U-Haul Electrical extension connection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Name: Perk
Trailer: Formerly U-Haul
Arizona
Registry
U-Haul Electrical extension connection

I was just speaking to the RV Service Center where our 1985 16ft TV U-Haul travel trailer is being cleaned and serviced. I asked about the electrical hook up and he says it is a 30 amp RV Plug. He said I need to plug into that service otherwise it will adversely affect the AC. My question is how long of an extension cord can I safely have made with the proper male and female ends and what gauge wire do I need so I can plug the trailer into my father outside power box where I am having a 30amp power plug outlet installed. I can not get the trailer close to the house when we visit and need to prepare the cord before we leave. Thanks for all comments.
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think the standard 30 amp rv plug is around 25 feet, anything longer and your power will start to drop. here is a link RV Power Cords from PPL for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Power cords

eBay has hundreds all sizes used and new.

Heres a 30 amp 50' long one (if that is long enough):

50 foot ft 30 amp RV Camper Motorhome Trailer 10/3 Power Extension Cord | eBay

This is 10 gauge but a longer run will require larger gauge (numerically lower) formula is on-line for that. Check the ends (mine is twist lock at the trailer end and standard safety plug at the other end but with an adapter for
big plug outlets)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
My VT came with about 25' hard wired into the trailer accessible through a small Aluminum hatch. it also had another 25' of extension cord that could be mated to it. I still carry the extra 25' but have never had to use it yet. A 30 amp to 20 connector has come in handy a couple of times.
I swapped out the hard wire for a plug connection similar to shore power for boats so I have about 20 feet of Uhaul cord you could make into an extension, it yours for the postage. I have a few other items that I will list in a couple of months, U haul solar panel and controller,and some leftover window seal, maybe enough for the VT window but definitely enough for a CT as the windows are smaller. headliner carpet, three light brake light and some misc items.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I took off the original cord from my CT. Although it is a heavy cord, it is only 14 gauge wire with really thick insulation.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

Indiana
Registry
Just checked and mine appears to be 10ga. Probably upsized for the AC in the VT.
Michael J.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
I checked, after all your suggestions, with Home Depot and Lowes in my dads hometown and they both have 25' and 50' 30amp RV extension cords. When we get there I will have a better idea as to what I will need and then go get it locally. Thank you all.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I just bought this one at Camping World:

Heavy Duty 30-amp 10/3 STW Cord, 50-ft
Old 06-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
My VT came with about 25' hard wired into the trailer accessible through a small Aluminum hatch. it also had another 25' of extension cord that could be mated to it. I still carry the extra 25' but have never had to use it yet. A 30 amp to 20 connector has come in handy a couple of times.
I swapped out the hard wire for a plug connection similar to shore power for boats so I have about 20 feet of Uhaul cord you could make into an extension, it yours for the postage. I have a few other items that I will list in a couple of months, U haul solar panel and controller,and some leftover window seal, maybe enough for the VT window but definitely enough for a CT as the windows are smaller. headliner carpet, three light brake light and some misc items.
Michael J.
Michael,

Thank you for the gracious offer but I will wait till I get to my dad's and see what length of electrical extension cord I need and get it then. When you say brake lights are you speaking about the electrical components or the lens. you have my interest
Old 06-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #10

Indiana
Registry
The three light bar over the back window
Old 06-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
The three light bar over the back window
OK those are good on mine ... thanks for the reply and good luck on the remodeling it sounds like you are doing. Would seriously like to see and hear about the finished product. My best to you.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #12

Indiana
Registry
It's an ongoing project,so far new tires wheels hubs, headliner LED lights,all new wiring and plumbing, converter battery bank, main table/bed board,LED markers battery monitor,replaced solar with larger unit, pure sine wave inverter,, caulked and undercoated the bottom, working on adding stabilizers up front, TV swing arm with magnetic mount upgrading my weather station, debating on axle replacement.
Michael J
Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
It's an ongoing project,so far new tires wheels hubs, headliner LED lights,all new wiring and plumbing, converter battery bank, main table/bed board,LED markers battery monitor,replaced solar with larger unit, pure sine wave inverter,, caulked and undercoated the bottom, working on adding stabilizers up front, TV swing arm with magnetic mount upgrading my weather station, debating on axle replacement.
Michael J
I can not wait to get mine back and then start looking at the items you have mentioned. I know it will be fun to tinker with it. I probably will be posting all shorts of questions and pictures for help once I do get it back and get to using it and finding things I want to change. Glad your progress is going well.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #14

Indiana
Registry
I am not one to keep everything original, if there is a better widget I'm all for it. The only way you can tell it's a U Haul from outside is the door bumper.

Tags
electrical, u-haul