1985 Bigfoot water line diagrams? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

Name: Kris
Trailer: Bigfoot
SK
Thumbs up 1985 Bigfoot water line diagrams?

Hi all,

I bought a 1985 Bigfoot 17' about 6 weeks ago. When I got it the owner said he had just replaced the water pump, and winterized the lines with antifreeze, etc.

Last weekend I had it out for the first time. Drained the antifreeze, filled the fresh water, and started to test everything.

The good news is that the toilet, bathroom sink/shower, and kitchen shower all run.

The really bad news is that almost all the water lines leak, and sprayed water all inside the trailer, inside the cabinet, under the bathroom surround, etc. I had water leaking out the little holes on the underside of the shell. Oh, and the grey water tank is cracked on the outside. I know now why he replaced the water pump. He didn't winterize the trailer previously, blew all the lines and the pump, and figured the pump would be obvious before selling the trailer. Sure, I'd like to choke him, but I guess I should have tried the water before I bought it.

So, I'm now looking at the daunting task of replacing all the pex lines in the trailer. It doesn't seem overly complicated, but I don't know how they're run, how or where or if they're attached to the shell, or even how to access under the kitchen sink. Do I really have to remove the furnace to see under there?

If anyone knows of a walkthrough, a tutorial, a video, or a diagram for any of this you may just be saving my life.

Thanks,
Kris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:03 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I know this post is old but I can't believe you didn't get s single response. I sold my BF a few years ago so I don't visit this site very often but I did a full re-plumb on my 1989 BF 17 and posted a long entry here on what I did. You probably solved your issue by now but if not, I hope this helps.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...7-a-58944.html
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Name: Kris
Trailer: Bigfoot
SK
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
I know this post is old but I can't believe you didn't get s single response. I sold my BF a few years ago so I don't visit this site very often but I did a full re-plumb on my 1989 BF 17 and posted a long entry here on what I did. You probably solved your issue by now but if not, I hope this helps.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...7-a-58944.html
I actually have not fixed this yet. I managed to get the sink out in late August, so I can access under there, but got super busy in September, and then the Canadian winter hit.

I will be doing this in the spring, and thank you very much for your link. I am quite certain it will help a lot when I do this.

Thanks!
Kris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Mike's posting of his water line refit is outstanding! This is pretty much the same procedure I followed to do the line repairs on our Silver Cloud. However, some of our lines are still original (and solid!) because they run in really inaccessible places. I think if the lines to the kitchen ever go, I'll just run new PEX in a more accessible location, even if it adds total length to the system. Regarding his Apollo fittings, I had the same concerns with another brand available to me. However, the poor reviews have to have come from people who did not take the time to install the fittings correctly. I know from experience that forgetting that inner black liner or not pushing in the tube that extra 1/32 inch can result in constant new leaks. Take your time and push it all the way!

Best of luck as you work on your system.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
by a real tubing cutter so you get a nice square cut, I like Watts push fittings, so far they seem fine for me

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot