solar panel help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #1

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
Angry

I have a 1985 Uhaul VT 16 ft. The aluminium on the solar panel is making the back side a mess, turning it black YUK!!! We are debating on removing the solar panel completely (not hooked up anyway) and putting an antenna in that area. Has anyone ever removed one of these and if so how hard is it to filled the bolt holes? Or if there is something that it can be sprayed with to prevent this. Thanks Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
You can either clean the aluminum, get some Aluminum Primer from a boat store, (Zinc Chromate, $9.00, is not sold in auto parts stores) mask off the panel, prime and paint the frame.

I am sure there will be a day, when you will wish that the solar panel was working ! With some extra wire, it could help charge your vehicle battery. If you were to sell the trailer, that solar panel is a great selling point on a U-Haul.

The other option is to remove the panel, fill the holes with Bondo Spot (in a tube from Walmart auto dept, under $3), sand when hardened, prime, and paint. Then sell the solar panel.

I am sure that there are other ways to address this blackening problem, but these are my first two cents. Penny
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #3

Thanks Penny not real sure what I want to do. If we remove it we will keep it if and when we sell it put it back on.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
If it is just dirty aluminuminum I cleaned all my window frames and belly band (trailer not me ) with a home hardware aluminum cleaner and #0000 steel wool, came up terrific and does not leave any dirt tracks or whatever is bothering your egg. If I didn't have a big giant a/c unit up there I would have installed the solar panels with aluminuminuminum framing up there. Paddy
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yeah, those solar panels are a pain - better sell me the whole U-Haul and I'll take care of it !!!
jaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Yeah, those solar panels are a pain - better sell me the whole U-Haul and I'll take care of it !!!

Not much chance of that we looked for about15 years for one we could afford. These uhauls are made really well. Maggie
Old 07-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Quote Paddy <<<If I didn't have a big giant a/c unit up there I would have installed the solar panels with aluminuminuminum framing up there. Paddy>>>

They make solar panels that attach to the top of your roof air. I have seen them on Ebay.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The aluminum needs to be preped before the Zinc Chromate is applied and the Aluminum Jelly should do the trick.

The hardware store sells a solution named Aluminum Jelly (Blue bottle) that you put on with a paint brush, let it set for a short period of time then wash off and it takes all the crud and oxidation off. Then if you want to preserve it, use the Zinc Chromate as a primer then paint over the Zink Chromate with a finish paint.

If you remove it, why not leave the bolts inplace and caulk around them then when you decide to put it back on, the bolts will already b there. (If not to much of an eye sore)
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
The aluminum needs to be preped before the Zinc Chromate is applied and the Aluminum Jelly should do the trick.

The hardware store sells a solution named Aluminum Jelly (Blue bottle) that you put on with a paint brush, let it set for a short period of time then wash off and it takes all the crud and oxidation off. Then if you want to preserve it, use the Zinc Chromate as a primer then paint over the Zink Chromate with a finish paint.

If you remove it, why not leave the bolts inplace and caulk around them then when you decide to put it back on, the bolts will already b there. (If not to much of an eye sore)

Thats pretty much what I think that we are going to do. My other half wanted to fiberglas the holes but I talked him into using body grommets and sealer, they are flat so they really won't be seen. That way if wish I doubt we ever sell this they can put it back on if they choose too.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
Quote:
Quote Paddy <<<If I didn't have a big giant a/c unit up there I would have installed the solar panels with aluminuminuminum framing up there. Paddy>>>

They make solar panels that attach to the top of your roof air. I have seen them on Ebay.
Hah, if I put 'em up there Eggmeon would become airborne like a big bumble bee at about 40 klicks. And of course I'd need to sell my current nice solar unit at a substantial loss
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel, solar power