Water Pump Shutting Everything Down - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #1

Name: JJ
Trailer: Perris Pacer
Oregon
Water Pump Shutting Everything Down

Hi All,

So I rewired much of the trailer and switched over to a PD 4100 recently. Everything is great... except for the water pump. When I hit the switch all the lights immediately shut down and the volt meter drops to 4. Needless to say, the water pump does not fire either. This "blackout" lasts 5-10 seconds and then everything goes back on and voltmeter reads normal. A couple of points:

-- Fuses are all intact.
-- pump worked fine before the conversion.
-- I did not touch the wires at the pump end.

Thoughts? Would reverse polarity cause this?
Jenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Are you plugged in and charging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenius View Post
Hi All,

So I rewired much of the trailer and switched over to a PD 4100 recently. Everything is great... except for the water pump.
If the battery is charged, the fuse should blow long before the voltage drops to 4 volts. Trace it back until you find where it drops down.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This sounds like a dead or defective battery.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #4

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
I tend to agree with Dan,
The battery will dump when a load like the pump is placed on it
I would suggest trying the pump on shore power
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:55 AM   #5

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
If this is happening on shore power as well then it is possible that the pump motor is worn out and drawing very high starting amps. Once it is running it is less of a load. If it ran for very long it would likely heat up. If it is only happening on battery power check the connections starting at the power station going back to the battery. If any connection is loss or corroded it may cause a power drop on a start up load from a motor. It will also generate heat from resistance.
Checking the battery is easiest and the battery is a likely the cause if it is old or neglected, but don't do what many do changing without charging it and having it tested.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I just had an other thought, you could hook your volt meter directly to the battery. If the battery voltage drops to the same extent when the pump starts charge the battery with an stand alone charger and test it again. If you get the same result have the battery tested. It is probably shot.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quite possibly a symptom of a bad battery; it happens, had one 3-yo drop to zero under load, but even hydrometer said it was good/ charged; new battery cured issue.
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:00 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
A colleague at work had a problem starting his vehicle. Sometimes it would turn over and other times it wouldn't. I diagnosed it to a bad battery terminal connection. So, when you check your battery, put the meter leads directly on the battery post and not the wire. If you maintain good voltage when loading it then you have a bad connection somewhere. An quick way to diagnose these types of problems is to attach one meter lead to the positive, or negative post and check for voltage drops along the wire run when load is applied. A bad connection will show up quickly.