What generator do I need? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 07:37 AM   #1

Name: Katherine
Trailer: Scamp 13'
CO - Colorado
What generator do I need?

Hi folks,

This is my first posting.

I am the new owner of a 2014 13' Scamp. I would like to get a generator, but am unsure as to what I should get. I'll be using it to run my AC on very warm days, as well as for everyday activities while dry camping.

Recommendations on an economical generator? Will a 2000 watt generator work for me?

Thanks!
jrtsnabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Most 2000 watt generators will have difficulty with most rooftop AC units unless you add a soft start/easy start unit to the AC. What that does is reduce the momentary start up current draw of the AC which is much higher than the running current draw.
If you have a new generator in the 2200 range what often happens is that it'll work when new but over time its capability will degrade slightly and no longer handle that initial load.

Walt
Old 05-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #3

CO - Colorado
Thanks, Walt!

So, if I have the soft starter, a 2000 watt generator should work?
Old 05-17-2021, 11:42 AM   #4

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I was told all the newer a/c have a soft start from the factory. I have a '15 17' Casita with a 9000 btu a/c and my Honda 2000 I bought in 2002 and has nearlt 2000 hrs on it runs it just fine. My other trailer was an Airstream with a 11,000 on it and it would run it ok if I turned the refrig to gas instead of electric. I would think the new Honda 2200 would do just fine. I have two of the 2000s and never use the second one on the Casita. However, using both of them reduces the noise. Hooked to gether, they run at about 3300 rpm vs. 3000 at idle. Running one runs at about 4200 rpm. I can run several days on one 5 gallon can of fuel hooked up so that it pulls the fuel out of the can and I do not have to refuel it every few hrs. Uses the same principal as a small outboard motor with an external fuel can.
Another trailer we had used a 13,500 btu a/c and it took both generators to run it.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #5

CO - Colorado
Awesome! Thanks so much for the great information, Dick!
Old 05-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
I have a Westinghouse 2200/2500 inverter generator.
I don't have a quick start but works fine on my Coleman air cond.
I have used it several times with no startup problems on the generator.
I'm thinking I may add "quick start" anyway, couldn't hurt.
kellbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #7

CO - Colorado
Great. Thanks, Bill!
Old 05-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
You have heard from a few people that have A/C units that very likely use less power than yours does. So first thing is to get the make, model and specs on your A/C. Next I would contact Micro-air with that information and ask them for the recommended generator size and version of the SoftStart that would work best for you. Or start with the support and FAQ pages at their website. Going forward I would give preference to anyone who has the same A/C unit as you and uses a generator.

But if course all that is for running the A/C.. for everything else I would go solar with the generator used only as a back-up when the solar energy is not sufficient.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #9

CO - Colorado
Thanks, Gordon! I really appreciate the suggestions and will follow through on that.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:25 PM   #10

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
I noticed you listed Colorado as your state.
Elevation can play a detrimental role in generators.
The higher the less oxygen. This means the generator
produces less wattage. Where a 2000 watt generator
at sea level, it might produce a percentage less at higher
altitudes
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:37 AM   #11

CO - Colorado
Thanks, CalCop. I've heard that higher altitudes can affect the generator. I'll take that into consideration.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The general rule of thumb for sizing generators was to take the largest full load at 200% and add the remaining loads at 100%
If your A/C draws 10 amps then 10A x 120V = 1200 watts- 1200 watts x 2 = a 2400 watt generator
This gives you enough to overcome starting current where a 2000 watt generator may not
We do not have a generator and prefer solar
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #13

CO - Colorado
Good info. Thanks, Steve!
Old 05-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #14

Name: Larry
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellbill View Post
I have a Westinghouse 2200/2500 inverter generator.
I don't have a quick start but works fine on my Coleman air cond.
I have used it several times with no startup problems on the generator.
I'm thinking I may add "quick start" anyway, couldn't hurt.

Ditto for me - same generator and it quietly handles the AC, etc. With AC on high it runs at about 50% capacity after startup. I installed a "mod" many Casita's use which interrupts the power to the AC to shut off the entire AC when temp is reached rather than just cycling the compressor on and off so rather than using the knob that first turns on the fan, then compressor as you continue to rotate, the mod makes the entire AC surge at once - the inside fan, outside fan, and compressor yet this particular generator handles it with ease.
ldsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #15

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
No personal experience, but have been debating getting a generator, I read that generators that run on propane have fewer problems with maintenance, particularly when used sporadically, which would be my usage. Plus can use already existing propane, rather than adding the need for gasoline storage tank.
Another of my concerns is noise, any forum comments on best way to avoid alienating the campground neighbors as well as I don't like noise either?
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #16

Oklahoma
I had the same thoughts, but finally just grabbed this generator when Sams made me an offer I couldn't refuse ($399 delivered). As for propane, I'll probably use this generator for emergency use as well with 2 refrigerators and a freezer at home but my main reason for using with the Casita is the ability to use the AC on the road for short roadside/parking lot stops or sleepovers. We live and travel in the south where typical summers temps are brutal day and night. I agree about the noise aspect and with lots of COE parks for $10 night with the geezer pass, it's simpler (and quieter) to plug into shore power.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
sorry but "with lots of COE parks for $10 night with the geezer pass,"
I am ignorant, what would this refer to?
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffminnesota View Post
sorry but "with lots of COE parks for $10 night with the geezer pass,"
.... what would this refer to?
COE is US Army Corps of Engineers ... they offer discounts for seniors, etc at their facilities... see:
https://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/wr...ion/Passes.asp
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 01:12 PM   #19

Oklahoma
I might also throw in that gasoline holds about 124,000 btu's per gallon, whereas liquid propane offers 91,330 btu per gallon, meaning a propane sourced generator will get about 30-35% less output power. A dual sourced propane/gasoline generator would solve that potential problem, having a secondary way to start/run your AC if the propane couldn't handle it.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:10 AM   #20

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffminnesota View Post
Another of my concerns is noise, any forum comments on best way to avoid alienating the campground neighbors as well as I don't like noise either?
Want to get along with me:
  • If you don't have air conditioning you don't need a generator. Solar and batteries have come a long way. We don't have one and we camp about 170 nights a year. We've learned how to camp in hot weather without a generator. OTOH, if you live in the southern states...............

• Spend a little more money and buy a decent generator, preferably a Honda. Listed to someone's Honda and if you purchase another brand take it back if it's noisy. Noise is the #1 way to alienate your neighbors.

• Don't start your genny before 8 am and shut it down by 8 pm.

• Don't drive away with your genny running. I have seen people turn them off (not me).

• Buy two 6 volt deep cycle batteries and a portable solar panel. If you need a cpap get a battery operated version. Don't use your cpap as an excuse to opearate your genny all night.

• Purchase a 90-100 watt portable solar panel to recharge your batteries. Two batteries and a portable solar panel are cheaper than a generator, easier to maintain, and you'll have no neighbor problems.

• In Minnesota you only need a generator perhaps 10 nights a year, but solar can be used successfully all year long.

We have friends in an Airstream that were sold a Honda 2000 generator when they purchased their camper. They found many Federal/State campgrounds have perhaps 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening for generator use. They now have 300 watts on the roof, two AGM deep cycle batteries, and except for their first year their Honda sits at home.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator