84 fiberstream Waterpump/water heater question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
84 fiberstream Waterpump/water heater question

I was going to bring my 84 fiberstream to an RV dealer to have the water pump and water heater looked at- and I know they will probably charge me an arm and a leg for replacement. How do I know if they need replaced? And if so, if it's not so difficult, I believe my husband can do it. He did build our house, even the plumbing. I just thought I could save my self $100's if I just knew more about it.
thanks,
Cyndi
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
The water heaters typically let you know they need to be replaced when the tank rots through and spills water all over the floor. If it's been flushed out regularly that is less likely to happen. There are water, gas and sometimes electrical connections to be made. This link may give you an idea: DIY – RV Water Heater Replacement

Water pumps are much easier to replace, and might cost $50 to $100 for the part. It should be marked with a Shurflo part number or something you can cross reference. some will have an integral pressure switch and/or a check valve.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
I was going to bring my 84 fiberstream to an RV dealer to have the water pump and water heater looked at- and I know they will probably charge me an arm and a leg for replacement. How do I know if they need replaced?
I still use the original Water Heater in my '78 Fiber Stream because of its old fashioned simplicity. The gas burner works well, but the electric element doesn't seem to work... and I'm OK with that.

My original pump only supplied low pressure; the water didn't flow but merely trickled, and the pump noise could wake the dead.
I was very happy with the results of replacing it. Good water pressure and near silent operation.
OLDClick image for larger version

Name:	Old.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	45698 Click image for larger version

Name:	New.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	45699NEW

Your '84 probably has a Furnace where my Water Pump is located; but setting it up beside the tank instead of between the tank and water heater like mine is doable.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
You're right Frederick. My 82 has a furnacein that location. The take-oof from the water tank is 90 degrees to yours, with the water pump sitting where you haveyour jack bases.

I notice that you have installed a water accumulater in your system. Is this a usual RV setup or did you purchase something special?

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool 4 part fresh water system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
I notice that you have installed a water accumulator in your system. Is this a usual RV setup or did you purchase something special?
It is a regular RV setup. I bought all of the parts of the system at Camping World.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
I was going to bring my 84 fiberstream to an RV dealer to have the water pump and water heater looked at- and I know they will probably charge me an arm and a leg for replacement. How do I know if they need replaced? And if so, if it's not so difficult, I believe my husband can do it. He did build our house, even the plumbing. I just thought I could save my self $100's if I just knew more about it.
thanks,
Cyndi
i always say,,the best tool in my tool box is my checkbook.
i know its easy to say and hard to do in this economy. but i bet you hubby would think your just awsome if you had them fixed it , and told him he deserves to have something done for him once in awhile.
even though i hate having someone else do something i could just as well have done. it's nice to know my wife wants to ease my burden once in awhile.

even if its cause she wants me to till the garden during that time...lol
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #7

Registry
With just a little whining, my love removed the water pump in about 5 min total and told me where to get a replacement downtown, 20 min away...- he'll put it in and test it tomorrow. <3
YAY!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #8

Registry
I had a bad feeling in my stomach about taking it to this RV dealer- they quoted me about $800 for parts, heater and water pump. I ended up taking it to a electrical supply company, their motto: We aim to work with you, not to discourage you.
The water pump was in working order, it just needed a switch installed on it. Total cost: $40.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
wow, i would let them know what it turned out to be.
if they don't show some sign of admiting they had made an error. and i bet they don't , show them a print out of this thread. and include the number of members here that will be exposed to it. see if that gets their attention. oh,,,and name names if you have to.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberstream