air conditioner does not make that thump sound now when it starts which is great.
Bob C
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:18 AM   #5
Member
 
Name: dave
Trailer: no longer looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
Posts: 51
I like this soft start/easy start technology but I also like my silent 120W solar panels. They work great except for AC. Reefer & hot water runs on propane. Does anyone know what size solar system and AC system I would need to make this work? Does anyone make a propane AC unit? �� ��
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Ontario
Posts: 17
We have a 2019 Escape 17B with factory AC, 13500 btu I assume. It runs well on an older Honda 2000i generator or on the 115/15A garage plug. We have the factory Progressive Surge guard as well and itís happy.

I donít recall any clunk when the AC compressor starts. I find the fan noise is high inside the RV. It certainly works well and while has not been used often itís good to have when you need a good nights sleep.

I have been considering adding the soft start box. The power posts in older campgrounds can be a bit under rated.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
7FC79B9B-5F4F-4941-89E4-0446ADACFBBB.jpeg   B458A412-840D-4F12-A85B-9EF96E6D1010.jpeg  

Lanarkwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
AC0GV's Avatar
 
Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Posts: 1,082
Registry
EAsy start link

Quote:
Originally Posted by George n Mary View Post
I am getting tired of lugging around my larger generator and am considering installing a soft start on my Scamp AC to allow us to have AC with a smaller generator. Lets hear it, have any of you done this? Your thoughts, your opinions?
i have been running my 2017 Scamp A/C on a Honda 2200 but plan to install an easy start this year.
I like this link better. It has the install kit.(but is out of stock)

https://www.amazon.com/Hutch-Mountai...2116896&sr=8-1
AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:01 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Ontario
Posts: 17
I just looked up my Dometic AC unit specifications on the Dometic web site. It appears my AC may have a soft start feature built in. They do not show a BTU rating for this AC . They do indicate only a 15A breaker for it. All the other units in the table show a 20A breaker and larger generator recommended.

The number in the columns are amps, the first number is the compressor current, then the locked compressor rotor amps, this is very high like 70 for most units, but only 5.6 A for my model. Then the fan current, then locked rotor fan current.

There was no mention of this from Escape when we ordered the trailer of picked it up at the factory. It looks like I don’t need the soft start and explains why I don’t recall any starting thump with it.

So check you AC model before ordering the Softstart module. If ordering a new trailer it might be good to ask about this option.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
D4BEBE13-D2C9-4550-9DF0-1A413B16BA72.jpg  
Lanarkwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:25 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Posts: 25
Thanks

Thanks for the input everyone, such a great group of helpful people here.

Bob thanks for suggesting that my AC might already have easy start capability. Our old AC gave up the ghost this summer and we had a new Dometic Brisk II installed in August. I will get the paperwork out and check, I might give Dometic an email as well.
George n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:31 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Ontario
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by George n Mary View Post
Thanks for the input everyone, such a great group of helpful people here.

Bob thanks for suggesting that my AC might already have easy start capability. Our old AC gave up the ghost this summer and we had a new Dometic Brisk II installed in August. I will get the paperwork out and check, I might give Dometic an email as well.
Good luck, I just noticed this when I looked up my model number on the Dometic website. I did notice that the AC unit only drew about 10 Amps while it was running, and the generator hardly coughs when it starts up.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
8B56A629-072D-4530-9E7A-1C1B0FD26F77.jpg  
Lanarkwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:53 PM   #11
Member
 
Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Posts: 91
SoftStart RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob & Jackie C View Post
I installed the SoftStart on our 2012 Casita Spirit Deluxe over a year ago and have had great success with running air conditioner on house hold current, Honda 2200 generator when needed. Air conditioner does not make that thump sound now when it starts which is great.
Bob C
Just to clarify that the SoftStartRV is what I installed to replace stock soft start that came with my trailer. Air conditioner starts easier and overall performance is better.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 2,144
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanarkwanderer View Post
I just looked up my Dometic AC unit specifications on the Dometic web site. It appears my AC may have a soft start feature built in. They do not show a BTU rating for this AC . They do indicate only a 15A breaker for it. All the other units in the table show a 20A breaker and larger generator recommended.

The number in the columns are amps, the first number is the compressor current, then the locked compressor rotor amps, this is very high like 70 for most units, but only 5.6 A for my model. Then the fan current, then locked rotor fan current.

There was no mention of this from Escape when we ordered the trailer of picked it up at the factory. It looks like I donít need the soft start and explains why I donít recall any starting thump with it.

So check you AC model before ordering the Softstart module. If ordering a new trailer it might be good to ask about this option.

Bob
Again, there is a difference between the Dometic ACs that have "Soft Start" and the Micro Air Easy Start or SoftStartRV module. Adding the Micro Air Easy Start module replaces the compressor starting capacitor with a microprocessor controlled start up. This will lower the starting current below what the standard or soft start Dometic AC requires. It can be added to a Dometic with the factory soft start and will both lower the starting & restarting current and eliminate the start up thump that most Dometic ACs exhibit when the compressor kicks on.

I've added A MicroAir Easy Start to my 2017 Escape 21 with a Dometic AC that has the factory built in soft start & it is a definite improvement.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:42 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaco View Post
I like this soft start/easy start technology but I also like my silent 120W solar panels. They work great except for AC. Reefer & hot water runs on propane. Does anyone know what size solar system and AC system I would need to make this work? Does anyone make a propane AC unit? �� ��
Big. The AC pulls on the order of 1200W, or 100A at 12V. So, you need an inverter capable of that plus some more, batteries that can handle a 100A discharge, and probably 1000W of solar bare minimum if you really want to run it as needed instead of here and there. I have 500A of batteries and 800W of solar with a big inverter, and I can run the A/C a little, but definitely not all day or all night. Probably something like 1200Ah of Lithium batteries and 2000W of solar to be able to just use it when you want, and that's obscenely expensive and won't really fit in and on a small trailer.

Switching to something like a high-efficiency mini-split might cut 20-50% off of those requirements, which makes it more doable, but that's a project itself.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
Member
 
Name: dave
Trailer: no longer looking at Parkliner,04 Honda Odyssey
Pennsylvania
Posts: 51
Thanks for the great info Elliott. I think I will stick to fans or get that mini split and a much larger camper!🍻
flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:16 AM   #15
GDB
Junior Member
 
Name: Glenn
Trailer: In The Market
AZ
Posts: 8
My Little Honda Generator

I have a Scamp 16 with factory microwave, Dominic 3 way refrigerator/freezer, and a rooftop-mounted easy-start A/C unit. My little Honda EU 2200i Companion 30a has an electrical receptacle that accepts the 30 amp shore power cord from my Scamp and powers up all three appliances at the same time as it charges the battery. The easy-start A/C addition really makes a significant difference in reducing the size of your generator.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
AC0GV's Avatar
 
Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Posts: 1,082
Registry
My Honda is a twist lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I have a Scamp 16 with factory microwave, Dominic 3 way refrigerator/freezer, and a rooftop-mounted easy-start A/C unit. My little Honda EU 2200i Companion 30a has an electrical receptacle that accepts the 30 amp shore power cord from my Scamp and powers up all three appliances at the same time as it charges the battery. The easy-start A/C addition really makes a significant difference in reducing the size of your generator.
Don't you need an adapter?
Attached Thumbnails
2200i.jpg  
AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
AC0GV's Avatar
 
Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Posts: 1,082
Registry
SOft start / Easy start on Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by George n Mary View Post
I am getting tired of lugging around my larger generator and am considering installing a soft start on my Scamp AC to allow us to have AC with a smaller generator. Lets hear it, have any of you done this? Your thoughts, your opinions?
I ordered one this week and have already received two. I clearly ordered just one but got two in two totally different packages with the same return address. They claim to have sent a pick up order for the spare. (The box is labeled both soft and east start.)
AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #18
GDB
Junior Member
 
Name: Glenn
Trailer: In The Market
AZ
Posts: 8
No, if your shore power cable plug is the type typically found on most RVs. If not, then you will need to buy an adapter.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AC Soft Start install jgilliam1955 Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 18 09-18-2019 05:16 AM
Soft Start device for AC units. NOT a capacitor! Joe Romas Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 24 08-23-2017 01:31 PM
Bigfoot soft floor scott fraser Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 07-07-2007 09:32 AM
Soft Shell Jason L. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 18 01-20-2006 10:09 AM
Soft tonneau cover for pickup trucks. Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 10-25-2002 09:58 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.