Using vehicle backup display for trailer rear view camera - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2021, 08:53 PM   #1

Name: Gene
Trailer: Casita SD
New York
Using vehicle backup display for trailer rear view camera

We tow our Casita with our 2017 Nissan Frontier or 2016 Toyota 4Runner. Both have factory backup cameras and in dash displays. The Toyota is a full infotainment/Radio/Nav/Backup system.
I would like to add another hard wired camera to the system to provide a rear view look out the back of the trailer that would be displayed on the factory display. (I've tried several wireless backup cameras with dedicated displays that are either weak or go bad over time)

MY thought: Add a compatible camera to the rear of the Casita. Use a switch of some time that would enable me to toggle from the normal backup operation of the factory unit (great for lining up the hitch), and the ongoing rear view of the Casita camera.

Things to consider: Might need to run constant 12v power to the 2nd camera. Would need to run video cable to the Tow Vehicle. Where does the factory B/U camera get it's power? (Aftermarket B/U cameras usually rely on on power from the backup wiring in the rear of the vehicle, however factory units may obtain this switching power from internal wiring somewhere else in the vehicle) The "Switch" would need to break the power feed from the vehicle backup light circuit and send full time power to the rear view camera. Some type of the switching would also be needed to change the inbound camera feed.

Has anyone out there come up with a way to make this work? I would be very interested in anything anyone has ever done to accomplish this task.

Is there any ready made wiring harness out there to accomplish this?
Thanks....
UpstateCasitaFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCasitaFolks View Post
We tow our Casita with our 2017 Nissan Frontier or 2016 Toyota 4Runner. Both have factory backup cameras and in dash displays. The Toyota is a full infotainment/Radio/Nav/Backup system.
I would like to add another hard wired camera to the system to provide a rear view look out the back of the trailer that would be displayed on the factory display. (I've tried several wireless backup cameras with dedicated displays that are either weak or go bad over time)

MY thought: Add a compatible camera to the rear of the Casita. Use a switch of some time that would enable me to toggle from the normal backup operation of the factory unit (great for lining up the hitch), and the ongoing rear view of the Casita camera.

Things to consider: Might need to run constant 12v power to the 2nd camera. Would need to run video cable to the Tow Vehicle. Where d.oes the factory B/U camera get it's power? (Aftermarket B/U cameras usually rely on on power from the backup wiring in the rear of the vehicle, however factory units may obtain this switching power from internal wiring somewhere else in the vehicle) The "Switch" would need to break the power feed from the vehicle backup light circuit and send full time power to the rear view camera. Some type of the switching would also be needed to change the inbound camera feed.

Has anyone out there come up with a way to make this work? I would be very interested in anything anyone has ever done to accomplish this task.

Thanks....
Mine is wired to tail/clearance lights. Run with them on all the time.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #3

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
If you have cell service, we've used a Face Time call to each other and placed a phone on the back of our Casita. It worked reasonably well. With Bluetooth these days, I don't think you will need to run a video cable. I think the trick will be tying into the vehicle's display. If you solve that, please let me know; I'd like to do it also.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
CA
Backup Camera for trailer

I had to remove the tailgate on my Tacoma when I had a camper shell with double doors installed. The backup camera was mounted on the tailgate. I got a new one from Amazon and mounted it through the license plate frame. It just plugged into the line to the display.

Connecting a second camera to be switched for display while underway would be beyond the average do-it-yourselfer. If there's a Best Buy in your area, their installation shop technicians are usually very knowledgeable. They might be able to do it. Any device installed need not have been bought at Best Buy.

Quote:

Things to consider: Might need to run constant 12v power to the 2nd camera. Would need to run video cable to the Tow Vehicle. Where does the factory B/U camera get it's power? (Aftermarket B/U cameras usually rely on on power from the backup wiring in the rear of the vehicle, however factory units may obtain this switching power from internal wiring somewhere else in the vehicle) The "Switch" would need to break the power feed from the vehicle backup light circuit and send full time power to the rear view camera. Some type of the switching would also be needed to change the inbound camera feed.

Thanks....
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Try joining an owners forum online and search for head unit modifications, adding rear view camera, etc. Did that for an older Miata I owned and there was a mod to use a 2nd connector on the rear of the head unit for a video input so I did add a rear view camera (this was before they became mandatory on new cars.)

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
you can find pretty much anything on Aliexpress, including units that take multiple camera inputs and give you selections like 1,2,3 or 4 views in a single monitor, they can be manual or triggered by tthings like signal light, reverse, pushbutton etc, do a bit of searching and see what meets your needs, most of what I have purchased works well, and is certainly inexpensive compared to other places
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #7

New York
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. After considering all alternatives to my original idea, I realize that although my idea might be a wonderful upgrade, it takes time and patience which I am short on at this time. So, I came to my senses and ordered another (upgraded) wireless system to replace my somewhat broken one I now have. It was relatively inexpensive, has a 1080 display and will be plug and play since I'm already set up for this arrangement. Should arrive shortly and as soon as I hook it up, I will report out on the results and which specific model I purchased.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #8

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
I tried something like this with our Honda Pilot towing our Escape. The Honda backup camera projects onto a portion of the rear view mirror (pretty tiny!!). So, we bought a rear view backup camera system on Amazon, with the intent on leaving it on for rear view when driving. Read on if you're interested in a little electrical/electronic tinkering:

1) The camera did not function as advertised; we were refunded most of our expense, and told to not bother returning it.

2) I experimented with it on my workbench, and found that it was really a 5V DC camera, with 3 wires needed: power (5V) ground, and signal. There was a 4th wire that was the 12V feed from the backup light on the car: That was the troublemaker.

