When the cold water is just too cold... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
When the cold water is just too cold...

I don't have or want a full-on water heater, however, I would like a way that might take the edge off of 35-45 degree water in my 10 gal cold water tank.

I was wondering how sweet it would be if there were a simple water heat set up of some kind that could be mounted in the cold tank which could run off of solar or at least 110 when plugged in. Just an element that could go in the tank to keep the fresh water maybe in the 60 degree range. Just enough so we could bear to put hands under it when the weather is cold.

I'm thinking maybe a simple element like a bird-bath heater (for the 110), or something that would work with a solar panel too would be useful.

So, my question...has anybody ever seen anything like this? Or, has anyone ever attempted a mod that can warm the fresh tank without going full-on water heater?
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:26 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
I don't have or want a full-on water heater, however, I would like a way that might take the edge off of 35-45 degree water in my 10 gal cold water tank.

I was wondering how sweet it would be if there were a simple water heat set up of some kind that could be mounted in the cold tank which could run off of solar or at least 110 when plugged in. Just an element that could go in the tank to keep the fresh water maybe in the 60 degree range. Just enough so we could bear to put hands under it when the weather is cold.

I'm thinking maybe a simple element like a bird-bath heater (for the 110), or something that would work with a solar panel too would be useful.

So, my question...has anybody ever seen anything like this? Or, has anyone ever attempted a mod that can warm the fresh tank without going full-on water heater?
There are commercially made warming blankets for waste water tanks and for fresh water tanks that are used to help prevent them from freezing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When you are on shore power, simply put an incandescent trouble light into the compartment with the wattage of your choice. Even a 40W with a plastic cage would work fine.
Better yet, heat water on the stove and poor it into your tank in an acceptable ratio, it will stay warm for a good while.
They do make on demand 110V water heaters or heat tape.

Check this out! There are several other choices on E-Bay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-B-Crew-110...QAAOSwf05XOpMr
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
RV Holding tank heater pad. It is sold at an affordable price. No need to adapt anything in an attempt to make it work for you. It is designed specifically for the purpose of warming RV tanks.
18-1/4" x 12" Holding Tank Heater Pad for RVs Therma Heat RV Plumbing 277-000164
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #5

Colorado
Thanks Floyd and KC...both excellent ideas that I hadn't thought of. Might start with the tank pad and see how it goes.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I added a couple of 3 inch vents to each underseat compartment. Convection will add a bit of heat from the warmer cabin space heated by the furnace, but only a bit.

You could also raise your tank and slip a one inch thick foam sheet underneath. There is no insulation at all on the floor. This would also help a bit. And try lining the outside sides of the tank with foam too.

Good luck and happy camping!

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
This reply is going in another direction. There are small tankless water heaters that run on propane. It is fed by a garden hose, and could feed back into trailer(?). I believe the unit has to operate outdoors for ventilation. But you or others might find this useful. Worth a look.
PS, links on Amazon's site show electric versions: Lotus at 3kw, or EcoSmart at 7.2kw
https://www.amazon.com/Eccotemp-L5-P.../dp/B000TXOJQ4
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Have you looked at a kitchen hot tap . It is basically a 2 quart water heater that mounts under a sink and runs on 120 AC
Why heat 12 gallons of water just to wash your hands.
and then have to cool the water off to drink.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Steve,

The Therma-heat pad shown only heats the water to 67 degrees. Good for hand washing or drinking, warmer than that is even better for drinking.

Putting your hands under a 2 quart hot tap for hand washing is not a good plan as they are designed to heat water to 140-200 degrees for making tea. They are not for hand washing and have no cold mixing system.

Another choice is to install a 2 gallon electric water heater under the sink. These are a conventional style water heater, but very small. They work very well and can be set at a much more reasonable temperature, like 100-120 degrees.

Tom only wants to take the edge off the very cold tank water. Seems like the the Therma-heat would work best.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Steve,

The Therma-heat pad shown only heats the water to 67 degrees. Good for hand washing or drinking, warmer than that is even better for drinking.

Putting your hands under a 2 quart hot tap for hand washing is not a good plan as they are designed to heat water to 140-200 degrees for making tea. They are not for hand washing and have no cold mixing system.

Another choice is to install a 2 gallon electric water heater under the sink. These are a conventional style water heater, but very small. They work very well and can be set at a much more reasonable temperature, like 100-120 degrees.

Tom only wants to take the edge off the very cold tank water. Seems like the the Therma-heat would work best.
The ground water temperatuse in our area is around 42 deg F which we find perfect for drinking. When we first built our cabin we used a hot tap with a built in thermostat for hot water at the kitchen sink. To be honest , I really don't understand the need to warm up water for drinking or hand washing .. It seems like a lot of work and added expense for no / little gain IMHO .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A kettle on the stove would also work.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The ground water temperatuse in our area is around 42 deg F which we find perfect for drinking. When we first built our cabin we used a hot tap with a built in thermostat for hot water at the kitchen sink. To be honest , I really don't understand the need to warm up water for drinking or hand washing .. It seems like a lot of work and added expense for no / little gain IMHO .
I agree.

It's funny how we all get used to putting ice in water and expecting it that way in restaurants. Maybe in summer it makes good sense, but in snowy Tahoe in the winter?

My wife came over from China and could not understand the habit of always putting ice in drinking water. Bad for the system, etc. Now, I agree with her and we both like drinking warm water. But I'm not willing to go to the trouble of warming water while camping, just for drinking. To prevent freezing, yes, not for drinking.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
My wife came over from China and could not understand the habit of always putting ice in drinking water. Bad for the system, etc. Now, I agree with her and we both like drinking warm water. But I'm not willing to go to the trouble of warming water while camping, just for drinking. To prevent freezing, yes, not for drinking.
While living in Germany I came to prefer beer that is not chilled. Nice I don't have to tie up room in the fridge!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #14

Colorado
For the record, I am not wanting to warm the water for drinking - I have a Britta pitcher in the fridge for drinking. But I do not like to wash hands/face, brush teeth, wash dishes, etc. in ice water. I froze my hands several times after many years of skiing and running ice water on them is uncomfortable and they take a long time to warm up again.

I am leaning towards the ThermaHeat pad and E-Trailer even has them on sale right now so there's that. I just need to figure out how to wire up to my convertor and I should be in business.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #15
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Not so long ago I saw (in either a Canadian Tire or Walmart ) a tall ( but small footprint) thermos with a pump . Might work to have one of those .... just fill with either hot or warm ....
bec is offline   Reply With Quote