Surge protection... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #1

Name: Marc
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Surge protection...

Just wanted to see who uses a surge protector an voltage regulator when using a generator or plug power? Plus if you do what are your recommendations?

Sent from my HTC One using Fiberglass RV mobile app
ironfist104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What do you have in the egg that requires surge protection?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Oh not much just when I want to use my laptop for a DVD player. Most generators surge....

Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
For AC voltage, an old trick was to put a loose overhand knot in the power cord. Induction squelched the surge. The power cord might fry, but the equipment was protected.

If you are using an ac/dc adapter, you should be relatively well protected.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In as much as portable generators that can be used in a campground are pretty much limited to inverter units, such as the Honda 2000 series, I don't know that "surge" is much of a problem any more.

But that said, as most laptop power supply bricks are labeled for 100-250VAC, they should be able to provide enough protection for your computer.

But, due to restrictions on generator use, I'd suggest opting for a battery/inverter setup to power the computer anyway. In addition to lighting, water pump, etc. we usually get 3 nights of DVD player/Flat screen usage from a Group 27 battery before getting down to a 50% charge.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
For AC voltage, an old trick was to put a loose overhand knot in the power cord. Induction squelched the surge.

I am going to throw the "BS" flag on this unless somebody can show me some science. Of course, it seems like every cord I own is always tangled and knotted so maybe they are made to do so for surge protection.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Ya well I have a 300w inverter and a 20w solar panel. And a battery. I'm still trying to see how long it will take to charge up a battery with that panel....

Old 08-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
For AC voltage, an old trick was to put a loose overhand knot in the power cord. Induction squelched the surge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I am going to throw the "BS" flag on this unless somebody can show me some science. Of course, it seems like every cord I own is always tangled and knotted so maybe they are made to do so for surge protection.
It's worked so many times and you didn't know it. I would show you my rat's nest, but having just installed a new computer my wires are in relatively good order............for me.

Actually, my internet research shows arguments both ways, some from electrical types and some anecdotal.

I remember it from one of the computer maintenance and repair books I had years ago. It had to do with AC cords and power strikes; the high frequency of the lightning causing a massive induction in the knot, generating a reverse pulse, which protected the equipment, but many times fried the cord, the cheaper element in the chain. My thought was, 'It can't hurt."

I do use surge suppressors now for all lines coming into the computer.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
It's worked so many times and you didn't know it. I would show you my rat's nest, but having just installed a new computer my wires are in relatively good order............for me.

Actually, my internet research shows arguments both ways, some from electrical types and some anecdotal.

I remember it from one of the computer maintenance and repair books I had years ago. It had to do with AC cords and power strikes; the high frequency of the lightning causing a massive induction in the knot, generating a reverse pulse, which protected the equipment, but many times fried the cord, the cheaper element in the chain. My thought was, 'It can't hurt."

I do use surge suppressors now for all lines coming into the computer.

A lightening strike is a whole lot different than a surge from a generator and, that knot idea, as long as it is an Electrician's #88 knot might help.

But, that said, it also can hurt if not tied correctly, resulting in reverse electron flow in the exterior of the plumas dielectron barrier.

AND... putting a knot in a cord can stress the stranded wires, breaking them and reducing the effective size of the wire. That alone may explain why they get fried at the knot.

BTW: The mentioned Electricians #88 knot is a secret and proprietary knot, directly descended from the Gordian knot and, for the same reason is seldom used as it's impossible to untie afterwards.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #10

Louisiana
Registry
Thanks Bob. I have always suspected as much, but until now had now proof.

Oh, and per my original post, I did say a 'loose' overhand knot.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #11

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
One of my first additional equipment I added to my Scamp. A surge protector $100-150 spent to protect entire investment of many $100. Have I needed it.. it may have just done its job in the last 2 hours. Thunderstorms passing through the area I'm at electricity went out for few minutes. If a $ 100-150 save the AC and or refrigerator money well spent to me.
I've seen a large 5wheel burned out, due to electric issue. It was where I was staying and a few power post was incorrectly wired.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What is weird, I was going to buy one as well...at Camping World. The guy talked me out of it!! But he mentioned that it would definitely catch miswired pedestals. I agree with you, yours may have just paid for itself! Like insurance: It only takes ONE time...

Darral in TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
One of my first additional equipment I added to my Scamp. A surge protector $100-150 spent to protect entire investment of many $100. Have I needed it.. it may have just done its job in the last 2 hours. Thunderstorms passing through the area I'm at electricity went out for few minutes. If a $ 100-150 save the AC and or refrigerator money well spent to me.
I've seen a large 5wheel burned out, due to electric issue. It was where I was staying and a few power post was incorrectly wired.
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #13

Ontario
Registry
Which one you buy?

Old 08-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Too much stuff these days has a computer chip somewhere at the front end - microwave, thermostat, stereo, air conditioning, etc. I spent over 30 years in the computer manufacturing industry and consider it extremely cheap insurance, even at home. Would never think of not having it when plugging into unknown power sources.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #15

Geee... an $8 outlet tester would spot the problems with a miswired pedestal. I have one and use it every time I have power hook-ups. In more years than I can count I have found a few missing grounds, but never a miswired hot line. But then again I don't have an a/c unit, a microwave or a stereo system in my rig to worry about.

If I even think that there might be lightning, I just pull the plug out of the post and go onto battery.

I know that's sorta like 70's thinking, but my rig is a 70's rig.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have one, it was one of the build sheet options for my Escape 5.0TA, it's built in... not an add-on to the power bush. With all the electronics, expensive appliances and electronic readouts I now have... seemed like cheap insurance. I just plug in the trailer, go about hooking up the water/sewer (maybe) and a couple of minutes later go inside the trailer and check the readout for clean power. Looking for an E0 reading and I'm good to go!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #17

Ontario
Registry
Still no direct answer on the original question....

Old 08-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #18

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I have one like on Tractors1 site it plugs into power pole and cord.
I do have a GFCI testor and use before hookup to Scamp..... I was referring to the lightning storms passing through the area yesterday. Much less brown outs / power surge happen.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I don't believe there is a surge protector out there that will protect you from a lightning strike. A bolt hit our 4 foot wide brick chimney one night, and blew it to smithereens. We lived in the suburbs in MI at the time. The brick shrapnel dented the garage door across the street, and 100 ft away! Everyone whose property bordered ours lost some appliances. Everything electrical that was plugged into the wall, including our surge protected computer was fried. Ours, and all our neighbors lost their in-ground sprinklers. The gas meter which sat near the chimney, was knocked off the gas pipe and natural gas was shooting up into the air 6" from the house. Thank God the phone worked. The gas company was there in a New York minute to cap it off. All told, damage to our home alone amounted to nearly $20K. Those were 1990 dollars.

Our Electronics and Commo guy told me that the surge protectors you buy for computers protect you from power surges and outages, but not lightning. I believe him.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfist104 View Post
Still no direct answer on the original question....

Actually post 11, 14 and 16 answered one of your original questions as to whether or not they use a surge protector.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote