Solar Panels & Theft - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 12,019
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Now that you have your solar panel chained , cabled , bolted, welded to everything in sight to prevent theft how are you going to prevent physical damage . A kid with a large rock or a bat or a can of spray paint can render your solar panel useless in seconds.
To what point must you go before paranoia is totally obliterated?
It's about simple, common sense measures, not paranoia.

A cable to a solid object prevents petty, opportunistic theft. I like Tom's suggestion of a strong adhesive to attach a loop. Putting panels at the back of your campsite or otherwise away from where people walk might help a 10-year old boy avoid the temptation of testing his aim.

At home I have locks on my doors and I padlock the gate when we're away from home, but I have not put bars on all the windows. Same principle.

Of course you won't stop a determined thief or a malicious vandal. That's where insurance comes in, but they do expect you to take sensible precautions.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It's about simple, common sense measures, not paranoia.

A cable to a solid object prevents petty, opportunistic theft. I like Tom's suggestion of a strong adhesive to attach a loop. Putting panels at the back of your campsite or otherwise away from where people walk might help a 10-year old boy avoid the temptation of testing his aim.

At home I have locks on my doors and I padlock the gate when we're away from home, but I have not put bars on all the windows. Same principle.

Of course you won't stop a determined thief or a malicious vandal. That's where insurance comes in, but they do expect you to take sensible precautions.
To me when the cost and time spent to prevent something from being damaged or stolen exceeds the cost of the item you are trying to protect then we are entering the realm of paranoia .
Everyone has their own interpretation of reasonable.
I take what I consider reasonable precautions but according to this thread I am well below the standards others think are necessary.
In all my years of camping , the only thing I have ever had stolen was a couple cans of beer , they were not worth $500 worth of security measures nor losing sleep over

Just my humble opinion
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 12,019
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
To me when the cost and time spent to prevent something from being damaged or stolen exceeds the cost of the item you are trying to protect then we are entering the realm of paranoia .
Everyone has their own interpretation of reasonable.
I take what I consider reasonable precautions but according to this thread I am well below the standards others think are necessary.
In all my years of camping , the only thing I have ever had stolen was a couple cans of beer , they were not worth $500 worth of security measures nor losing sleep over

Just my humble opinion
I agree, Steve, but who's talking about $500? I can secure a portable solar panel with a cable for $10-15. How much does a panel cost... $100-150?

I had a $100 bicycle stolen from our campsite during the night. I replaced it, then found out it's popular and no longer made, with used versions going for several hundred dollars on eBay. We take 3 of them with us, so it's worth the cost of a cable to secure those, too.

For a high-ticket item, I would consider a security investment of 10% of its value reasonable. I have not lost a moment's sleep over any of it.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Ice-breaker's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
To me when the cost and time spent to prevent something from being damaged or stolen exceeds the cost of the item you are trying to protect then we are entering the realm of paranoia .
Everyone has their own interpretation of reasonable...
I keep my solar panels fixed to the roof of my trailer, a cheap hitch lock on the front of my trailer, and a cheap cable lock on my bicycles (whether they are on the roof of the truck or leaning against a tree next to the trailer. I don't worry about getting expensive cables or locks, as any determined thief can overcome any lock or cable in very short order if they really want my stuff. The cheap locks and cables are mostly to prevent opportunistic thievery. My insurance coverage is what I mostly rely on to address theft. So far in all of my years of camping, I cannot recall any incidents where I have lost a piece of equipment due to thievery. Although, some kids did run off with one of my shoes one trip when I was hammock camping in Jasper National Park. Found the shoe along the road a couple of hundred metres away on my way out of the campground later that same morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...In all my years of camping , the only thing I have ever had stolen was a couple cans of beer , they were not worth $500 worth of security measures nor losing sleep over...
Yea, I am sorry about that Steve. It was a really hot day and those beers looked ever so inviting. I will return the favor if you are ever out this way.
__________________
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19', 2013 Escape 15B and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,500
Yea, I am sorry about that Steve. It was a really hot day and those beers looked ever so inviting. I will return the favor if you are ever out this way. [/QUOTE]

Please forgive me for doubting your word but it has been my experience that Canadians are extremely honest people and have too good of taste to drink what Americans try to pass off as beer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #46
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Posts: 6,237
Registry
Americans have learned how to make good beer now too. In fact, there is too much good beer out there and I am afraid I will never try it all, but I am sure going to try.

