Will solar inverter keep my propane stove lit? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #1

Name: Renee
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Will solar inverter keep my propane stove lit?

I have a single burner cooktop in my Boler. It has an electric ignition, and unfortunately the fail safe which shuts off the propane supply if the electricity is not available. As when boondocking. It cannot be match lit ��
If I invest in solar, with a battery and inverter, and hook it up to the breaker box that I hardwired the stove into, will that work? If not, should I restore a plug to my stove, and plug into the inverter when off grid, and into a standard outlet (I installed two of them when we rewired) when we have shore power?
Old 07-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
How much power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeN View Post
I have a single burner cooktop in my Boler. It has an electric ignition, and unfortunately the fail safe which shuts off the propane supply if the electricity is not available. As when boondocking. It cannot be match lit
What stove is it? How much power is required?
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #3

Washington
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07YWD8V42/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ReneeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #4

Washington
Gas land chef 12” single burner gas cooktop.
ReneeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #5

Washington
My husband pointed out we can haul our lazy butts outside and use the outdoor propane stove to boil water for our pour-over coffee in the morning. Sigh.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
Lighting with no power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeN View Post
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07YWD8V42/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I can not understand why any company would make a GAS cook top that requires ELECTRICITY. They do not even say how much power it takes. The proper inverter would run it, but there is no indication of how much power it requires.
I still have the stock cooktop and added a grill lighter to the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
55 stovetop.jpg  
Old 07-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #7

Washington
It is a safety feature I wish I did not have. There are cooktop that explicitly state they can be match lit. Unfortunately I did not realize the significance of this. Damn. 200 for the cooktop, and 400 for the pretty maple countertop I cut a hole into for the drop in stove. I am stuck with the setup. The only time I need inside cooktop is morning coffee and oatmeal in the morning. Oh well, I do have a nice outdoor grill/stove.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Renee,

I looked up your stove and it says "Thermocouple Protection".

There are two types of flame safeties that I know of. One uses flame rectification, which requires power, and the other is thermocouple protection, which requires no power.

The automatic igniter does require power unless it is a snap button that you push.

So, just to be clear and to make sure I'm understanding the situation, the igniting sequence is something like this: Push the knob in (this overrides the thermocouple), turn the knob (which opens the gas supply and switches on the spark system), once lit, hold the knob pushed in for several seconds to give the thermocouple a chance to warm up, release the knob (which allows it to pop out), and the flame should stay on. (If the thermoucouple was warmed up enough and the system is working properly).

Thermocouple systems require no outside power to operate. The advertisement for your stove says it is a "thermocouple protection system".

The electronic sparking system does require power from either a battery of the house current.

So, help me understand: if you push the knob in, and turn it to turn the gas on, and then light the flame with a match, and then continue to hold the knob pushed in and turned for a few seconds before letting go, will the flame stay on?

Once get past that hurdle, we can go to the next step. It either will stay on, or it will not stay on.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:16 PM   #9

Washington
I will try your method and let you know. Extreme thanks for helping..
Old 07-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Registry
One yes, one no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Renee,

So, help me understand: if you push the knob in, and turn it to turn the gas on, and then light the flame with a match, and then continue to hold the knob pushed in and turned for a few seconds before letting go, will the flame stay on? .
I asked on Amazon and got two answers, Yes you can light it, and no you can't.
That is a nice looking stove top.
My home stove top match lights but the oven needs lots of electricty to stay lit. (glow bar)
Old 07-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #11

Washington
Raspy- I got the stove top to work! Yahoo. No elect connection. Breakers off. Held lit flame to ignition area and turned knob. Kept it depressed for about 15 seconds, let go, and it stayed lit. I am thrilled.
Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:10 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Excellent.

It is a thermocouple based flame test, not electric rectification. The power is used to make the spark but not to prove it is lit.

Glad you got it figured out!

Tags
propane, solar