Accumulator tank? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #1

Name: Kevin (Ken)
Trailer: Bigfoot 17, 1988
Wisconsin
Accumulator tank?

Anyone use one of these? I'm wondering whether anyone thinks it is a worthy addition to the plumbing system. It makes sense to me, based on my experience with compressed air systems. I can't imagine trying to use an air compressor for anything except pumping up a tire without an accumulator tank.

Thanks.
pindraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #2

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pindraak View Post
Anyone use one of these? I'm wondering whether anyone thinks it is a worthy addition to the plumbing system. It makes sense to me, based on my experience with compressed air systems. I can't imagine trying to use an air compressor for anything except pumping up a tire without an accumulator tank.

Thanks.
does your plumbing system use compressed air?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
does your plumbing system use compressed air?
I am making an honest attempt to find some info here. If you have some personal issues that require you to post compulsively and deride others, please choose another thread.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I installed one on my last trailer. It allows you to run a slow trickle from the faucet without having the pump shake itself apart. Unlike my household tank, it was too small for storage or to maintain pressure for very long. Raz

Water Pump Accumulator Tank - PPL Motor Homes
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
I am making an honest attempt to find some info here. If you have some personal issues that require you to post compulsively and deride others, please choose another thread.
i am trying to find out if you have a pressurised system that runs on air. otherwise what sort of accumulator are you talking about?<_<
Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #6

Michigan
is that like a pressure tank on a well? where there is a bladder inside ?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi John. Yes, a much smaller version. See my previous post (#4) for a picture. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Accumulator

I installed a 2 gallon accumulator in our motorhome. It permitted you to use the bathroom at night without the pump running and reduces the number of times the pump turns on.

It worked well but I would probably not install another, even in the motorhome where their was plently of space. I installed mine under the bathroom sink in the coldwater line. It provided water thru out the trailer.

It does have an air bladder. As well they are very easy to install.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #9

Michigan
ok i see then, there is trapped air in the tank that maintains pressure. i have seen systems where an air chamber powers the water supply, but didn't think that system would fit in an rv, they are pretty bulky.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I made a small one out of a piece of PVC pipe for my UHaul, as it uses an on demand pump. As Raz says, it allows a trickle from the faucet.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
I don't mean to offend your sensitivitys but my first thought was does his system work on air pressure.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #12

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I don't mean to offend your sensitivitys but my first thought was does his system work on air pressure.
John
I see now. The way the reply was written, it looked like a drive-by insult. I was making an analogy between a small pump hydraulic system working with air to one using pressurized water. The reply seems to be ridiculing this analogy.

The accumulator does use an air bladder, but the point is whether you want some kind of buffer tank so that the pump doesn't have to come on every time you use a little water. I was thinking it would be nice for showers and dishwashing, with frequent on/off.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
I'm wondering whether anyone thinks it is a worthy addition to the plumbing system.
I think adding an accumulator tank was one of the best parts of modifying my water system.
I wound up replacing the pump and adding the accumulator, separate particulate filter, and flexible hoses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	45542 Click image for larger version

Name:	New.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	45543

When I 1st bought the Fiber Stream the original water pump sounded like a Semi's Jake Brake.
After repositioning the pump mount to allow the added components to fit in the now tight space, I cannot hear it operate at all.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #14

Wisconsin
Thanks. I am considering Whisper King. Is that a Shur flo or Flojet accumulator?