Use a 56 volt lithium battery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2024, 07:26 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp
MN
Use a 56 volt lithium battery

I wonder how I might utilize the three EGO 56 volt batteries from my lawnmower for boon docking? I would like to hear if anyone else has thoughts or experiences on this?
Thanks,
Michael
Old 05-28-2024, 06:55 PM   #2

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Use them as level blocks under the stabilizers?

Why are the batteries under consideration for use other than in the mower?
1) Mower's dead, but batteries are good? Post the batteries on Craig's or a neightbohood freecycle.
2) Batteries didn't last long enough in the mower so new ones were obtained? Why do you want weak, incorrect voltage, not able to recharge when boondocking, batteries?

You could strip the battery blocks down to individual cells, then reassemble them in arrays that are something closer to the 12 volts that are common for battery camping equipment, but for that work and time you could buy a pair of PbA lawn tractor starter batteries for less, be able to recharge from a car trickle charger (once back home) of from jumper cables when in the field, or a windshield mount solar panel, or...., or...., or....., AND also have more usable power (more Ah) from even one than from all the cells from the three packs.
Thought and experience my friend, and that advice is worth every penny you paid for it.
Old 05-29-2024, 11:01 AM   #3

Name: Michael
MN
I find your response very unhelpful
If you didn’t have a useable suggestion I think it would have been best not to respond.
Michael Contardo
Old 05-29-2024, 04:16 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I wouldn't suggest wheel chocks, they might not be strong enough, however on a serious note, you would need a DC to DC converter to step the voltage down to 12 volts, or what ever voltage you want. One way to do this is to use a MPPT solar controller. Set the battery type to LFP and the charge voltages to 13.5 or so. The charge controller needs to be large enough to handle the maximum load. I'm not sure the watt-hour rating of your batteries, but it might not be high enough to make it worth it.

Note: I have never done this and there may be some issues with the controller not having a low voltage battery connected, but I think it should work. Sounds like a fun experiment. You can get a MPPT controller for a reasonable cost.
Old 05-29-2024, 08:25 PM   #5

Name: Keith
Texas
Ego sells a power station that does exactly what you want.

https://egopowerplus.com/nexus-portable-power-station/
Old 05-30-2024, 05:08 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelContardo View Post
I wonder how I might utilize the three EGO 56 volt batteries from my lawnmower for boon docking? I would like to hear if anyone else has thoughts or experiences on this?
Thanks,
Michael
If you are boondocking, you do not have a way to recharge them unless you get a solar charger or a generator. Even if you do, run time will be short between charging cycles unless you are only going to run LED lights and perhaps the circuit boards in your refrigerator, because you will not have a huge number of watt hours. I personally believe your proposed idea is questionable, and I would suggest you mount a solar panel(s) on top of the trailer, or better yet, use portable solar panels in case the trailer ends up being parked in the shade. These will keep the house batteries under a constant charge as long as there is sunshine. Finally, I am sorry if you find my comments unhelpful or the first response posted also unhelpful, but if you are going to ask a question on this forum that some members may view as ďout thereĒ, you need to have a thick skin because the individual who suggested you use the batteries as leveling blocks was responding tongue in cheek and did offer useful suggestions. There are members here, past and present, who might not have been so kind.
Old 05-30-2024, 05:25 AM   #7

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Asked for "...thoughts or experiences..."

Quote:
I find your response very unhelpful
If you didnít have a useable suggestion I think it would have been best not to respond.
Michael Contardo
Your thread implied you'd want to learn from OTHER'S mistakes, but you may proceed to learn from your own. Be safe in the process, and don't let a disappointing result in this effort dissuade you from any future curiosity.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:06 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Thanks,
Michael

I can't think of any practical use for those batteries while boondocking, unless you want to cut some grass while you're there. No good way to charge them. No good way to connect to them or sensible way to interface them into your system.

So, it seems the "blocks under stabilizers" is really a more practical use than using them as batteries. Plus, it sounds like a fun experiment. And, you asked for thoughts. Think outside the box. I can't stop laughing.
Old 05-30-2024, 08:14 AM   #9

Name: Troy
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Most likely not enough WH to be practically useful. I guess you could get their power station and use it to recharge a phone.
Closed Thread

Tags
battery