Wiring 7 pin connector troubke - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2022, 12:09 PM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Jayco
Colorado
Wiring 7 pin connector troubke

Trying to add a 7 pin female connector on 96 T100.

The brake lights and turn signals seem to go on the same pin connection ( left side brake/turn pin and right side brake/turn pin).

All trailer lights and truck lights work great when brake lights wire not connected to pin. When I connect truck brake light wire to same pin as left turn wire, the current feeds back to turn lights on both truck and trailer.

How do I prevent current crossover/ feedback when both pulling vehicle’s brake and turn light wires are connected to same female plug pin?
Kevin in Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If your tow vehicle has separate turn & stop lights, one of these will solve the problem. You will have to connect the output to a 7 pin connector rather than the 4 pin it comes with.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
etrailer.com may have a converter and wiring harness specifically to fit your vehicle, plugs in to harness in your vehicle. They have good support / installation videos
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:12 PM   #4

Colorado
Jon,

Tow vehicle (1996 Toyota T100). Has separate turn and stop lights. Trailer (2022 Jayco) came with 7 pin male plug.

Trailer uses same lights for turn and stop. Directions for custom wiring 7 pin female hook up to truck indicate that left turn light wire and left brake light wire go to same female pin attachment ( ditto for right side turn and brake wires). Both brake lights and turn lights work on tuck and trailer when only turn OR brake is wired to pin. When both are wired to same pin, current crosses over between brake lights and turn lights.

I don’t know how to attach both brake light and turn light wires to same pin hitch without creating the electrical cross over???
Old 07-24-2022, 02:42 PM   #5

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
You need a converter to wire this and have everything work.
Here's a page from eTrailer to get you started.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-32884.html

I would either search on their site or give them a call.
Their technicians have always been very knowledgeable when I've called them or done the internet/web chat thing.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:33 PM   #6

Colorado
Thanks Alan

Thank you Alan. A mechanic buddy of mine just told me the same thing. I researched this quite a bit on line before joining this forum, and never saw mention of a converter. Hopefully this thread helps the next person. Too bad the 7 pin product instructions didn’t mention the potential need for a converter. Mystery resolved.