3) I ran 3 conductor cable (exterior microphone XLR cable--weather resistant and very flexible((Edit: and Shielded)) ) to the rear of the Pilot, to a 3.5mm stereo jack. Then I mounted the camera inside the back window of the trailer, and ran some more of the 3 conductor cable from there to the tongue, with enough extra that I could run in the back hatch window of the pilot, to the 3.5 mm jack. Works great!
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:34 AM   #9

New York
Glad to hear you got your system to work. I'm curious about where you sourced 5v to run the camera. Did it come from your Honda's display jack to feed one of the wires back to the camera? What became of the 12 volt wire on the camera? Did you just not use it? All the wireless systems I've used in the past fed the camera and camera's transmitter with a 12v source, either from the backup light feed when use as a backup camera or a constant 12v feed when used as a rear view camera.

Also, I assuming when plugged into your vehicle's camera jack, it negates the original backup camera function that was supplied by Honda. Correct?
Can you provide the make and model of the unit you bought on Amazon?

I've installed the wireless unit I mentioned above and I an amazed at the range and picture quality on the monitor. It indeed transmits a crystal clear 1080P HD picture over 600 ft of clear space as well as from the rear of our Casita 17ft SD to the dash of our Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Tow Vehicle. Night and day from any other wireless I have used in the past. It's a Dohonest V25 from Amazon, $101.64 total to my doorstep. I'm hesitant to totally endorse it further until I really road trip test it and see how it holds up over time. I'm cleaning up the wiring install for the camera this week between rain storms and I'll try to add some pictures soon. For now, it seems to be our perfect answer and offers monitor portability between or two tow vehicles.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #10

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Quote:
Glad to hear you got your system to work. I'm curious about where you sourced 5v to run the camera. Did it come from your Honda's display jack to feed one of the wires back to the camera? What became of the 12 volt wire on the camera? Did you just not use it? All the wireless systems I've used in the past fed the camera and camera's transmitter with a 12v source, either from the backup light feed when use as a backup camera or a constant 12v feed when used as a rear view camera.

Also, I assuming when plugged into your vehicle's camera jack, it negates the original backup camera function that was supplied by Honda. Correct?
Can you provide the make and model of the unit you bought on Amazon?

To be clear: What I have installed is a camera & screen system independent of the Honda backup camera and screen. The one I modified to work has a screen that is supposed to mount over your rear view mirror, but it is thick and ungainly for that purpose, so I have the screen on a home made base that fits the lower left hand corner of my dash, right behind the windshield. Edit: 5V DC is provided by the screen unit, the 12V / 5V source plugged into a cigarette lighter type receptacle in the Honda console.

This is similar to what I obtained. https://www.amazon.com/Streaming-Rec...a-787340284772

It shows up under a plethora of brand names, with all sorts of prices.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:49 PM   #11

Name: Josh
Trailer: 74, 13' Boler
Alberta
M aybe you can buy a backup camera and mount a television to the front of your RV and you'd be able to see it in the back up camera on the tow vehicle? Ok I'll see myself out.
Josh Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #12

Name: DUB
Trailer: Dub Box USA
Tennessee
One aftermarket solution that I opted for is the solar-powered Auto Vox. It uses solar to keep the camera powered on the back of your RV/trailer while the monitor simply plugs into your car lighter for power.

I haven't actually tried it out yet as my trailer is being built but I'm hoping it's an effective option for those of us who want to avoid more wiring.
GuyKrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #13

New York
UPDATE

The Rear View/Back-up camera or ordered was a DoHonest model V25 off Amazon. I wanted to wait until I actually road tested the unit on a long haul.

Here is the link to Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FLZ1HSQ...roduct_details

I love this unit. I mounted the camera on a bracket I made to the top center of the rear window in the Casita. I suction cupped the display to the bottom center of the windshield of my Nissan Frontier. I ran the power wire for the camera down the center of the rear window using Scotch Velcro type fastener material and behind the spare tire.. I ran the wire up through the openings in the battery compartment round vent under the trailer and through a small hole I drilled in the side of the battery box. I then wired it to a 12 v fused source with a switch so I could turn it on and off. The picture on the 5" screen HD 1080 and is amazingly sharp, nothing like any unit I previously tried. When driving the, there is absolutely no distortion or interference. I even received a second camera free that was part of the offer, although it took an email reminder.

I'm covering the camera with tin foil when parked for long periods of time beside my home since the sun is intense and I suspect it may have did my prior camera in over time.

The display shows 150 degree view. The PRO is all my blind spots on both sides is well captured as well as directly behind the Casita. I found this a blessing especially on interstate with cars zooming around both sides of me at times. Also, very helpful when backing into a camp site.

The CON.....since it is such a wide angle camera vehicles look much further behind you than they actually are until they get up closer to the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1261.jpg   IMG_1259.jpg  

IMG_1266.jpg  
Old 10-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #14

Name: Kent
Trailer: Casita
Missouri
Garmin RV 780GPS has a wireless transmitter/camera for the rear of the casita.
The receiver goes in vehicle that sends video to GPS Unit

Garmin BC 30 Wireless Backup Camera

Im trying to figure out how to run a small 12v/video cable into the battery compartment and have it on a toggle switch. Might have to drill some 1.4" holes and put in bushings and seal them? Hate drilling into a brand new 2022!
ThreeSixtyIcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:39 PM   #15

New York
Hi Kent,
If you are talking about a cable from the camera, could you run into the Casita for power, in-line fuse, and switch like I did above?

Question on the dual purpose Garmin. I like to to keep both my Garmin screen and rear view camera screen on at the the same time. How is that done with the dual purpose Garmin you reference? Is a split screen?
Thanks,
Gene