where's the power going? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2021, 12:17 AM   #41

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
jon and jim i agree with both of you that the dometic 12v option is very inefficient and not very effective either. it should however cool as well as the propane or 120v which are also not very effective!
While I cannot help you with the missing watts, I will argue that the fridge is VERY effective on either 120v AC or LP. If it is not, something is wrong with the fridge. My Dometic maintains 0°F to +5°F in the freezer and +35°F to 38°F in the fridge when operating with the temp setting at mid range. It cycles on an off so it is not running all the time to achieve this.

Charles
Old 06-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #42

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Low Voltage at Fridge

Our 2000 16DLX Scamp had low (less than 11) volts at the 12v fridge because the wiring was too light. And it runs all the way around the trailer, and through the converter. And that was even when plugged into the TV with the engine running. Another camper put me onto how to fix it.
Run a heavy (12 gauge) wire directly from the battery to the fridge's 12 volt terminal. I did that by routing the wire underneath and through the frame, where possible. Depending on your floor plan, and accessibility you may be able to run it inside. Add a fuse holder at the battery end of the wire, And solder the joints to keep line losses to a minimum.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #43

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Talking

Bottom line, you should never see very much voltage drop between the battery and the load, regardless of what the load is or where it is. If you are seeing low voltage at the load then the wire or something else in between is dropping the voltage. The only way it can do so is high resistance. Resistors cause heat when current flows through them. Small wires can be resistors. Insulation can burst into flames from heat, or melt and expose neighboring things to hot wires.

Doesn't sound like a good thing to me.

I would absolutely believe that wires from the battery are too small. High resistance crimps, lug nuts, fuses. Prepare to rewire, I certainly am.

BTW I have an old 1995 Scamp 19' which will almost certainly be treated to an entirely new wiring system.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote