Wiring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 1974 13' Boler
Alberta
Wiring

Hi there, I am new to this boler world and am trying to redo a 1974 boler. Just a question I have cut wires underneath sink are and under front left bunk area. Not sure if at 1 time they had a converter under the sink & a battery under the bunk. No cut outs by fridge or furnace for a converter, so I am stumped. I am not an electrician so any help would be great.
Ronise99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would expect a converter would have just been a metal box screwed to the floor. No need for cut outs. Does the main wiring harness from the trailer plug run in on the street side under the bunk? Battery would rarely be inside, normally on tongue.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

Alberta
No, The trailer plug runs out from under sink as well, there are cut wires under the bunk, nothing there and a seperate white wire I am assuming is the ground. The trailer plug is connected behind plug in receptacle between furnace and fridge.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #4

Alberta
I will take a picture right after supper and give you a better idea.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

Michigan
By trailer plug I meant the one going to the tow vehicle. Rather than the shore power 110 volt plug. I should have made that clearer. Picture(s) would be good.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #6

Alberta
The trailer plug going to tow vehicle runs underneath to the tongue of boler. Here are the pictures: The first 2 are under the sink and the last 2 under the bunk. Notice in the 2nd picture there is also a 110 plug, not sure what that is for either.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #7

Alberta
2nd Pic
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #8

Michigan
Pictures not showing up in posts?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #9

Alberta
Ok here's all 4
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1466.jpg   IMG_1467.jpg  

IMG_1469.jpg   IMG_1470.jpg  

Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronise99 View Post
The trailer plug going to tow vehicle runs underneath to the tongue of boler. Here are the pictures: The first 2 are under the sink and the last 2 under the bunk. Notice in the 2nd picture there is also a 110 plug, not sure what that is for either.
I'm looking at the wiring in a Scamp so YMMV but they are pretty close in design so here is my take based on that.

Wires to trailer plug run under the tongue on the outside. I'm guessing they originally came inside along that street (drivers) side then run along the wall under the kitchen counter and sink. Possibly coming into the trailer through that round hole under the couch (picture #4).

Just makes sense to run the camper 12 volt and trailer signal light wiring inside along that street side wall. Other side has a door so no way for the trailer light wires to get to rear without crossing that open space. Street side they can run behind cabinets and under rear bench seats along the wall the whole way.

That spaghetti mess of colored wires looks like... nothing nice. Almost looks like the entire tail light harness and camper 12 volt wiring was cut at both ends. Black and White would be 12 volt camper feeds from trailer plug and/or battery on tongue for fridge, lights, and maybe a fan.

Those colored wires look an awful lot like the rear tail light wires. Do you have functioning tail lights? If so where are those wires?

The 110 volt plug might go to your fridge, see if the wire runs behind the fridge. On my scamp there is a load center (circuit breaker) that has a heavy cord and plug going outside to plug in at campground, and a single outlet that the fridge plugs into is under the sink and wired to the load center.

It almost looks like a PO cut the wires at the front, and under the sink. Possibly intending to use those to pull through new wires. Not uncommon to use electrical tape to attach old wire to new then use old wire to pull the new wire through. A total work in progress that was never completed.

Might want to check under sink area to see if you have a black and a white wire running up that leads to any 12 volt lights, but there can also be a black and white wire running to a 110 volt light under the cabinet. On mine the 12 volt runs along the rear of the kitchen cabinet, the 110 volt runs right up to that light.

I think you are starting from scratch with the wiring, out with the old and in with the new. And if you have trailer lights that work I would look for those wires.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #11

Michigan
Found a picture of under sink. Note the bundle of colored wires running along the bottom of the wall. The outlet used to plug in the fridge which would be located to the right. The black power cord that would run through a "cord port" to plug in at the campground.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #12

Alberta
Thanks so much, ya I do have running tail lights and as for the plug maybe being the fridge, I have no receptacle on the inside just directly outside so I plugged it in there nothing. I do have the black and white wire running down and cut as well from the above counter, I assume they are for the 2 interior side lights that don't work obviously lol. Thanks again
Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
FWIW: It's a 40 year old trailer. Use the old wires to pull new one through and start over. It will save time and be a lot more reliable.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #14

Michigan
I have no idea how familiar you are with RV fridges but if you have a 3 way fridge it won't do anything when plugged in, power just runs a small heating element on the back. Takes hours for it to get cold, and fridge has to be level (check with bubble level) to even work properly. That is assuming the old heating element still works and all the switches on the fridge are set to electric operation.

Check with another power device to make sure you have electric source at the plug. Sometimes it's the simple things that get you.

Look under the trailer, if that is where you tail light wires run then someone has probably done a rewire of those. Under floor or along frame tail light wiring is typical of utility trailers. It would be the easiest way to get the tail lights hooked up if one was in the middle of a re-wiring and wanted to get the trailer able to go on the road.

Really looks like you are starting from scratch with the wiring, which considering the mess left behind by previous owner is probably a good thing. These trailer have pretty simple electrical systems so a total rewire is not a huge undertaking as long as you can wire 110 volt house wiring safely or get guidance from someone that can.

If electrical is not in your wheel house then a couple of beers and something tasty on the grill should be enough to get a friend or relative with experience over to spend a day showing you how and helping you get it done.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you go to the documents center on the home page of this forum you will find a brochure for the 74 Boler and a 3 way fridge was an option & if it had/has one the trailer probable had a converter and the 110 plug is your fridge. Its possible the original owner never wanted to use 110 so never had the converter installed but having said that with the big bundle of wires at the same point the 110 cord is it would make me suspect a converter was used as some point - especially if you have 110 service on the outside to plug into.

If you plug the fridge directly into 110 you can expect it to take several hours/over night to cool down. its not something you can tell right away if it is working or not.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #16

Alberta
That's what I plan on doing, because I work construction I can get an electrician here I'm sure lol. Beers always work. Thanks again
Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #17

Alberta
Thanks Carol, I appreciate any advice!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #18

Michigan
That cut bundle of wires under the sink appears to have the same colors as the ones cut up front under the couch, right next to the hole in the floor.

I think that bundle was the original tongue to trailer wiring, including both the tail lights and camper 12 volt system since I see the white and black wire in those bundles at both ends.

Does not mean it did not have an inverter because that might well have been hooked into the same 12 volt line as the battery on the tongue coming back in the bundle of cut wires. A really old inverter I had acted as an auto battery switch. All 12 volt came from there and was either fed from transformer of converter or line running to battery. Had an I kid you not actual relay you could hear kick over when you plugged in.

Yep getting an electrician over will make short work of the whole thing. Might start considering where you want to have outlet(s) and lining up some parts. Under the sink is sort of inconvenient place to plug in a laptop but works great for the fridge and the converter.

Notice in that picture there is a second unused place for a circuit breaker so you can add a plug or two where it will do the most good, outside by the door is a popular choice or the end of the lower kitchen cabinet. Oh and adding GFCI outlet to the end of a line will make it a lot safer.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #19

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Definitely looks like a light harness. Like they said, easier, quicker, and likely cheaper to rip the spaghetti out and start over. Looks like a good excuse for led lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #20

Name: Angela
Trailer: 1981 Burro
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Found a picture of under sink. Note the bundle of colored wires running along the bottom of the wall. The outlet used to plug in the fridge which would be located to the right. The black power cord that would run through a "cord port" to plug in at the campground.

Dear RogerDat,
In message #11, you have a photo of a breaker box. Is this your box? If so, can you take a pic of the inside of your box & post it? This is exactly what I'm about to put inside my Burro (a 2 spot, four circuit). Would love to see an example of how the neutral bar and ground was handled...