Tail Light Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2022, 09:30 PM   #1

Name: Willy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Tail Light Replacement

Hi all. So I recently sorted out all the lights on my 1979 Bigfoot. The tail lights work great now, signals, brakes and all, as well I replaced all the marker lights and they work and look great! The tail lights seem to be original, although they work I was thinking of replacing the whole assembly anyway then all my lights are new. The issue is they measure 4.5"x8.5" and I can't seem to find a replacement that size. I was thinking I could just buy the smaller ones at Princess Auto or some on Amazon but thought id post for any suggestions or advice!! Thanks in advance!
WillyBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
there should be a DOT number on the lens, try googling that, if they work good, and the sockets are good, I would say keep them.
Many here have replaced the guts inside the taillight with some type of led, ranging from an LED bulb, to a different led light in the same enclosure... options are endless

at the risk of being controversial, if keeping original, take the bulb out, coat the brass part and the contacts with dielectric grease, and put them back in, this will stop the sockets from corroding, and the spring pressure will displace enough grease for a good contact

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:11 PM   #3

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacDonald View Post
there should be a DOT number on the lens, try googling that, if they work good, and the sockets are good, I would say keep them.
Many here have replaced the guts inside the taillight with some type of led, ranging from an LED bulb, to a different led light in the same enclosure... options are endless

at the risk of being controversial, if keeping original, take the bulb out, coat the brass part and the contacts with dielectric grease, and put them back in, this will stop the sockets from corroding, and the spring pressure will displace enough grease for a good contact

Joe
Awesome thanks Joe! I will check the DOT number. They seem to work fine so maybe I can just keep them and clean up etc. There is just a lot of corrosion etc and not the best contact with the bulbs. And the wiring is pretty old and the connections look sketchy. Even stripping back the wire and reconnecting may help. I’ll take it all apart and see what happens !
Old 07-23-2022, 08:20 AM   #4

Alberta
Hey I was able to find some using the DOT number. Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #5

Name: Charles
Georgia
Those are Bargman series 84 lights. Do you need new mounting bases or just the lenses?

The lenses can be found on Amazon as LED upgrades such as this.........

Basic Bargman taillight and backup light with the base

LED upgrade that just plugs into the bulb socket so no additional rewiring.

LED upgrade

Charles
Old 07-25-2022, 10:45 PM   #6

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Those are Bargman series 84 lights. Do you need new mounting bases or just the lenses?

The lenses can be found on Amazon as LED upgrades such as this.........

Basic Bargman taillight and backup light with the base

LED upgrade that just plugs into the bulb socket so no additional rewiring.

LED upgrade

Charles
Hey thanks ! I actually just received the whole assemblies I ordered on amazon, bases and all using the DOT #. They look pretty good the brand is Peterson. My bases are not bad but thought I'd replace as I replaced every other light on the trailer.

Quick question for everyone tho, they came with the ground wire attached, but no other wires, there's just multiple holes in the back of the base to put the wire in where the stop/signal bulb bracket is on the other side of the base (like the inside of the fixture) . How the heck do I attach my wires to this!!?? Any ideas??
Old 07-26-2022, 08:06 AM   #7

got a picture?
or a part number?

Joe
Old 07-26-2022, 04:05 PM   #8

Alberta
Quote:
got a picture?
or a part number?

Joe
I’ll see if I can upload a pic later. The DOT part no. was 910-950 I believe
Old 07-26-2022, 07:00 PM   #9

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
DOT 910-950 makes perfect sense. See this post: https://www.etrailer.com/question-289372.html. I got mine from straight from Scamp. Work great and are bright during sunny daytime hours!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:26 PM   #10

Alberta
Quote:
got a picture?
or a part number?

Joe
Here I’ll try the pics ……
Attached Thumbnails
50006F41-96A9-4012-8A40-B5748C91AF0C.jpg   90183310-944E-42F3-A1EA-BC82E55B1717.jpg  

DF448C85-2BCE-482A-8775-3FD0A5A8A855.jpg  
Old 07-26-2022, 07:28 PM   #11

Alberta
I think it worked. So all there is is holes that run to the back of the contacts for the bulb. I’m just not sure how to attach them, there must be some sort of way that they’re designed for? I’ve just never seen this before ! Thanks !
Old 07-26-2022, 07:30 PM   #12

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
DOT 910-950 makes perfect sense. See this post: https://www.etrailer.com/question-289372.html. I got mine from straight from Scamp. Work great and are bright during sunny daytime hours!
Thanks I saw that thread when I was researching ! It was the 4.5”x8.5” I needed. It took putting the DOT # in to find on Amazon
Old 07-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #13

strip the wire, if you know how to solder, tin the ends, push the stripped end through the hole, it will be gripped by the silver tab on the opposite side. not the best, but my marker lights work the same way.

Joe
Old 07-27-2022, 04:23 PM   #14

Alberta
Quote:
strip the wire, if you know how to solder, tin the ends, push the stripped end through the hole, it will be gripped by the silver tab on the opposite side. not the best, but my marker lights work the same way.

Joe
Ok thanks I’ll try that ! Yes I soldered all my marker lights. I’m not the best at soldering but not bad. So the tab just grips the tinned end ??
Old 08-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #15

Alberta
Quote:

Joe
So I got them installed last week. I see how the tabs work now. At first I was skeptical of the design but the tabs actually gripped the wire pretty well. Thanks again !

Tags
light