Trillium battery ground question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Generally put a battery cutoff switch on the positive conductor between the battery and the fuse panel.

In my Trillium rig I actually have a double pole single throw switch on the positive conductor that allows me to switch back and forth between battery and (shore) power supply. I don't have a converter.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:35 AM   #22

Name: Olivier
Trailer: Trillium 1974
Saskatchewan
Hi, I looked at several youtube videos and some seem to agree that using it on the negative wire is safer (since you always unplug black wire first.. was one of the reason). Once again, I have no knowledge in this area and still learning. All I can say is that Internet is full of contradictions :-) thanks
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:36 AM   #23

Saskatchewan
Sorry by black I meant white (ground). Anyway, I might go on the positive side then.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #24

Michigan
Registry
wysiwyg, I don't know a specific reason for attaching the cutoff switch to positive battery conductor vs negative.

My DPST switch is on the positive conductor and it has 3 positions (battery, (shore) power supply, and off). If you install a converter or 12vdc power supply (as I have done) at some point, you will probably want to do what I have done, i.e., LP detector ON using battery power or shore power if either are available.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #25

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
wysiwyg, I don't know a specific reason for attaching the cutoff switch to positive battery conductor vs negative.

My DPST switch is on the positive conductor and it has 3 positions (battery, (shore) power supply, and off). If you install a converter or 12vdc power supply (as I have done) at some point, you will probably want to do what I have done, i.e., LP detector ON using battery power or shore power if either are available.
wysiwyg, I forgot to mention an important point: The DPST switch on the positive conductor was wired that way 40 years ago by the Trillium manufacturer. But I don't know why using the negative conductor wouldn't work as well.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #26

Saskatchewan
Thanks again for the advice. For now, I dont have a converter but I'll install it on the positive side between fusebox and battery.

Tags
battery, trillium