Some Basic Questions Re Solar - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I own a Kyocera that states 80% output after 20 years.

How do they know that?
Old 06-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #62

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How do they know that?

How do you know it's not true?
Old 06-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #63

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It's sometimes hard to tell with Glenn's posting style, but he may just be genuinely asking. My guess is they know through testing, and lots of testing. Probably not testing for 20 years, but maybe running the panels through conditions that simulate that much wear & tear, then testing output? I've never worked in industry so I can only guess. Or I can google.

Quote:
I suggest you read the entire specifications and try to understand them. The first thing I noticed what Renogy specs indicate 80% output at 5 years. This seems to be a bit low to me. I own a Kyocera that states 80% output after 20 years.
This is from the Renogy website:

"25-year power output warranty: 5 year/95% efficiency rate, 10 year/90% efficiency rate, 25-year/80% efficiency rate

5-year material and workmanship warranty"
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
How do you know it's not true?

Try again. I didn't say it's not true.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #65

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Try again. I didn't say it's not true.

I've spent a lot of my life reading specifications and comparing different manufacturer's specifications on almost all electronic parts from resistors and capacitors to processors. What I said was written by each company. Now you can believe or not I don't care.

I think you're just trying to argumentative.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #66

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I think you're just trying to argumentative.
.. I dont think that. Its a fair and reasonable question. After all, the panels are a new model and so have not been around for for than a small fraction of the time frame used in the specs. Renogy is a reputable company so I would think they have some science behind the claim, but those claims are better than the usual PV panel claims. I wonder why. And any manufacturer can claim whatever they want. Will you even be around with your meter in 20 years to check the specs? If you are, they likely wont be.

I would buy Renogy more because of their reputation than some hard to establish spec. Besides, in 5 years time PV panels will probably be so advanced that everyone will dump their old ones anyway, long before the specs are proven or disproved. I know that I am considering selling off my 2 year old Renogy panels for replacement with the new ones.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #67

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
.. I dont think that. Its a fair and reasonable question. After all, the panels are a new model and so have not been around for for than a small fraction of the time frame used in the specs. Renogy is a reputable company so I would think they have some science behind the claim, but those claims are better than the usual PV panel claims. I wonder why. And any manufacturer can claim whatever they want. Will you even be around with your meter in 20 years to check the specs? If you are, they likely wont be.

I would buy Renogy more because of their reputation than some hard to establish spec. Besides, in 5 years time PV panels will probably be so advanced that everyone will dump their old ones anyway, long before the specs are proven or disproved. I know that I am considering selling off my 2 year old Renogy panels for replacement with the new ones.

I'm quite happy with my 12 year old Kyrrpcera which I bought 12 year ago.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #68
tjs

Name: Tom
Trailer: Award
Colorado
Go big

The 2014 FC 25 fwd Bed Twin we purchased when it was just a year old had come from the factory with 300 watts on the roof. In the years since, we have never have had any issues whatsoever. I just decided to replace our two factory installed size 24 Interstate wet cell deep cycle batteries simply because they were 5 years old. But the guy at the battery store said after testing them that they were in excellent shape, better than he had ever seen for batteries that old, and wondered what we do to "maintain" them properly. I said "nothing". The solar panels and system monitor work perfectly and do that for us.

This made me realize that at least for our style of camping, we do not need 6 volt golf cart batteries or AGMs, let alone lithium batteries.

We do not try to run the microwave nor the air conditioner, of course, and we only go roughly 5 days at a time without moving or going to a place with electrical hookups. We do not hesitate to turn on the heater, nor do we hesitate to turn on the fans. We use the lights and the water pump normally.
The fridge and stove are propane, from the factory. And when we are boondocking we are out of TV signal range and do not have a dish, so we do not use the TV. We do listen to the radio. Hope this helps put it into perspective.
tjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #69

Montana
Yep, what you've got is a nice case of "overkill". In a good way. If you have plenty of solar, you never need to worry about a thing. For people on a budget or just dipping their toes into solar, it's good to start smaller, and only buy the amount of solar which is adequate for their heaviest average use.

I'm currently adding up all my actual electronic use, and plan to size my system accordingly. But if I had bought my trailer with 300watts of solar and two batteries, I'd be looking for ways to use more electricity! That would be a change.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #70

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
FWIW, several friends of mine had flexible panels fail within a year of camper rooftop installation. now, I know my son's were the cheapest things he could find on fleabay, I dunno about the others... my son's were mounted on a perfectly flat top ambulance roof, using suitable adhesives. he's since switched to rigid panels mounted on standoffs, still going strong 2 years later.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #71

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I do get a lot of negative comments on my Lensun semi-flexible panels on RV websites mostly due to old history on these type units, but be sure I researched them out to the nth degree, and even contacted a couple people with them, though most only had them a short while as they are a new product. They have dealt with all the issue previous companies had with their, like the scratching easily, cupping, etc. Mine over two years look and perform just like new. Not the cheapest panel, but in my mind worth the cost. This new technology would be my preference in any RV solar installation in the future. Well, unless something better came along.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #72

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
regarding batteries... once while i was camp hosting i met a guy from canada that had the most amazing solar system i'v seen before or since. i can't begin to offer any technical details except there were panels of all sizes everywhere and his "energy room" was nearly as large as the bathroom in my casita. there was a stacks of lithium ion batteries approaching 4 feet tall. he had no provision for 120v power in his rather large fiberglass trailer (can't remember the brand). with this he claimed to be able to do it all...one time while we were talking outside his wife could be heard using her electric hair dryer and there was a chicken roasting in the oversized toaster/oven.

the one piece of advice he passed on was "don't spend a lot of your $ on batteries at first. get everything worked out on the generating aspect of the solar system because you'll likely fry some batteries in the process". this seemed like good advice to me and i've followed it. my system was completed and working great with the 12v interstate battery that was oem specs for my casita. after testing and living with that for a while i was ready to upgrade the power storage portion of the set up. so far, so good...

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #73

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
the one piece of advice he passed on was "don't spend a lot of your $ on batteries at first. get everything worked out on the generating aspect of the solar system because you'll likely fry some batteries in the process". this seemed like good advice to me and i've followed it. my system was completed and working great with the 12v interstate battery that was oem specs for my casita. after testing and living with that for a while i was ready to upgrade the power storage portion of the set up. so far, so good...

p@
I totally agree. That’s what I’ve been doing. Started our with a generator (sorry JIM), added all LED lights, after a couple of years began to think about deep cell batteries (to delay need for the generator), added a stereo system and a stovetop pressure cooker (to sub for the microwave). So the generator is still there as a backup. Seen, but rarely heard, which is my continued goal.

Bit now, I’d like to add a fan to the mix, and look to solar to help power that fan on hot days without depending on the generator. Plus there’s that pesky CPAP.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #74

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Let me update you all.

My need to move to solar has not changed. However, we are purchasing a Bigfoot 21RB, which comes with a fan, microwave & stereo.
Unfortunately, no solar (or generator). So, taking Civilguy’s advice, we’ll be estimating energy requirements & going for solar. Next winter’s project.

MY BIGFOOT 19 IS UP 4 SALE. I’ll be finalizing the add today. But please pass the word. This is an amazing trailer. I have dry camped with it for years and have kept it in great shape. The only reason I am selling it is because my newly retired husband has joined me and we now need a dedicated bed. FYI, the generator is included.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #75

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Back to the toast. We butter the bread and toast it on the griddle for a few minutes. It comes out evenly toasted. Bagels are a bit harder to toast this way unless you cut them very straight. I usually press down on them for even toastiness.

I have 2 100 watt rigid Renogy solar panels that we carry in the truck and only use when we are stationary for more than a couple days. I have them mounted on some suction cups and run paracord over the top attached to the rear bumper to hold them in place. The lower panel attaches to the upper one with a couple metal clips I made and short lengths of paracord. The lower panel is then attached to the tongue. It takes about 5 minutes to set them up. Naturally I have to point the trailer south. The fridge uses about 15 AH over night and the battery (LFP) is 100 % by 10:30 in the morning with a cloudless sky. I need to collect more data in other conditions.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #76

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
added a picture
Attached Thumbnails
1-IMG_0682.JPG  
Old 06-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #77

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Let me update you all.

My need to move to solar has not changed. However, we are purchasing a Bigfoot 21RB, which comes with a fan, microwave & stereo.
Unfortunately, no solar (or generator). So, taking Civilguy’s advice, we’ll be estimating energy requirements & going for solar. Next winter’s project.

MY BIGFOOT 19 IS UP 4 SALE. I’ll be finalizing the add today. But please pass the word. This is an amazing trailer. I have dry camped with it for years and have kept it in great shape. The only reason I am selling it is because my newly retired husband has joined me and we now need a dedicated bed. FYI, the generator is included.
Fan uses very little DC power at the lower speeds, maybe 2-5 amps at highest speed. see table here for a 3-speed fantatsic fan vs a 10 speed maxxfan...

typical car stereo uses under 1 amp at anything short of ear blasting volume. a subwoofer amplifier might use more but most folks don't have those in their campers. I have one here with a volt/amp meter connected to a 12V 20AH battery, its using 0.58 amps right now listening to FM radio at medium volume into a pair of indoor/outdoor patio speakers.

a microwave is a 120V AC only device, and uses around 700-1000 watts when its actually running. 1000 watts is 8 amps at 120V, but its 80 amps at 12V (or maybe 100 amps, if you allow for DC-AC inverter conversion efficiency). saving grace is you rarely run a microwave on high for more than a couple minutes

so, the total amp*hour usage per day would be the number of amps used times the number of hours used. my 0.58 amp stereo for 10 hours would be 5.8 amp*hours. a 1000 watt microwave for 5 minutes would be 8 amp*hours. with lead acid batteries, including AGM, you should divide the battery amp*hour rating by 2 to get the useful amp hours, so dual golf cart batteries at 220AH, thats 110AH total usable.

solar, I divide rooftop solar watt rating by 2 or even by 3 to get average output, and figure 8 hours useful sun per day. so my 160 watt rooftop solar on my Escape, I figure thats good for about 60 or 80 watts for 8 hours, 80 watts is ~ 7 amps, so thats 7*8 = 50 amp*hours per day. in reality its probably better than that if you in the open in the summer and its a clear sunny day.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #78

Montana
Wow, exciting! I’d love to buy your 19, but my truck is already maxed out with my 17. Good luck!

Tags
solar