Thinking about a generator. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #21

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Had a 1kw yamaha generator, even though it was rated at 68 decibels it seemed louder than the Hondas also rated a 68 decibels, either are very reliable. These days you can get a bigger bang for your dollar buying panels , inverters and batterys than you can with generators.
We spend winters in central Mexico and do not have an air conditioner, roof vent fans such as fantastic or = keep us cool.
What ever you do, please do not be one of the generator jerks that turns on his generator then leaves, to go for a walk or drive, leaving the rest of us to listen to his generator.
Tony.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #22

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
We successfully used our Honda 2000 to run the 9000 BTU A/C in our Casita. It would not run the 13,500 BTU unit in our Escape. Our Bigfoot has an 11,000 BTU unit, and the Honda will run it, at least here at sea level. Have not tried it in the mountains yet.

If I didn't already own it, I'd buy the Honda 2200. Just enough extra power to run small A/C's. Same price as the Honda 2000 it replaces.

If the Air Conditioner is the main issue there is another option. Atwood is making an A/C that is 2000 watt generator friendly. I have not tried one but have been told they work well. Supposed to be 14K BTU to 16K BTU. About $650 to $700.00, maybe plus installation.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
I have a new Casita 17' with AC. Mach 1 or something like that. Noisy when compressor fan runs, otherwise OK.
Bought a Harbor Freight clone of the Honda 2000. ($450-500). Noisier than the Honda plus an almost annoying whine. Just about the limit for a one man lift.

Using locally available 10% ethanol 87 octane gas it would not start the AC when ECO switch was on. Switched off, started ok. Switched ECO on, AC came up ok on subsequent compressor cycles. I wouldn't want to have to run it at full RPM, would defeat the purpose of having an inverter generator.

My next try will be with 93 octane or "no Ethanol" gas. Otherwise I'll put it up for sale. Runs skill saw, chainsaw and 1000 watt heater fine.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #24

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
I have a new Casita 17' with AC. Mach 1 or something like that. Noisy when compressor fan runs, otherwise OK.
Bought a Harbor Freight clone of the Honda 2000. ($450-500). Noisier than the Honda plus an almost annoying whine. Just about the limit for a one man lift.

Using locally available 10% ethanol 87 octane gas it would not start the AC when ECO switch was on. Switched off, started ok. Switched ECO on, AC came up ok on subsequent compressor cycles. I wouldn't want to have to run it at full RPM, would defeat the purpose of having an inverter generator.

My next try will be with 93 octane or "no Ethanol" gas. Otherwise I'll put it up for sale. Runs skill saw, chainsaw and 1000 watt heater fine.
There are many tempting lower cost alternatives to the Honda. But there is often a reason why they are so much less. Either capacity, noise, or weight. Too bad. The Honda is too much money, but you do get what you expect.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Besides initial cost, one should consider availability of parts and service.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #26

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post

The old saying is you get what you pay for. So if you buy cheap you get cheap.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Many inexpensive generators cannot be fixed if a part needs replacing (no parts available), so they are essentially throwaways. Some people don't mind that aspect if they can get a good enough price and don't plan to use the genny very much. Me, I'd have to think twice.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #28

Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Many inexpensive generators cannot be fixed if a part needs replacing (no parts available), so they are essentially throwaways. Some people don't mind that aspect if they can get a good enough price and don't plan to use the genny very much. Me, I'd have to think twice.
While I agree with you, I wonder how much it costs to have an authorized service center fix a problem with a Honda generator. Does anybody have experience with that?
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
While I agree with you, I wonder how much it costs to have an authorized service center fix a problem with a Honda generator. Does anybody have experience with that?
Nope. It just works.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #30

Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Nope. It just works.
Ha, I was expecting at least one reply like that.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 AM   #31

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Local shade tree lawn mower repair guy also does generators, at least the better ones.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #32

California
Quote:
So far no problems with ours, but I did recently change the oil, change the spark plug and inspect the air cleaner.

The maintenance is pretty simple.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:22 AM   #33

Name: Chris
Trailer: In the market
ACT
Quote:
One of the advantages of Honda generators is their excellent service center network. Part of why you're paying double for the kit in the first place...
chris2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #34

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Rumline- Can't tell you what a Honda shop will charge because I have had my two since 2002 and the only problem I have had was a broken rope on one of them. It broke close to the handle so all I had to do was cut about 6 inches off. One has 2000 hrs. on it and the other has 700 hrs. The one with 2000 is still my go to gen. and just sort of saving the other one. At one point we had a trailer with a 13.5k a/c and hooked both of them together. Hooked up, they ran the a/c at only 3300 rpm. They were just loafing along. Now I use it on our 9k on our Casita and it purrs just fine. But what you was asking is probably in the $100/$140 hr. range in the Dallas area for shop work.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #35

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Thumbs up add on hour meter for gen??

I have a line on a slightly used 2200 W gen and may buy it..but it has no 'hour meter'..... tho the gen price is right. Can you guys tell me if you can add one and where to buy one?
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:08 PM   #36

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
find a place to install one of these, wire it up to the 120V AC output,
https://www.amazon.com/Hour-Meter-PR.../dp/B0027NLO8K
Attached Thumbnails
81ek+7tmS-L._SL1500_[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #37

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
or this one is cute, you simply wrap the supplied wire 5 turns around the sparkplug wire, and that provides inductive power to run the meter, the meter is surface mount, so you just need to screw it to a panel on the generator, and don't need any space inside...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A43PKOE
Attached Thumbnails
61sGr1ipSlL._SL1000_[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:47 AM   #38

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Putting the words “ Thinking” & “ Generator “ in the same sentence is a contradiction in terms to me . When we go camping one of our greatest pleasures is the up and down hum and stench of a finally tuned generator!!
If it’s that hot out that you absolutely , positively have to have A/C then my solution would be to get a campsite with electricity or simply stay home .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #39

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
honda is leaving competitors in the dust with their introduction this year of the 2200i. same dimensions/weight/sound level as the honda 2000i but a little more power for starting. i've had my honda 2000i since 2014, do my own maintenance, use nonethanol gas with seafoam & stabil additives, run it under load for 15-30 minutes every 30 days & it runs like a champ. it's saved many an overnight in rest areas/walmarts even national parks when weather turned unseasonably hot (& those situations are becoming more common unfortunately). i firmly believe in buying quality, & appreciate the availability of parts/service on the honda products. IMHO there isn't anything out there that compares, all things considered. there are many "throw away" products that i buy cheap, but a generator, because i need it to work when i need it to work, isn't one of those items. the initial cost is a nonissue when you get years of trouble-free service out of it. best of luck with your decision
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:31 AM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In my experience Yamaha makes a far better generator than Honda
All Honda has going for it is a high price and an undeserved reputation for quality IMHO !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator