victron's north american training tour - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2021, 05:10 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
victron's north american training tour

i would imagine that most of you know about victron and their products but here's a chance to see them strut their stuff. obviously the whole thing is a marketing program but that's not a bad thing. at least you can see their contribution to the bleeding edge of things solar. this information is passed along without endorsement (even tho i do use their products) and is solely intended to let you folks know what's going on...

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...training-tour/

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:17 AM   #2

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
I see the upper mid-west is totally ignored.

Minneapolis? It's only a urban population of 4,000,000 people.

Minnesota? A "Major" player in RV camping.

But wait, there's one in Montana and two in Wyoming? Two of the least populated states.

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
For a second I thought you meant Victorinox. But alas, no.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:08 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I see the upper mid-west is totally ignored.

Minneapolis? It's only a urban population of 4,000,000 people.

Minnesota? A "Major" player in RV camping.

But wait, there's one in Montana and two in Wyoming? Two of the least populated states.

Perry
Minnesota
Hey, At least the riff-raff is staying out. They don't "build" it and we will not come.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Ticket

I just got a ticket for a full day this coming Thursday. It should be interesting. It will be about a 40 minute drive.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:06 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Tom, we're gonna count on you for a full & detailed report....

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:24 AM   #7

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
Tom, we're gonna count on you for a full & detailed report....

p@
If anyone has any questions they want asked post them here and I will jot them down in my notebook.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #8

Name: Bridget
Trailer: Scamp
Maryland
I signed up for next Wednesday in Annapolis, MD. I am a complete newbie, much of the content might go over my head, but I'm hoping to retain some of what they teach.
BridgetMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:45 AM   #9

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetMills View Post
I signed up for next Wednesday in Annapolis, MD. I am a complete newbie, much of the content might go over my head, but I'm hoping to retain some of what they teach.
There was a great deal of talk about boats and I suspect that there will be in Annapolis too. Boat systems are pretty much the same so that really wasn't a problem.

They give you a couple of very nice books that could go in a ring binder. One is on wiring and the other is on mobile electrical systems. They are very good sources of correct information unlike the kind that you may get in forums sometimes.

They have six different stations or systems to teach you from. One was a small RV system and they had a table to show wiring and cables being made which I found quite valuable.

The instructors were very good and from all over, Canada, USA and Europe. They give you a note book too so you won't have to bring one.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:02 AM   #10

Massachusetts
Quote:

So how was the seminar? I hope you got some useful information out of it.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #11

Name: Bridget
Trailer: Scamp
Maryland
It was a great overview of Victron systems, which greatly improved my understanding of what components might or might not be of value for my circumstances. I was able to ask a lot of basic questions and the Victron team were both helpful and friendly.

I'm interested in replacing my lead acid battery with Lithium: longer life, lighter, deeper discharge and they can be moved into camper and off the tongue.

Victron recommends charging from the TV battery, and sells a number of systems that would install in line between the batteries to manage voltage. I'm still not certain of the most cost effective yet still safe way to do this.
I'd welcome any suggestions from this group on how to make this connection. I'd also welcome feedback on pro/cons of Victron vs other providers.
BridgetMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:25 AM   #12

Massachusetts
Quote:
It was a great overview of Victron systems, which greatly improved my understanding of what components might or might not be of value for my circumstances. I was able to ask a lot of basic questions and the Victron team were both helpful and friendly.

I'm interested in replacing my lead acid battery with Lithium: longer life, lighter, deeper discharge and they can be moved into camper and off the tongue.

Victron recommends charging from the TV battery, and sells a number of systems that would install in line between the batteries to manage voltage. I'm still not certain of the most cost effective yet still safe way to do this.
I'd welcome any suggestions from this group on how to make this connection. I'd also welcome feedback on pro/cons of Victron vs other providers.
I have Battle born batteries and went with them because of their 10 year warrantee. One of the interesting things that I learned is the BB batteries have an internal BMS "battery management system" but the Victron's use an external BMS. Evidently this is more important in boats.

I wish I had this seminar before I setup my BigFoot. If I had it to do over I would probably stick to one manufacturer instead of piecing everything together. I think I will add a Victron solar controller so I can get a good handle on how much my panels are producing.

If you want to charge from the TV "I" would suggest getting a B to B "battery to battery charger". I think Victron makes the best battery monitor so that means getting Victron equipment so they can talk to each other if you go with one of Victron's 700 series battery monitors.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ead-92081.html