Upgrading Audio System - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #1

Name: Philip
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Upgrading Audio System

Hi Everybody,
I've got a 2005 Bigfoot 21RB with a Linear Series LS5000DVD audio system. I'm thinking about upgrading to something, with Bluetooth and newer technology.
Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Phil
Fullbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 07:38 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I have zero interest in television or video built into my camper, so I would probably get a single or double din car stereo/media reciever and replace that large unit with a blanking panel with a cutout for the single or double DIN.

I recently installed an Alpine iLX-W650 into my older towing truck, a 2002 F250, and I added the Alpine KTA-450 piggyback amp behind it, which boosted the power to 50W RMS per channel, which sounds far better than the 17 watts or so of a standard car stereo (don't be fooled by 'music power' ratings, they are gross exaggerations)

This Alpine stack is quite shallow compare with older car stereos, and really boosted the sound on the upgraded speakers I'd previously installed in said truck, 4 x JL Audio C2-650 6.5" coax rounds.

Catch-22 with a car stereo in a RV, you'll want to add a switch somewhere on the 'red' power wire, or it will always draw some watts. The yellow power wire is what really runs the stereo, but its expected to be constant power, the red wire controls it and is normally hooked up to ignition/accessory power. This particular stereo+amp combo, the combined yellow wires should be on a circuit with a 40A fuse (20A for the amp, 15A for the stereo, 5 extra rounded up for headroom). This amp will run 4 good sized speakers quite nicely.

oh, this particular media reciever/stereo has no CD player, it plays aux input, and bluetooth, and am/fm radio.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 02:41 PM   #3

Name: star
Trailer: Parkliner
South Carolina
I use a portable Bluetooth speaker.
starsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 12:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Bottom line: upgrade your audio system to support Bluetooth & internet access.

I am an audiophile. Love music and listening to news on my radio. I basically have the radio turned on from early morning to an hour or so after retiring for night.

FYI, we do a lot of boondocking.

I own a BF 21 RB. Installed a KENWOOD BT378U auto stereo system when I got the trailer. Installed 4 speakers: 1 pair over rear bed & 2nd pair over the dinette. When off grid, I disconnect 2 of the speakers to save battery.

Had same system in my BF 19. Good, clean sound. Low amp usage. Very reliable.

Bluetooth speakers can offer great sound as well. If you really want to save money, definitely check out a Bluetooth speaker. You can play your digital library, or stream news, radio music or podcasts.

Either system will be enhanced by a MiFi device backed up with a great monthly plan. We have a AT&T Nighthawk with unlimited data. Works perfectly.

Our BF 21 came with a TV. We never really used the TV when camping. But we recently started to stream movies & TV shows via HTMI hookup to our notebook computers. I found this to be a really nice entertainment option when camping.

If I had to do it again, I would have wired the trailer for HDMI when installing the stereo system.

If you want to create a multi media system in your trailer, I highly recommend getting a 12V audio system with Bluetooth. You’ll need MiFi hardware with good plan.

Do you have or are considering getting a TV? If so, forget the stand alone Bluetooth radio & get a auto stereo system. you may want to research:
  • connecting the TV to your speakers.
  • Wireing the trailer for HTML
  • Purchasing a 12V TV (with HTML input) if you plan to boondock.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
We have factory HDMI wiring .
We installed an Apple TV and tether it to an iPhone with unlimited data. It works well.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 06:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
If you install a car stereo in a RV, its a good idea to put a toggle switch on the red 'switched' power circuit, otherwise that stereo will draw more standby power when its mot in use than you might otherwise expect.

btw, my last car stereo install was an Alpine iLX-650 shallow double DIN, with the optional piggybacked KTA-450 power amp (50W RMS x 4 chans). This replaced a single DIN Pioneer and wow, that amp made the 6.5" JL Audio speakers I'd previously installed in that truck really wake up and sound GOOD. The ILX 650 is probably not the best choice for a RV stereo, as its a touch screen with no remote, and has Android Auto features you really don't need/want in a trailer.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 03:38 PM   #7

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
I did a write up with pics. Try the search function, as there are lots of posts on this. I did two ten" powered subs( over kill) and 2000 watt amp . Big power drain .
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Bottom line: upgrade your audio system to support Bluetooth & internet access.

I am an audiophile. Love music and listening to news on my radio. I basically have the radio turned on from early morning to an hour or so after retiring for night.

FYI, we do a lot of boondocking.

I own a BF 21 RB. Installed a KENWOOD BT378U auto stereo system when I got the trailer. Installed 4 speakers: 1 pair over rear bed & 2nd pair over the dinette. When off grid, I disconnect 2 of the speakers to save battery.

Had same system in my BF 19. Good, clean sound. Low amp usage. Very reliable.

Bluetooth speakers can offer great sound as well. If you really want to save money, definitely check out a Bluetooth speaker. You can play your digital library, or stream news, radio music or podcasts.

Either system will be enhanced by a MiFi device backed up with a great monthly plan. We have a AT&T Nighthawk with unlimited data. Works perfectly.

Our BF 21 came with a TV. We never really used the TV when camping. But we recently started to stream movies & TV shows via HTMI hookup to our notebook computers. I found this to be a really nice entertainment option when camping.

If I had to do it again, I would have wired the trailer for HDMI when installing the stereo system.

If you want to create a multi media system in your trailer, I highly recommend getting a 12V audio system with Bluetooth. You’ll need MiFi hardware with good plan.

Do you have or are considering getting a TV? If so, forget the stand alone Bluetooth radio & get a auto stereo system. you may want to research:
  • connecting the TV to your speakers.
  • Wireing the trailer for HTML
  • Purchasing a 12V TV (with HTML input) if you plan to boondock.
Let me update my post: last winter, I installed a Roku Streambar on our TV. This is a combo soundbar/center speaker & streaming device. I paid $99 Best Buy on cyber Monday. We attached the “Streambar” to the bottom of the TV. You do need a MIFI HOTSPOT Internet connection.

Like many RV’ers, we disliked the sound from the trailer’s TV: not loud enough plus hard to understand dialogue. We’re extremely impressed with the sound quality from the Streambar in our cabin. And it’s so easy to stream TV programs using the streaming services to which we already are subscribed. No more futzing with looking for local stations or wiring for HDML or connecting the TV to the stereo head unit. Well worth your consideration.

Tags
bigfoot