12v UV water Filter? Do you have one? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: trillium
Washington
12v UV water Filter? Do you have one?

Looking for a water purification system that will run on 12v for our Trillium holding tank... should be something out there but my internet searches have been useless so far.
bobglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
12 V UV water filter

Perhaps this?

Ultraviolet Water Filters And Purifiers Model 1000
JessieJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Love paranoia, keeps the economy going strong.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #4

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
+1 :-)
Old 10-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
There is a cheep solution as well:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post443772

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobglass View Post
Looking for a water purification system that will run on 12v for our Trillium holding tank... should be something out there but my internet searches have been useless so far.
This seems to be a fresh area for the FGRV crowd. Can you add some info as to why you are exploring this possibility?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:23 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm interested as well, although I'm somewhat influenced by if there were an identified problem they would have all sorts of systems out there already. Failing that perhaps an epidemic of sick campers. Perhaps he is planning a lot of camping south of the border in countries with less than ideal water sources?
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: trillium
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
This seems to be a fresh area for the FGRV crowd. Can you add some info as to why you are exploring this possibility?
We're heading to the Baja this winter, my wife has concerns about drinking water in some of the more remote places. I know there are bleach solutions which will kill everything, but we're looking for a bleach-less way to treat water, and the UV treatments look promising. thanx for your input!
bobglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #9

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Bottled water is available widely in most areas of Mexico. We cruised by boat and had a water maker but many of our friends schlepped water. My brother toured there last winter by RV and had no water issues.
If you are concerned there are a number of counter top filters that may work for you

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Bottled water may be widely available, but we were cautioned about where you get it from. It was suggested that some locals gather discarded bottles, fill them from a tap and cap them and then sell them.
I know this can work, because my daughter took Nestle water bottles, emptied the contents and filled with vodka. Then she took caps that I used in making beer and capped the bottles.
It appeared that the bottles had never been opened. You couldn't tell it had been tampered with, and neither could security at the concert.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 AM   #11

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Having spent a good deal of time in some of the 'rougher parts' of Central America, I'm somewhat familiar with water purity problems. Physical filters work well against everything but viruses. For that one needs chemicals, boiling, or UV-C light. While a little expensive ($75 to as-much-as-you-want-to-pay) UV water purifies are effective if used correctly. There are many models of UV water purifiers that work on 12v, and some that even work on small lithium or standard AA type batteries. One such small battery model that I've seen used is the SteriPen (around $100 from sources like Amazon or REI). It is a small hand-held device that one can use in a water glass, cup, bottle, etc. (handy for treating water in a restaurant or hotel room setting, just stick it in the glass, turn it on, and stir it around for a minute). The UV light must hit the cooties to do away with them, so it is much less effective if used with dirty water, water with ice in it, water with things like lemon wedges, or water with anything that can cast a 'shadow of safety' for the cooties. The upside is it is quicker than boiling and doesn't add any taste like chemical treatment. Happy camping!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote