THREE LIGHTS OUT - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
THREE LIGHTS OUT

What’s the chance that all the led bulbs are bad in my three lights over the bed/dinette in a 2015 Casita? I’ve looked for a fuse to explain why none of them work. What am I missing?
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
swap a good bulb from another socket, that would answer your question.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Peg and welcome to the forum. Any chance your lights are a Bargman 47 84 410 and look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
_20180108_203159.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #4

Wy & Az
No, they’re white covers w yellow led bulbs
Old 01-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
Raz

Then John's suggestion is a good one. Unfortunately many LED fixtures are sold as one piece, one component goes bad you must replace everything. When mine failed I found the cheapest replacements at Amazon. Good luck, Raz
Old 01-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #6

Mid Left Coast
are you talking about interior or exterior LEDs here? when you said over the bed, I assumed you meant the interior lights.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #7

Wy & Az
Yes, the three in the back above the windows. Good idea about a swap-I’ll try it tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:12 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Did they work and stop working, or did they always not work?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #9
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegski View Post
....... three lights over the bed/dinette in a 2015 Casita?
Missed that. Obviously the light I showed is a tail light. I've had three go bad. It's my understanding Casita used the same light.

Most likely your lights are bad but plug a good bulb in to verify the wiring is good. Unlike incandescent bulbs, LEDs require support electronics to operate. The least expensive use a simple resistor. Unfortunately this makes them voltage sensitive. When your charger increases the voltage up towards 14 volts they "cook" and eventually fail. Look for replacements that have a built in voltage regulator. Two hundred fifty lumens is a good brightness. Soft white is good for reading. Cool white for tasks.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
If all three lights quit at the same time it could be a wiring issue. If it's possible to remove a light & check for voltage/ground at the light, that will guide you in your troubleshooting.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Yes, the three in the back above the windows. Good idea about a swap-I’ll try it tomorrow.
Cross referencing this to your Fan problem because I am almost sure you have bad wiring based on the lights involved.

You can also remove the wire nuts inside the cabinets (that connect to the lights) and use a meter to check for power. Thats slightly more reliable method then using incandescent bulbs in the fixture since it by passes any possible problem in the fixture. I'll bet a six-pack you have no power in the wiring (and I don't give up my beer easily).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
any chance the three lights turn on with one switch or remote on the wall? If so, remove the cover on the remote and change the battery.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #13

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
What’s the chance that all the led bulbs are bad in my three lights over the bed/dinette in a 2015 Casita? I’ve looked for a fuse to explain why none of them work. What am I missing?
Did you find the fuse for the lights? If not look until you find the one that runs them. If fuse looks good, trade a good one out with it since it is hard to tell or they can look good but not be good. If fuse is good then you have a bad wire most likely.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:04 AM   #14

Wy & Az
Tried a good bulb in the “bad” light and no go so it might be wiring of some sort. I didn’t see any kind of fuse for these lights. Where would that be located? Are these lights connected in some way to the fan? All this talk of wiring is kind of over my head. Who should I take it to to check it out? Would I use a “volt meter” to check the socket?
Old 01-10-2018, 12:05 AM   #15

Wy & Az
Lights are all separate
Old 01-10-2018, 01:58 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Lights are all separate
Peg, your 12 V fuses are on the power converter along with the 120V breakers. The FF & some lights are on one fuse, check that one first, 15A. The rangehood, bath fan & other lights are on a different 15A fuse. If the bath lights work, pull that 15A fuse and use it to check the other light circuit for a blown fuse.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:59 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would start at the battery and wring out the circuits. If battery voltage is good, then check all line side (the side going to the devices) voltage of the fuses, especially the circuit going to the lights and fan that are a problem. If you find all have power, then there is a problem with the wiring somewhere.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:51 AM   #18

Mid Left Coast
what borrego says, at least first. check the fuses in the power panel...
Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... Who should I take it to to check it out? ...
I doubt you need to pay anyone to work on this... at least not more than a pizza. No doubt there are a few people in your circle of friends and family who have some experience in low voltage wiring, even if it is not Casita (or Scamp or any R/V) specific. Anyone who owns a camper of any kind and tends to do their own electrical maintenance or upgrades should be able to deal with this. Do you know any ham radio people? Do any of the neighbors have a R/V? You can at least ask them if this is something they think they could figure out.

+1 for a fuse being the most likely issue, with a broken or failed connection #2.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
fuse location

your fuses are going to be located under one of your seats the fuses will be off your converter. I would say the converter will be in the back and yes you have a fuse out I would guess.

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights