Two Batteries and Two Tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Lightbulb Two Batteries and Two Tanks

With all of the talk about living off the grid for as long as possible, I can not imagine that I am the only one who has desires, or who has actually, mounted two 6V deep cycle batteries and two propane tanks, on the front of their scamp 12 footer.

Is there an issue of tongue weight?

Does anybody have, or have they seen, photos of this done. and what is the best way to mount the batteries and tanks.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!!!

Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I mounted 2 batteries and single propane on my EggCamper, tongue weight was approaching 400#, there is a max t/w # for your trailer posted someplace.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Jimbo View Post
With all of the talk about living off the grid for as long as possible, I can not imagine that I am the only one who has desires, or who has actually, mounted two 6V deep cycle batteries and two propane tanks, on the front of their scamp 12 footer.

Is there an issue of tongue weight?

Does anybody have, or have they seen, photos of this done. and what is the best way to mount the batteries and tanks.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!!!

I have a single tank, and an 80 amp hour battery. I spent 100 days each of the last two years off the grid. Hmmm, I'm not doing something right.

FYI Scamp has never made a1 12 footer.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
People will go to 6 volt golf cart batteries or dual parallel 12 volt batteries when they want to run AC appliances like a microwave or they have a battery only refrigerator. As for propane, if you use a gas refrigerator and/or a propane cook top, one tank should last a long time. If you camp where or when you need a furnace, or a hot water heater, one tank will get used up quickly. At that point a second tank saves a trip to town. As far as tongue weight , the extra battery can add up to 100 lbs or so and the extra tank about 40 lbs. Lots of folks have done both. Here's a good example.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...1rb-48989.html.
Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #5

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
The 6 volt GC-110 golf cart batteries are big and heavy.I have twin group 27s with solar for boondocking.But,I have a 2 meter ham rig that can use up those amp hours quick.
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Personally dont know why anyone would need to really. I do a lot of camping off the grid and one tank lasts me a number of weeks - even with running my hot water tank, fridge and stove off of it most of the time. Have only on 27 battery and a very small solar.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Personally dont know why anyone would need to really. I do a lot of camping off the grid and one tank lasts me a number of weeks - even with running my hot water tank, fridge and stove off of it most of the time. Have only on 27 battery and a very small solar.
Do you have LPG or AC/DC fridge? I would think that for cold nights and AC/DC fridge 2 batteries would be necessary.
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #8

Registry
When boon docking I only run the fridge on propane so no drain on the battery and on cold nights I normally only run the furnace as really needed - just before bed and in the morning as needed - if its the middle of winter I set the furnace as low as it goes so it only kicks in a few times in the night. Have never had the battery below 50% with just one battery - the solar takes care of it the next day. If its extreme cold weather ie close to freezing, then I would be looking for power as the furnace would indeed drain the battery pretty fast.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
When boon docking I only run the fridge on propane so no drain on the battery and on cold nights I normally only run the furnace as really needed - just before bed and in the morning as needed - if its the middle of winter I set it the furnace as low as it goes so it only kicks in a few times in the night. Have never had the battery below 50% with just one battery - the solar takes care of it the next day. If its extreme cold weather ie close to freezing, then I would be looking for power as the furnace would indeed drain the battery pretty fast.

I did have the battery run down once. I was in Big Bend TX and outside temps dropped to the teens F then to 5°. I thought I had one more day before needing to drag out the solar panel. It almost to the 4th day after the last charging day. If I'd drug out the solar panel a day earlier, no problem. Now for propane I had to fill the tank early because the guy that does the propane stuff was going to be gone for 3 days. The closest place, other than the little store in the park was 135 miles away.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
My 50w solar panel mounted flat on the roof and a deep cycle group 27 battery has never let me down. Even when at temps down into the freezing range and setting my furnace a 55.
I can't remember when the last time I camped with any hookups.
Most of my camping is in the high Sierra fire safe areas.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I have a 13' Scamp, Group 27 battery and a 100 watt solar panel. We mostly camp off the grid, have 12 volt only refrigerator, propane stove, furnace & water heater heater. We only use the furnace prior to going to bed and before getting up. The propane lasted months, and we have never run the battery down except for at the Quartzsite Az. rally. I had left the converter/charger plugged in for a couple of months prior to this trip, and the fluid had "boiled out" of the battery. Fortunately a couple of very helpful people helped us out with (a new to us) battery, and a recharge from a quiet Honda generator (this was before I purchased a solar panel).
Happy Trails
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #12

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Group 4 deep cycle 6v golf cart batts weigh 62 lbs each. With them as far back as possible next to the body each might put 50 lbs on the tongue. A pair gives 220 ah capacity at 12 v.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Here's 2 6V and 2 tanks on my Trillium.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	48334

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2773.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	48335
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #14

California
Registry
Thanks, keep em coming

Wow, thanks everyone for the feedback, and scott and P-Raz thanks for the Pix and links.

This is really helpfull informaiton.

And to provide a little more info for my needs:

I would like to go a full 7-9 days with no hookups. I have a Dometic 211 3-way fridge, works good on propane and have no idea how much 12V juice it will need, hopefully wont need it other than for towing purposes (I have heard that a flame will not stay lit when towing). Also I am converting my interior lighting to 12V, most likely LED so it will use less draw, and I am installing a Fantastic fan, which may run lots.

Currently I am looking for a heater (PO took it out) and I believe they are fan driven as well.

So hopefully the draw will not be a lot.

I have read several places that 2 6 volts can draw lower than 1 12V, but from what everyone has posted, I may be able to get away with 1 12 V.

Input????

thanks!!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #15

California
Registry
Lightbulb Solar Panels

Oh and I notice a LOT of people here use solar panels, is there a certain brand and wattage and price point people like, and are they permanently mounted or otherwise.

Thanks again!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Wow, thanks everyone for the feedback, and scott and P-Raz thanks for the Pix and links.

I would like to go a full 7-9 days with no hookups. I have a Dometic 211 3-way fridge, works good on propane and have no idea how much 12V juice it will need, hopefully wont need it other than for towing purposes (I have heard that a flame will not stay lit when towing). Also I am converting my interior lighting to 12V, most likely LED so it will use less draw, and I am installing a Fantastic fan, which may run lots.

Currently I am looking for a heater (PO took it out) and I believe they are fan driven as well.

I have read several places that 2 6 volts can draw lower than 1 12V, but from what everyone has posted, I may be able to get away with 1 12 V.

Input????

thanks!!!!
6 Volt batteries (the golf cart type) generally are around 250 amp hours, weighing close to 100 lbs each. One 12 battery with 250 amp hour capacity would weigh around 200 lbs. It's much easier to handle and change 2 100 lb batteries than one 200 lb battery. All the rest you hear about 6 volt golf cart batteries is myth.

I've gone as much as 3 weeks without moving and will probably go for a month next winter. One 20 lb propane tank, one group 24 battery at less than 80 amp hours, one 65 Watt solar panel. Plus one 50 amp hour battery that runs my ham radio using the same 65 watt solar panel to keep it charged.
What I run on that:
Furnace set to 55°F. It usually comes on a couple times early in the morning, the is set to around 65°F when we get up. The 65° is only until the trailer warms up. Depending on the outside temperature is it usually turned off.
Fridge use propane, have to be careful and not freeze everything in the box, so it runs from medium to low.
Stove top. Make coffee every morning, cook breakfast about half the time, Dinner most of the time.
Lights. 6 LED fixtures and 2 CCFL tubes. In the winter a couple of the lights are on for about 3 hours each night, even in the southwest.
Charge various electronic devices like cameras, PDAs, Kindles.

I usually charge the laptop computers (2) with the 50 amp hour ham radio battery.

Note that most of our long term camping is in the winter, cooler temperatures, and shorter days, which requires more propane and more lighting.

There's tendency to over estimate energy needs while living in one of these small trailers. Remember you spend most of your time outside, with the trailer door open, at least we do.

For 7-9 days you only need to watch your battery, if you have a solar panel it's not a problem. If need be you can always hook up the big generator (tow vehicle) to charge the battery.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Oh and I notice a LOT of people here use solar panels, is there a certain brand and wattage and price point people like, and are they permanently mounted or otherwise.

Thanks again!!!

Mine is not permanently mounted. I'm keeping two batteries charged and like to follow the sun.
There are lots of brands, styles, and configurations out there. Some will swear by Harbor Freight's 3 panel 45 others swear at it. I have Kyrocera 65 Watt pane (KC65T). I purchased it after reading a lot of specifications. The form factor (size and dimensions) along with life and output are what led to that panel. I built an aluminum attached stand and have about 30' of wire so I can move it around. I also have about another 15' of extension wire.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:

Input????

thanks!!!!
Your fridge will not use any power when running on propane. You will have no problem running your fridge on propane for 9-10 days with only one tank. All my lights are LED and when off the grid I often use small LED head lamps for reading at night. The other thing that will use some power is your water pump. I also use the Fantastic fan which is good with power but my stock Scamp furnace is a little bit of a power hog. I can go about 3-4 days without putting my small solar out if I have been using the Fan regularly. If I have been using the furnace a good deal then no more than 2 days.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:

Input????

thanks!!!!
Most propane furnaces will run down to about 10.5 volts; 12V powers the fan (causes a safety switch called a sail switch) to close, which in turn delivers 12V to the solenoid gas valve to feed the propane. If the fan gets too slow (slow voltage) the RPM drop will not close the sail switch, so no propane to feed the furnace. Current draw is usually 2-3 amps when running, so it can suck down a battery in a few days in really cold weather...

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #20

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
A good battery monitor, like a Victron Bvm600, will let you see the power flowing in and out of your battery and accurately measure state of charge. You can turn on each device and see exactly how many amps it takes. They are a little pricy though, about $150, but worth it if you really want to manage your 12v system.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote