Wiring Confusion! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
Registry
Wiring Confusion!

Trying to get the wiring so I can get on to what I know! There are 2 wires running through the tube to the hitch. Each wire contains 3 wires, white, black, and green. They seem in good condition but not sure how to wire them to a standard 4 flat plug. Maybe I should replace them with the right color coding to eliminate the cofussion. Any input will be appreshiated.
hueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Bargman (the folks who make the lights) uses black for stop/turn, green for tail light, and white for common or ground. Hope that helps, Raz

p.s. Welcome to the forum
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I agree that your probably best to use the correct color coding for your wiring.

Three separate AC cables, with each wire being used, sounds like some one was cutting corners. Not a good sign. Do they all go to the plug, or is the a place that they spliced into a cable to connect to the TV? Are all 9 wires used? What kind of connector does the trailer have now?

I would go with the 7 pin trailer connector, not the 4 flat plug. There is no provision for brakes, or power from the TV on the 4 pin connector. I would use larger wire for the power from the tow vehicle.

Pictures would be good.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Florida
Registry
Both sides have gr,blk and wh?
Attached Thumbnails
I Phone.jpg  
Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Raz

My best guess. The two whites are the ground. The two greens are your tail or parking lights. One black is the left turn signal/ stop light. One black is the right turn signal / stop light. You can verify this using a 12 v. source. The previous owner appears to have used two old extension cords perhaps because they used the same colors. Now match them up to the 4 pin diagram. Both whites to the white on the 4 pin. Both greens to the brown on the 4 pin. One black to yellow and the other to green. Raz
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is the original UHaul wiring. They used 110 volt wiring with a a rubber sheathing, thus the color coding.

The UHaul has amber turn signals in addition to the red tail lights. When they were rented, the UHaul techs would plug in bullet connectors in to clinch splice connectors on the customer's car to make everything work. So, if the car had amber turn signals, they would tap into these in addition to the brake lights to make it all work.

The white wire is for tail lights and is also wired into the clearance lights. Tan is ground. The tan wire starts from underneath where the wires pass into the trailer. You can use the green and black as you like, but be aware that as there are two separate wire bundles, there are two greens,two blacks, etc.

My suggestion, wire the two white wires to the brown wire on the 4 pin connector. Wire the left green to the yellow, the right green to the green on the 4 way connector. Use the black wires as ground (connect to white wire on 4 way and to the tan wire in the trailer) and make sure they are plugged into the ground wire at the tail lights.

You will need to plug the appropriate wires into the bullet plugs at the lower tail lights. This leaves you with the top, amber lights unused. If you want them to be functional, there is an electronic adapter that can be purchased.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
This is the original UHaul wiring. They used 110 volt wiring with a a rubber sheathing, thus the color coding.

The UHaul has amber turn signals in addition to the red tail lights. When they were rented, the UHaul techs would plug in bullet connectors in to clinch splice connectors on the customer's car to make everything work. So, if the car had amber turn signals, they would tap into these in addition to the brake lights to make it all work.

The white wire is for tail lights and is also wired into the clearance lights. Tan is ground. The tan wire starts from underneath where the wires pass into the trailer. You can use the green and black as you like, but be aware that as there are two separate wire bundles, there are two greens,two blacks, etc.

My suggestion, wire the two white wires to the brown wire on the 4 pin connector. Wire the left green to the yellow, the right green to the green on the 4 way connector. Use the black wires as ground (connect to white wire on 4 way and to the tan wire in the trailer) and make sure they are plugged into the ground wire at the tail lights.

You will need to plug the appropriate wires into the bullet plugs at the lower tail lights. This leaves you with the top, amber lights unused. If you want them to be functional, there is an electronic adapter that can be purchased.
'Bout time you got here. I was using the Bargman color code. One thing though, I don't see a tan wire. Raz
Old 07-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
'Bout time got here. I was using the Bargman color code. One thing though, I don't see a tan wire. Raz
Ah grasshopper, you did not read carefully.

Quote:
Tan is ground. The tan wire starts from underneath where the wires pass into the trailer.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Raz

Quote:
Ah grasshopper, you did not read carefully.
That may be but since the gentleman isn't holding a tan wire, I don't see one.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I don't think my Uhaul had a tan wire, but I found that where the two wire cords came out of the tongue underneath the trailer, the insulation was cracked to where I could see bare wire. I replaced all the original wiring with new except for the marker light wiring that was in the walls. Note that the marker lights were wired in two separate circuits. Typical of big trucks and trailers. I used the four wire flat wiring, 14 ga. I did not fish it through the tongue as it could move around in there and wear through, I ran it along the tongue, up into the trailer by the right wheel where the original wire was routed, to the right tail light area, then across to the left tail light, then to the marker light wire that is near the sink. There is another marker light wire near the right wheel well. I'm not using the amber part of the tail lights at this time. My rear mount bike rack also has stop/turn/tail lights on it, plus the silver/red reflective tape. No excuses for not seeing me!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I don't think my Uhaul had a tan wire........
Mine was grounded to the frame at the tongue. The three wire (black, white, green) sheath ended under the floor in front of the axle and a four wire sheath (including the tan wire) continued on to the tail lights, inside the trailer. The tan wire was grounded to the frame under the floor.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our Uhaul had two 3 wire cords run through the tongue, exiting on the left and right sides in the front, and back under the trailer where one went up through the floor by the right wheel well and the other by the left wheel well. The wires were black, white, and green in each cord. There was no plug of any kind when we got it.I think there was a ground wire on the tongue Inside the trailer there were a lot of connections made with those scotch lock connectors. Typical half a$$ed quick wiring job! Were these trailers made in more than one place or by different companies? I'm seeing differences between ours and others, I know there were upgrades and changes made over time.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #13

Florida
Registry
Thought I was confussed before! I'm an artist so I think I'll replace it all! I understand colors. Not sure if I'll run them inside the tonge or not. Uhaul did some crazy stuff huh!

Thanks for all your input, I have to keep it simple!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueman View Post
Thought I was confussed before! I'm an artist so I think I'll replace it all! I understand colors. Not sure if I'll run them inside the tonge or not. Uhaul did some crazy stuff huh!

It is up to you, of course, but if the wiring is in good shape I'd just reuse it. It is likely that you only need to wire the 4 pole plug to the end at the tongue and plug the bullet connectors into the right sockets at the tail lights, which you can reach from the inside storage compartments.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueman View Post

Steve, it's really not that complicated but remember these are old trailers that have had who knows how many owners. Also, manufacturers set there own standards so it's not that Uhaul did crazy stuff but rather they did it there way. We are not there so we are taking our best guess as to what you have. My suggestion is you sleep on it and then reread Tom's explanation of the wires and then ask about what you don't get. We'll be here. Take care, Raz
Old 07-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
... they did it there way.
When many of these trailers were made was also the era of Sinatra's "I did it my way". Who says music does not influence society?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #17

Florida
Registry
OK, Rewired it all but with turn signal on all the lights have a slight pulse? The uhaul has a red and brown. I ran all the whites to a ground. Tried the green feed to both red and brown, with no difference. Its like thewhite is the problem. Can't wait to get this wiring done. Got a new battery so the cab is next as soon as the running lights are done. Thanks for all the help. Steve
Old 07-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Bargeman makes real neat complete light wiring kits. You might be able to use the existing wires to pull the new ones to the back. When in doubt, do it right.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
Raz

Quote:

Steve, since Tom has a Uhaul his advice is the best to follow. You will first have to locate the Tan wire he talks about and then go from there. Raz
Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Steve, since Tom has a Uhaul his advice is the best to follow. You will first have to locate the Tan wire he talks about and then go from there. Raz

Thanks for your confidence.

There is nothing magic about the tan wire, it just brings the ground from the frame to the tail lights and the clearance lights. You can duplicate its function by using one of the extra wires, especially if you are not using the amber tail lights.

I never depend on the frame for electrical conduction, as it is so much easier and dependable to just run a separate ground wire.