Surge Protectors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #1

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
Surge Protectors

I just emailed Grant @ Bigfoot to see if a surge protector could be installed as part of the build process.

Anyone have this done at the build time or have it as an add on? I would think (correct me if I am wrong) that it would suit to have it done from the start?
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #2

Name: Ben
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Foster View Post
I just emailed Grant @ Bigfoot to see if a surge protector could be installed as part of the build process.

Anyone have this done at the build time or have it as an add on? I would think (correct me if I am wrong) that it would suit to have it done from the start?
I have a 21RB and wired a Progressive Industries with remote display myself and it was pretty easy.

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have the factory surge protector (EMS) in our 21 ft SOB
For us it has been more problems than it’s worth and if we had to do it over again would not choose that option
I don’t have one at home and see no use for one on my trailer .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
i have the Progressive built in one with the remote display. the only 'issue' is at home, the outlet I use to plug in the trailer doesn't have a good ground, so I have to turn the EMS off or it intermittently faults.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i have the Progressive built in one with the remote display. the only 'issue' is at home, the outlet I use to plug in the trailer doesn't have a good ground, so I have to turn the EMS off or it intermittently faults.
Sounds like you have some home repair work that needs your attention.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #6

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Sounds like you have some home repair work that needs your attention.
its a 1950 house, most of the original wiring is 2-wire. someone went through and installed 3-prong outlets in select places but the only ground is the conduit, and its not very reliable.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #7

British Columbia
Surge Protector

I actually believe the opposite of a need for a surge protector...house and trailer.

With so many electronics in any home, a surge protector was installed in my new home before anything was plugged in.

As far a trailer is concerned....a new one at that.....I would rather not replace my fridge, at my cost, because I did not have a surge protector in place.

Grant confirmed that they do not install them at build time.....

I'll research the Progressive brand. Many thanks for the info.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #8

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I actually believe the opposite of a need for a surge protector...house and trailer.

With so many electronics in any home, a surge protector was installed in my new home before anything was plugged in.

As far a trailer is concerned....a new one at that.....I would rather not replace my fridge, at my cost, because I did not have a surge protector in place.

Grant confirmed that they do not install them at build time.....

I'll research the Progressive brand. Many thanks for the info.
Good luck with your search . The most expensive piece of electronic equipment in our home is our $200 Walmart TV —- no computer - no printer - no internet - no cable tv - no stereo- no VCR — no dvd player— no satellite tv — no digital watch or clock —no laptop—-no hotspot— no nothing
In fact we still have a rotary phone and we heat with wood

We don’t have it at home so we don’t need /want it camping
Your circumstances are different , and I wish you would have stated that in your original post .
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #9

British Columbia
Surge Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Good luck with your search . The most expensive piece of electronic equipment in our home is our $200 Walmart TV —- no computer - no printer - no internet - no cable tv - no stereo- no VCR — no dvd player— no satellite tv — no digital watch or clock —no laptop—-no hotspot— no nothing
In fact we still have a rotary phone and we heat with wood

We don’t have it at home so we don’t need /want it camping
Your circumstances are different , and I wish you would have stated that in your original post .
My original post..that I was interested to see if any used a surge protector as an add on?

Copy...you are posting with "no computer - no printer - no internet"

Please don't waste everyone's time.

My true response would be deleted.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #10

Name: Ben
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Most of the electronics are powered off the 12v buss so bad 120v shouldn't affect them too much. What I am more worried about is the air conditioner. For the 7 years I owned my last trailer, I never plugged.in, other than at my house (the trailer didn't have an air conditioner). After reading stories about bad power at campgrounds, I thought a power monitor good insurance. While camping last summer through the SW, we used our air conditioner as did many others in the campground. The voltage sagged a bit in the evening when everyone was back at camp but the power monitor never tripped. I was glad I had it though, knowing my air conditioner was protected.
The unit i have (Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C) monitors more than voltage spikes, it monitors all aspects of the incoming power and will disconnect power if if determines that it can be harmful to the trailer and components.
But back to the original question, as I said, it's pretty easy to install. The power cable entering the trailer had plenty of slack so cut it where I wanted the power monitor box, stripped the wires back and attached them. The electrical 'closet' in my Bigfoot had plenty of room for it plus other things I added (stuff for my solar panels).

Ben
btroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
My original post..that I was interested to see if any used a surge protector as an add on?

Back at ya. "Don't wast everyone's time with silly questions."
Old 05-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:

On a more serious note. Many if not all of today's 120 VAC devices are designed to work on 240 VAC 50 Hz as well. Since 130 VAC is sometimes found it's ok. Now for Surge protectors. 260VAC = a peak of 267 Volts. I don't most surge protectors can with stand that therefore if you get spike large enough to destroy one of your 120VAC devices or appliances you've probably wiped out the surge protector.

In my opinion a surge protector isn't worth the expense.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #13

Mid Left Coast
those progressive EMS things are more than just 'surge protectors', they are power conditioners, and circuit testers. if the voltage is low, they step it back up some, like 90 back to 115, if its a bit high, they step it down, like 140 to 115... if its out of range, or phase reversed, or poor quality ground, they shut it off entirely.

my biggest concern would be bad campground power frying my DC power converter.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
those progressive EMS things are more than just 'surge protectors', they are power conditioners, and circuit testers. if the voltage is low, they step it back up some, like 90 back to 115, if its a bit high, they step it down, like 140 to 115... if its out of range, or phase reversed, or poor quality ground, they shut it off entirely.

One more gadget to spend your money on. Have fun.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:23 PM   #15

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
One more gadget to spend your money on. Have fun.
mine came built into my escape 21, factory install. 2014 trailer bought 2nd hand.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #16

NW Wisconsin
Thumbs down

Quote:

I have the same Progressive surge protector as you
I have had to make repairs / adjustment to it on several occasions and saw no components that were capable of boosting or lowering voltage
It appears to be nothing more than a monitor that shuts the power off when the voltage goes above or below the set perimeters and clips small spikes in the voltage . Mine has been in the bypass mode for the last 8 months without ill affects . It will probably remain in the bypass mode in the future .
In a trailer equipped with standard features the only thing I see is that it protects the A/C from low voltage . It provides little or no protection for the 12 VDC system ( Refrigerator control board , furnace control board , roof fan.)
When we go camping the only electronics we carry is a cell phone , which may or may not work in the area we’re in .
On our last trip out West we had no TV or cell phone service for a week and survived.

I am sorry the OP took my posts the wrong way but when you ask a question you have to expect you will get honest answers that don’t agree with your position
Old 05-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #17

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
My dad smoked cigarettes all his life and never died of cancer.

Didn't waste our money on a surge protector. Then one day we came back to our Casita and our power center/converter was fried. There were at least three others near us in the campground that either fried their power centers or air conditioners. Cost over $300 to replace the power center, including installation and lost a couple of weeks of camping. I wonder what it cost those who lost their air conditioners. We have a Progressive Industries EMS wired in to our camper now.

One thing people need to do is check their wiring once in a while. I did in our Casita, but some sort of brownout fried us and the neighbors, not bad wiring in our camper. It happens more often than some people realize.

After actually having a fried power center it gives us peace of mind. I could care less about the contrarians, especially one in particular that seems to have way more problems than others and loves to complain about them. Glass half full or half empty?

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
My dad smoked cigarettes all his life and never died of cancer.

Didn't waste our money on a surge protector. Then one day we came back to our Casita and our power center/converter was fried. There were at least three others near us in the campground that either fried their power centers or air conditioners. Cost over $300 to replace the power center, including installation and lost a couple of weeks of camping. I wonder what it cost those who lost their air conditioners. We have a Progressive Industries EMS wired in to our camper now.

One thing people need to do is check their wiring once in a while. I did in our Casita, but some sort of brownout fried us and the neighbors, not bad wiring in our camper. It happens more often than some people realize.

After actually having a fried power center it gives us peace of mind. I could care less about the contrarians, especially one in particular that seems to have way more problems than others and loves to complain about them. Glass half full or half empty?

Enjoy,

Perry

simple cheap answer. Get rid of the expensive "power center". Live off grid. No more problems.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:47 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
simple cheap answer. Get rid of the expensive "power center". Live off grid. No more problems.

Live off grid? So your Ram requires no fuel, nothing?
Old 05-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Live off grid? So your Ram requires no fuel, nothing?

What RAM?

Tags
bigfoot