One beer I found on our recent trip to Arizona and is brewed in California is Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout. I tried it with skepticism, but was wonderfully pleased with it, so pleased I drank a dozen down there and brought 3 dozen home.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Ice-breaker's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Americans have learned how to make good beer now too. In fact, there is too much good beer out there and I am afraid I will never try it all, but I am sure going to try.

One beer I found on our recent trip to Arizona and is brewed in California is Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout. I tried it with skepticism, but was wonderfully pleased with it, so pleased I drank a dozen down there and brought 3 dozen home.
Of course, you now have that large new storage box on the back of your Escape 5.0TA that allows you to carry larger quantities of beer home from your trips.

Be careful though, or your figure will soon match the type of beer you drink ... Stout.
__________________
Dave W - 2013 Escape 19', 2013 Escape 15B and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #48
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Posts: 6,237
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Of course, you now have that large new storage box on the back of your Escape 5.0TA that allows you to carry larger quantities of beer home from your trips.

Be careful though, or your figure will soon match the type of beer you drink ... Stout.
You are right on both accounts. My figure is moving that way. I need to pace myself drinking it. I did bring that much back as I like to share.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 3,209
nice trailer in az

a couple in az had a store bought a nice new trailer someone was watching as soon as they left they came and stole it. rumor was it wound up in the oil fields.

they thankfully had insurance but scarey stuff!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #50
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 3,744
Old saying but true. An open door will tempt a saint. Another descriptive term is "honest mans lock"


Discouraging someone from an impulsive snatch and grab of your item is just smart. Good for you, and removing temptation from this sort of person.


A moderately secure lock, or cable will help keep a basically honest person honest. Or a slightly dishonest person more honest than they might be inclined.


The determined thief is only going to not proceed due to discomfort with exposure for too long, or no profit motive to the theft. Making it less easy to walk off with your stuff is aimed at increasing the exposure since you can't do anything about the relative value of the item. Picking up and expensive item that isn't secured is low risk, high reward. Cutting the cable securing a generator has more exposure and the generator didn't become more valuable so the risk reward balance is more in your favor.


I doubt I would leave an unsecured solar panel out while I was away from camp. Removing temptation is good. People covet what they can see. Can't see something to take then won't take it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 3,209
agree

roger I agree with you but now days people are so in need of that drug fix I see no end to their thievery.

I was talking to a sams manager the other day his shrink for the year 500k that is 10k of stolen goods leaving out his store every week. they had just caught 3 big-time thieves that week.

you and I pay for all this!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Posts: 944
$10,000 a week in losses, over $1,400 a day is more than many stores can sustain. In January, Sams abruptly closed 63 stores, leaving it with 597 stores at the end of January. So they closed about 10%.

The old story is that Sam breaks even on the merchandise and makes its profit on membership fees.

Amazon has put a dent in Sam's (& Costco's) business. Millenials are particularly inclined to use Prime delivery, instead of warehouse clubs.

There are no doubt losses in Amazon warehouses. But it isn't customer pilferage. Note Amazon's Prime fee loosely corresponds with Sam's membership fee. My sense is that Amazon has way more Prime members.

https://investorplace.com/2018/01/sa.../#.WqKROCinG00
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #53
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Posts: 6,237
Registry
I have never heard a single report of drugged up thieves travelling out to campgrounds to steal things. Like others, a cooler of beer is about the only thing of temptation I might have that I would keep secured when not around.

We all have our own tolerances towards the risk of thrift. Folks just need to do what they must to be comfortable. I admit to having an easier going and relaxed attitude towards worrying about theft than most do, but this is who I am, it is part of my success in life, and it is not likely to change a lot over time. I have been burned before, and it was no fun, but I am not going to allow this to affect me in the long run. I will protect the ones I love to the nth degree, but for my physical possessions I have insurance.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 3,209
agree

I agree things turning up missing at campgrounds are rare but now with our new advent of thieves getting smarter anything can happen.


sad!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never heard a single report of drugged up thieves travelling out to campgrounds to steal things. Like others, a cooler of beer is about the only thing of temptation I might have that I would keep secured when not around.

We all have our own tolerances towards the risk of thrift. Folks just need to do what they must to be comfortable. I admit to having an easier going and relaxed attitude towards worrying about theft than most do, but this is who I am, it is part of my success in life, and it is not likely to change a lot over time. I have been burned before, and it was no fun, but I am not going to allow this to affect me in the long run. I will protect the ones I love to the nth degree, but for my physical possessions I have insurance.
Jim , by definition alcohol is a mood altering substance or a "drug."
There are plenty of people in campgrounds whose behavior has been affected / altered by alcohol and many times to the detriment of others.
Whether these gangs are roaming campgrounds in search of objects to steal or plunder is debatable but when they run out of liquid refreshment they will search for someone with a full cooler .
At the end of the day you have a new friend and a empty cooler.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #56
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Posts: 6,237
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Like others, a cooler of beer is about the only thing of temptation I might have that I would keep secured when not around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
At the end of the day you have a new friend and a empty cooler.
You missed a part of my post.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #57
Moderator
 
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Posts: 3,744
Things such as an aluminum mast were stolen because scrap aluminum is high value metal. To a dishonest or possibly under the influence person maybe coming in late that looked like a good chunk of money just sitting there.

While I'm sure stuff goes missing from time to time I personally have had someone take something a couple of times. Since I had loaned an axe to the people behind and they had it returned I have no idea if they borrowed it again then left or someone else took it. I was bummed but it wasn't a big deal.

I also had a bike stolen off of a rack on the camper 20 some years ago, was on the road, not camping, and bike was not locked to carrier. That is it in 50 years of camping.

I try to avoid putting temptation in front of people. Tend to keep things such as cameras or laptops out of sight and with me in car when I leave rather than sitting inside camper where they can be seen through window.

Solar panel was $100 so I'm not inclined to leave it laying out while I'm gone but I'm also not going to worry about it too much. I do think it is smart to engrave initials or last name on items that might be stolen. Can help prove a case when the thief is caught.

A thief is like the squirrel raiding the bird feeder in our back yard. Good chance the squirrel can make it to a tree or the fence before the dog catches it. But keep stealing that seed and sooner or later the squirrel learns he has to win that race every time the dog only has to win once. Squirrel or thief, either one will get caught eventually if they keep it up.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
...I do think it is smart to engrave initials or last name on items that might be stolen. Can help prove a case when the thief is caught.....
Driver's License number and state should be used (ex. NC- DL 123456789) Then any LEO can trace it back to you.

But what if a Sagittarius finds it? No idea what a Leo is, but assume it is some kinda policeman.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 5,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Driver's License number and state should be used (ex. NC- DL 123456789) Then any LEO can trace it back to you.

But what if a Sagittarius finds it? No idea what a Leo is, but assume it is some kinda policeman.
OK I don't know who wrote the last part (which I underlined in the above quote) but it WAS NOT me.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #60
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Posts: 6,237
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
OK I don't know who wrote the last part (which I underlined in the above quote) but it WAS NOT me.

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer.
Oops, it was me! I mistakenly hit my moderator edit button instead of the quote button. They are side-by-side on my screen.

And, thanks!
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
solar, solar panel


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer safety & theft socks Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 53 01-09-2016 07:30 PM
Solar Charger and Panels Frederick L. Simson Modifications, Alterations and Updates 109 08-11-2008 10:41 PM
Canadians Who Bought the 54 Watt Solar Panels at Cosco Paddy Morris Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 5 05-26-2006 03:14 PM
Solar Panels Legacy Posts Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 13 04-24-2003 09:09 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.