12 Volt water pump recommendation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #1

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
12 Volt water pump recommendation

I have a 1977 13' Scamp with a 10 gallon fresh water tank and a manual pump faucet and I'd like to update to a foot-switch 12 Volt electric inline pump.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a unit like this?

I'm seeing things like 55 PSI water pumps and all I need is a tiny one that will pee-out a small stream from the faucet.

Actually, the lower flow the better so we (my spouse) doesn't use up all the water washing their face. :-)
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have used ones similar to the one below with great success.
The first picture is a kit complete with faucet and switch($45), but the pump can be purchased separately...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14321096916...c60aa37b3665a3

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Looks good to me.
Also, boat sump pump may work.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #4

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Electric galley water pump.

Thanks, that's the phrase I needed to "google" my way to a low-volume low-pressure pump. I was using "electric water pump 12 Volt" and kept getting high-pressure high-volume pumps for things like house sumps.

I'll post once I get one installed and have tried it out.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Its written right on the assembly.

https://www.amazon.com/Five-Oceans-G...99618577&psc=1
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:37 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The other decision you need to make is whether you need a self priming pump. If you are coming off the bottom of the water tank, the one above is fine. If you want to drop a suction hose down through the top of the water tank, you will need a self primer.

Some pumps are pretty noisy. One "advantage" of a noisy pump is you are less likely to leave it on!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
The other decision you need to make is whether you need a self priming pump. If you are coming off the bottom of the water tank, the one above is fine. If you want to drop a suction hose down through the top of the water tank, you will need a self primer.

Some pumps are pretty noisy. One "advantage" of a noisy pump is you are less likely to leave it on!
Ours is original equipment pump self primes, but like you say noisy till pressure is up or when you run a tap and uses a lot of power. In fact run the pump and all the lights dim. Adding a sink tap with pump may get you thinking of more lol

We did replace our piping with Pex style from soft copper. The Pex diameter had to be small enough for the pump to handle. Hot & cold sink water, toilet, and shower work great. Newer pumps may be more efficient then our 42 year old relic.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post

I have mounted the type of pump I mentioned above in various locations, in line from the fresh water tank to the faucet, even up under the sink well above the tank.
Worked well.
It does not need a pressure shut off or a faucet with shut off valve, it is simply controlled by the on/off switch.
The ones I used were quiet and vibration free, just throw the switch and see the water flow... plenty good for a sink, but not enough pressure for a shower IMO.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco