Wiring help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
Wiring help

I know plenty about 220/120v wiring .... But 12v and how they interact in a camper..... Not so much. I am trying to get a big picture idea of what I have here, what I need, and how it all works being this is our first camper.... Ever.

Two pics to see if I can get some help with what I have going on in here: the breaker box and some kind of module on top of hot water tank.

So... I see no converter from 12v to 120 or vise versa. Was it removed? Hidden in some other location? Do I need a battery installed for stuff to work if I plug her in at home?

This is just the start of electrical questions in sure...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398437208.457156.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	70259Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1398437235.707704.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	70260
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I think the thing on top the water heater is a thermostat for an electric rod that is screwed inside the water tank from the outside. Look outside on the water heater tank and see if you have an electrical connection.

The first picture looks like 120vac only. To have 12vdc there is a converter connected to 120vac that produces 12vdc. It is like a battery charger and supplies 12vdc to the 12vdc inside lights ant to the battery for charging.

Look to see if you have a place for a battery outside the unit up on the toung. If you have wires up there, plug the 120ac in and take a reading to see if you have DC there.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Ohio
Wiring help

There definitely is a battery box with wired up terminals. Once I make sure all my bare wires from removed lighting are not touching ill plug her in and see what I have. Thanks for the starting point!

Where is the converter usually housed? What do I need to look for coming out of the breaker box to see if there use to be a converter and someone just left me with bare wires?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer scamp View Post
Where is the converter usually housed?
That may depend on your layout.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Under a bench seat or couch and it will have a 110 AC line going to it or to an outlet near it. Essentially a transformer that kicks out 12 volt when you plug in. Metal case, power cord for outlet, or direct wired to AC line. Some 12 volt wires running to and from it.

Follow your 110 lines and you will find it if it's there. Or work from the battery lines.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #6

Ohio
It's an '85 16' layout 4.

Will follow the lines tonight and see what I can find, but i have everything out of the inside but bare kitchen cabinets and front bottom bunk and haven't seen anything like that yet...

On a side note, why is there a water tank under middle of front bunk AND under sink? There is a pump attached to one under bunk and both have external access.... Just extra water storage?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
May not have one. I think some only came with the battery, no converter. Not 100% sure in FGRV world, heck my scamp did not come with a place for the battery, 12 volt lights and fridge only ran off of the tow vehicle.

I guess they figured 12 volt while traveling only or having a second RV battery installed in tow?

This amazon link and the what others looked at on the page will give you an idea of what they look like. Amazon.com: Powermax 110 Volt to 12 Volt Dv Power Supply Converter Charger for Rv Pm3-55 (55 Amp): Car Electronics
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My last trailer ,a Scamp did not have a converter . It had a smart charger located in the cabinet below the sink
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #9

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
My 98 Scamp did not come with a converter. Everything 12v ran off a battery which was charged from the TV.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #10

Name: Brandi
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
Texas
Our uhaul had two water tanks. One was for the swamp cooler on the roof.
Brandiwhne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #11

Ohio
So what I can see are 2 very old and crusty battery terminals both with 2 wires connected to each. The 2 black and 2 white just run inside along with the 7 pin wiring rig then the B&W wires just start connecting and splitting off right along with the rainbow of wires to all exterior lights.

So I guess I'm going with the theory that there was never a converter and the battery runs everything and battery is charged by TV???
So.... Where does that leave me??? Ok to just go with that setup and add a converter whenever or should I just do it now?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #12

Ohio
If this is correct....How does the TV charge the battery? Not seeing how that connection is made between the two systems
Old 04-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I my 1988 Scamp 16 the converter is partially under teh driver's side back bunk and some under the refrigerator. It is plugged into the same 120V receptacle as the refrigerator. I think since you have taken out that side reparing rot and not seen it you must not have one. This would be a good time to add a nice converter with smart charger.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
1. That "Thing" on top of the water heater looks like the electric start module to start the water heater on GAS. There should be a switch labeled water heater inside.

2. You didn't mention the age of your Scamp, but they haven't been famous until the past year or so for using a quality power chassis. I always suggest installing a new Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 power chassis and start rewiring from there.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Scamp wiring diagram from the page at this link that also has a brief discussion of the system. Presence or not of a given component doesn't affect/change the layout.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #16

Ohio
That was exactly what I needed to see and read! Thank you.

Now, if there is no power converter everything is just run off the battery and then 120 breakers and everything running on 120 need to have shore power to work? Can you tap in and put a converter anywhere in camper than works best so long as you can run a 120 line to it? As in under the front bunk would be perfect for us... I could get the 120 from fluorescent light ( mrs has "other ideas" for that spot )?? Sound logical or am I not getting yet?

I'd prefer if possible to not replace everything...
Thanks all!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #17

Registry
You can put the converter wherever you want to locate it in the trailer, just so long as its wired as shown.

Be warned that depending on what one you buy, they can be a bit noisy...not sure I'd want a cooling fan running directly under my bed!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #18

Ohio
Have any suggestions for a quality converter?
Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #19

Registry
Since I'm still using the original converter that came with my '78 Trillium, I'll leave recommendations for units actually built in this millenium to those more expert than I.

I'm sure somebody'll be chiming in here shortly- good luck to you!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
The white "module" in the second photograph is an electronic igniter for the hot water heater when operating on propane.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote