Using 7 Post Junction Box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 19'
Virginia
Using 7 Post Junction Box

I'm wiring in a propane detector near the front end of my 19' Scamp, close to where the wires enter my camper from the battery and the 7-way plug. The previous wiring was done by tapping into existing lines with T-tap wire connectors, but I've heard those aren't the most reliable. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding a solution to this with heat shrink connectors that can tap into existing wires. So, my question is this: I have a 7-post junction box from Scamp. I originally got it to organize the wires coming from my 7-way plug, but could I use it to connect multiple (5ish) wires with ring terminals on a single post? It seems like it would work, in theory, I just have never done it and don't know if there are any safety issues that I don't know about. Thanks!
brettrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I would not use five.. two, MAYBE three.. no more. Thats just me... but see:
Wiring Practices: Terminal Posts: Stacking Ring Terminals - Moderated Discussion Areas

You dont have a fuse panel where you can add a single fused line for the propane alarm? If not you might want to split you circuirts with this or something similar.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/502..._Bus_and_Cover
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I prefer that approach over t or y connectors. Using thec7-connector box is kind of overkill although I used one of those when I converted to the 7-pin connector.

I used one post for ground and one for hot for my circuits when I rewired the interior.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #4

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
A propane detector uses extremely little power so I wouldn't be concerned about adding it to an already used connector. Just use a meter to make sure you've got a correct positive and negative and go for it.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
A propane detector uses extremely little power so I wouldn't be concerned about adding it to an already used connector. ....
Its not the total current.. its the multiple ring terminals which must pass the majority of the current from the post to ring terminal to ring terminal to ring terminal (maybe five times?) and eventually to the nut via the threads. More points of possible failure. Say your propane detector was the first ring terminal on a post, and the next one was a high load device.. the first one might get corroded and then there is high resistance to the high load device. That means heat. Or if they are not the same size.. then the current limits change. But mostly the multiple terminals just lead to a higher chance of them becoming loose.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
clean every ring terminal before putting on the post, then stack them, tighten well, and it should not be an issue, alternatively there are these neat little things called terminal blocks( ok; sarcasm off) available at electrical suppliers and automotive outlets, that allow you to get to the same end result, but neater, and more professionally. When I got my Mule, it had as many as 8 ring terminals under the same stud, came from an underground mine, the frame was finished, but the electrical still worked.

joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You could use the connection box but make sure the connectors sit flat against each other use a washer between them if you have to. I would also put an inline fuse and a on and off switch in the line so you can turn it off when your not using your trailer so it doesnt drain the battery when not being used. If you keep your trailer on a battery maintainer you don't need the switch. the switch becomes problematic as the detector doesnt work if you forget to turn it on when you go camping.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote