Taillights and Bicycles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Taillights and Bicycles

Need some advice… We sometimes carry two bicycles on the back of our Scamp. Last year we became aware that the taillights were largely obscured, which is not a good thing when you are traveling 60 mph on a 75mph interstate at night. I am considering two possible solutions to improve lighting visibility, and I'd welcome input and advice.

The first is an LED strip installed right next to the rear window. There is about 1-1/2" of flat surface on either side of the window, which is 18" high:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rearwindow.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	82177
I found this 17"x1-3/8" LED strip, which looks like it would fit into that flat space very neatly:
Sealed, Streamline LED Trailer Stop, Turn and Tail Light, 3-Function, 11 Super Diodes Optronics Trailer Lights STL79RB

Name:	Taillight.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	82178

The alternative I am considering is to mount two pedestal lights on a PVC pipe, which would attach to the bike rack using a third (unused) bicycle mounting spot and plug into the trailer wiring via a 4-way(?) plug under the back end. That would put the lights just above the level of the belly band and behind the bicycles. We'd only use it when we have bikes. The obvious advantages are no new holes in the shell and not having to fish wires under the rat fur.

Name:	Taillight2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	82176

Any thoughts about the practicalities or legalities of either solution?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I put lights on my rear mount bike rack that I use on our Uhaul. Next will be a high mount strip light above the window or convert the rear markers to tail / turn / stop lights. Don't have any pictures. I think you're on the right track here to add extra lights in one form or another
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

Arizona
Registry
Bob, how did you tie the lights on the rack into the trailer?
Old 04-02-2015, 07:33 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I tapped into the wiring at the front of the trailer, ran another 4 wire cord under the trailer to the rear and put a 4 wire flat plug there to mate with one on the bike rack. So when the rack is off I just unplug the wiring in the rear. BUT, since Uhaul tail lights are known to be not the brightest, I made up a light bar with another set of lights that goes into the rear receiver. A junction box mounted on the tongue will make a neater installation than what I did, I'll redo it eventually.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Thanks, Bob.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Need some advice… We sometimes carry two bicycles on the back of our Scamp. Last year we became aware that the taillights were largely obscured, which is not a good thing when you are traveling 60 mph on a 75mph interstate at night. I am considering two possible solutions to improve lighting visibility, and I'd welcome input and advice.

The first is an LED strip installed right next to the rear window. There is about 1-1/2" of flat surface on either side of the window, which is 18" high:
Attachment 82177
I found this 17"x1-3/8" LED strip, which looks like it would fit into that flat space very neatly:
Sealed, Streamline LED Trailer Stop, Turn and Tail Light, 3-Function, 11 Super Diodes Optronics Trailer Lights STL79RB
Attachment 82178

The alternative I am considering is to mount two pedestal lights on a PVC pipe, which would attach to the bike rack using a third (unused) bicycle mounting spot and plug into the trailer wiring via a 4-way(?) plug under the back end. That would put the lights just above the level of the belly band and behind the bicycles. We'd only use it when we have bikes. The obvious advantages are no new holes in the shell and not having to fish wires under the rat fur.
Attachment 82176

These were in addition to the stock lights and are at least as bright and visible as the stock tail lights (Really more) The strip is the tail light, the round one is the brake/turn signal. Exclamation point when activated.
Attached Thumbnails
sm3.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Taillights and Bicycles

I was also planning to trade out the stock taillights for round LEDs, so if I choose door #1, I guess I'd end up with an exclamation, too . Looks like there are no issues mounting that close to the window, something I wondered about.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
YES, the LED strip lamps are good! Be sure you get the one that has LEDs along the full length. You can drill holes through the fiberglass and snake wires down behind the rat fur to splice into the stock tail lamp wires. Remove the bench boards for access to the inside wires.
I had replaced the stock tail/stop/turn lamps with LED units some years ago, but they were still not bright enough to my liking. The strip lamps mounted up high are better to alert drivers behind you, They work with the brakes and turn signals. We do not have a bike rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Attachment 82177
Attachment 82178

Attachment 82176

Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #9

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
bike rack is something wanted to add the lights above window idea is good; will look into the units
Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
have tire at back so will have to consider it in setup
Old 04-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #11

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
How about getting a bike rack for the front of ur car ? Could have a problem with the trailer fishtailing ? Just a thought ! ��
mexbob5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
You can tap into the tail lights at the rear inside under the rat fur below the table. Drill a hole down through the wood floor and hook up a flat plug. Then just silicone the hole closed the wire goes through.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Taillights and Bicycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexbob5150 View Post
How about getting a bike rack for the front of ur car ? Could have a problem with the trailer fishtailing ? Just a thought ! ��

Thanks for the warning. I have been very aware of the possibility from the get-go, and more so since I have read the many discussions here. We are very careful about how we load the trailer. So far we have made five trips, including three long ones, without any sway issues.

Safe travels!

Tags
light, lights