Solar Panels & Theft - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #61

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Moral training is lost. In my youth, churches where never locked. I didn't know what a bicycle lock looked like. I asked my friend, a Lutheran pastor, why the church is locked,
even during the day? His answer; It's a new world out there.
My solar panels are screwed down and I hope are secure..
Bob Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Curran View Post
M I asked my friend, a Lutheran pastor, why the church is locked, even during the day? .
It's actually so that they don't lose any more parishioners; they can't leave.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #63

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Oops, it was me! I mistakenly hit my moderator edit button instead of the quote button. They are side-by-side on my screen.

And, thanks!
How many beer was that?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
How many beer was that?
None, that could be the problem.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #65

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Drivers license number is good for some items but I have always been reluctant to put that much information on a portable item that could end up in the hands of a thief. Identity theft could be more expensive than solar panel.

Last name is probably enough to prove ownership. But won't help get it returned if collected by police with other stolen property during an arrest.

Unless it is local to the theft and / or the police remember the name from your police report or the item is distinctive enough that they recall it.

I really don't think a lot of stolen property gets returned but I don't really know. I do plan on doing an engraving on the camper frame.

If I come back to camp and find someone else taking camper or gear and you hear me say "squirrel" you can pretty much bet I'm not commenting on the dogs short attention span.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #66

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I really don't think a lot of stolen property gets returned but I don't really know.
According to a cop friend, virtually nothing. In the case of vehicles they are usually badly damaged.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #67
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
To prevent theft, some campgrounds have taken to locking the gates at night. We've been to several N.C campgrounds that have locked the gates as well as a few NFS campgrounds. Pita if you want to get an early start. Not sure what happens if there is an emergency. Hopefully they have a bolt cutters. But then the thieves probably do to.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #68

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
To prevent theft, some campgrounds have taken to locking the gates at night. We've been to several N.C campgrounds that have locked the gates as well as a few NFS campgrounds. Pita if you want to get an early start. Not sure what happens if there is an emergency. Hopefully they have a bolt cutters. But then the thieves probably do to.
Not For Sale Campgrounds? What's that?

I have never seen a gate locked before, they must have an emergency exit then. The legal ramifications if an emergency did come up would be pretty severe.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #69

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
Quote:
National Forest Service
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #70

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We were at an Illinois State Park where at night the entrance was chained closed and the exit lane had tire spike strips. You couldn't get into the park at night but you could get out in an emergency.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #71

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:

I have never seen a gate locked before, they must have an emergency exit then. The legal ramifications if an emergency did come up would be pretty severe.
Usually they give you the key code to a lock on the gate.

We have only had one theft so far. At a small campground over in Arcadia Fl someone took our cooler, grill, chairs and mat. Basically anything that was setting out that day. And the mat was nothing to write home about it was a cheap 6X12 piece of outdoor carpet I got as a remanent at Loews.
Cooler had steaks and beer so that hurt a bit.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #72

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
National Forest Service
Ah, we have National Park Campgrounds like in the US, and Forestry Campgrounds in Alberta, not NFS Campgrounds.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #73

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Drivers license number is good for some items but I have always been reluctant to put that much information on a portable item that could end up in the hands of a thief. Identity theft could be more expensive than solar panel....
That is your choice of course, but consider that civilians do not legally have access to DMV information so they would need to already know your name to pair it to the DL# to even get a start on ID theft. And...

Quote:
I really don't think a lot of stolen property gets returned but I don't really know.... ...
Quote:
According to a cop friend, virtually nothing. ...
True, and the reason is because there is no way to trace it back to the owner. I can't tell you how many times we have found quantities of obviously stolen stuff but there was no way to trace it to the owner. Either the owner did not engrave an traceable number or, if the item had a serial number, the owner did not know it and did not include it with the police report. How many of your toys have serial numbers that you have no record of? I'm guilty of that. Pretty much the only serial numbers I keep up with are for my guns. Cases where there were no traceable numbers and the owner was still found are few and far between.

Quote:
To prevent theft, some campgrounds have taken to locking the gates at night. We've been to several N.C campgrounds that have locked the gates as well as a few NFS campgrounds. Pita if you want to get an early start. Not sure what happens if there is an emergency. ..
A good percentage of the campgrounds I have gone to do in fact lock the gates to the camping area(s). Usually they use a combination lock and give the campers the combination, and some rarely or never change the combination, so its not much security. Also I have seen some places with electronic operated gates which can be opened by the campers after hours with a code they are given at check-in. Thats even less security. If you recall my post about the power meter fire outside my trailer, I left the campground to flag down and lead in the fire trucks, but the darn security gate would not allow more than one vehicle per code entry, so I got back in but the fire trucks could not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
OK I don't know who wrote the last part (which I underlined in the above quote) but it WAS NOT me.
Quote:
Oops, it was me! I mistakenly hit my moderator edit button instead of the quote button. They are side-by-side on my screen. ......
Ahh! For a few seconds I thought schizophrenia had got a hold of me. Then I figured it had to be a moderator edit, but I assumed it was Roger.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #74

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
True, and the reason is because there is no way to trace it back to the owner.
Actually, most items never get recovered at all, and if there was a police report of the items stolen then they do have a good chance to get them back. I was surprised that he said most do not even file a police report unless they need it for insurance purposes.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #75
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Gordon, the campgrounds I'm referring to in NC were state campgrounds (Merchants Millpond, Medoc Mountain, and Cliffs of Neuse). Do you know if that's state policy or did I just get lucky?.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #76

North Carolina
Quote:
Gordon, the campgrounds I'm referring to in NC were state campgrounds (Merchants Millpond, Medoc Mountain, and Cliffs of Neuse). Do you know if that's state policy or did I just get lucky?.
I have no idea if its State Park policy, and I have not been to any of those three. This NC Parks Website says:

In some parks, gates are closed and locked at night; campers can only leave in emergencies.

Lake Norman State Park is right up the road from here and has multiple gates locked at night (I think). When I was there, Stone Mountain State Park (IIRC) locked the gate and told you to call 911 or the ranger's home in case of emergency. But there was no cell phone coverage in the camping area. I found I could make cell calls near the office and picnic area, or use the pay phones at the camping area entrance. At least I could until they took the pay phones out. I took this photo after the pay phones were removed. I was rather concerned about what to do in case of medical emergency.
Attached Thumbnails
Dial911sign_small.jpg  
Old 03-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #77

North Carolina
Quote:
Actually, most items never get recovered at all, and if there was a police report of the items stolen then they do have a good chance to get them back. I was surprised that he said most do not even file a police report unless they need it for insurance purposes.
I did not mean to imply that most stolen items were recovered by police but not returned to the owner, only that those items that are recovered by police (a small fraction of what is stolen), are often not returned because the owner cannot be identified. If the items have traceable information (DL #, Serial #) that can be matched to a police report then yes, the odds are very good they will be returned. That is usually not the case however.

And that is also true about insurance reports.. sometimes I felt more like an insurance company employee than a LEO (AKA Law Enforcement Officer ) That went for traffic collision investigation also.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #78

Registry
I learned two acronyms today, LEO and NFS. Boy, do I feel smart now.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #79

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
I learned two acronyms today, LEO and NFS. Boy, do I feel smart now.
Yay! From now on, when folks type LEO or NFS you won't be SOL.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #80

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Yay! From now on, when folks type LEO or NFS you won't be SOL.
I won't be Sol?
I won't be our sun?
I won't be bright?

You sayin' I am not that smart?

Tags
solar, solar panel