Advise about grey water tank on Lil Snoozy - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #41

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
LIL Snoozy

Suzie,

Sara and I live in Jackson Co. NC. We went Saturday to the Snoozy factory to look them over. My big concern is how can we use the refrigerator while on the road. I noticed some people have installed 12 volt refrigerators. How has the standard refrig worked for you? If any other Snoozy owners read this, feel free to chime in.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #42

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Suzie,

Sara and I live in Jackson Co. NC. We went Saturday to the Snoozy factory to look them over. My big concern is how can we use the refrigerator while on the road. I noticed some people have installed 12 volt refrigerators. How has the standard refrig worked for you? If any other Snoozy owners read this, feel free to chime in.
Probably what we do about the refrigeration issue would not be liked by most, but it has worked for us so far - admittedly, we have only used the Snoozy for relatively short trips. We have had our camper only a short time (got it in October 2013) and took 3 trips across the state. I had only a little bit of refrigerated stuff - like butter, milk, sandwich meat, and mayo. I froze several freezer packs and put them on the shelves with the food while moving. When we hooked up at night, I put them in the freezer compartment to refreeze for the next day. The refrigerator cooled quickly (since inside temp had stayed down due to the packs). The next day I put the packs down in the main compartment and off we went - essentially using it like a cooler. This has worked for us so far. Whether we have to do something else in the future - maybe, don't know yet. I did not want to do a bunch of cooking anyway, so did not need to cool much.
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #43

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Soooo tempted to jump in and defend Lil Snoozy. I'll just say that some of the things I just read are not accurate. It can be modified from all-electric to electric/propane/solar. There was a drain issue (I've heard), and the factory has modified the drain in its newer trailers to address the problem - not reinventing the wheel, just adapting it:-)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #44

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
An All Electric FGRV DOES NOT = Boon Docking, much less most Camping.....

I personally can't even imagine not having a gas refrigerator & cooktop in a trailer that is used on the road and in campgrounds, most of which won't have power hook-ups.

I think if you talk to them at Little Snoozy that they will prep your trailer for LP appliances that you can then get installed at a local source they have made arrangements with.

There is absolutely no proven risk in having LP in a trailer. It's only a Wild A$$ Guess, but I would bet that there are more injuries in campers from falling out the door than from LP issues. If I am wrong, maybe we need to eliminate doors!!!!!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
Soooo tempted to jump in and defend Lil Snoozy. I'll just say that some of the things I just read are not accurate. It can be modified from all-electric to electric/propane/solar. There was a drain issue (I've heard), and the factory has modified the drain in its newer trailers to address the problem - not reinventing the wheel, just adapting it:-)
That's about the 4th different reason/excuse for Little Snoozy building all electric trailers I have heard. And originally, Little Snoozy was selling all electric trailers based on an issue of safety....

And what part of an LP system needs a drain?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #46

Virginia
Don't think they need an excuse to build an all electric trailer. People do have different camping styles, after all.
The drain was for the gray water - the supposed topic of this thread.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #47

No Little Snoozy doesn't need an excuse to build whatever they want. But telling customers that there is a safety issue with an LP system is plain dishonest and they should be outed for any attempt to sell based on those scare tactics.

If they can't sell it on it's merits, they do not have the right to try to sell to newbies (or any others) based on false scare tactics.

Newbies can often be talked into anything when looking at a shiny new trailer.

FWIW: The original thread starter and last reply to it is almost 6 months old and wasn't about a problem anyway.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #48

Yes, a system like that will work, but then not only do you have to deal with annoying other campers and abiding by "No Generator" rules, you have to carry a spare can of gasoline with you and deal with refueling the generator, gas spills and fumes.

As it turns out, a Honda generator and mou8nting bracket are the first item on the options list. Second is a mount for the customers generator.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #49

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie B in NC View Post
Probably what we do about the refrigeration issue would not be liked by most, but it has worked for us so far - admittedly, we have only used the Snoozy for relatively short trips. We have had our camper only a short time (got it in October 2013) and took 3 trips across the state. I had only a little bit of refrigerated stuff - like butter, milk, sandwich meat, and mayo. I froze several freezer packs and put them on the shelves with the food while moving. When we hooked up at night, I put them in the freezer compartment to refreeze for the next day. The refrigerator cooled quickly (since inside temp had stayed down due to the packs). The next day I put the packs down in the main compartment and off we went - essentially using it like a cooler. This has worked for us so far. Whether we have to do something else in the future - maybe, don't know yet. I did not want to do a bunch of cooking anyway, so did not need to cool much.
This was the same method we used.
And we carried shots for our daughter
at the time that had to be refrigerated.
Wasn't a problem for us.

And we used a short garden hose for the grey water draining.
Worked okay. Only thing coming out other than water might
be soapy water...........
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #50

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I should not be commenting, since I have never seen a Lil Snoozy, other then in pictures. But that has never stopped me before.

The roof looks perfect for solar, so a 12 VDC fridge would work fine. Cooking and heating are another thing. With enough solar, a small microwave becomes possible. I am thinking over 300W of solar, with a large battery reserve.

Non boondocking: Since the AC is kinda small, I am not sure if you can get one that has heat in that size. If not a small ceramic cube is cheep and puts out lots of heat. For cooking, an electric hot plate would work. I like the induction units that Costco sells.

Boondocking: Propane catalytic heater, or even an old Coleman white gas catalytic heater could be used for cool, not cold temperatures. As well as a propane stove on a picnic table to cook. 1 lb bottles are a pain though. Don't forget the CO monitor.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #51

NE Oklahoma
Yep. Roof is perfect for solar.
Denny has shown us what to use and
how to use it on other threads.........

Even what and how to put in propane heat.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:17 PM   #52

Virginia
With solar on the roof, propane for heating and water heating, AC/microwave for shore power only, Snoozy should work well for boondocking - even without a generator. Does anyone use air conditioning while they're off grid (meaning generator powered AC)? I plan on northern climes in summer and the sunny south in winter, so don't plan to use the AC much at all.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #53

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151 - sold in 2018
Arizona
Registry
Charles and Sara, I use the refrigerator similar to the way Melanie does. First I get it good and cold by plugging it in the night before we leave. I may freeze some leftover spaghetti or chicken pie, etc. ahead of time at home. It thaws in the fridge and then I heat it up in the microwave. Often we bring a frozen container of Brunswick stew or a frozen pound of the famous Oak Ridge bar-b-que. I even freeze the butter and bacon before we leave home. I pack only the amount we will actually use of things like slaw and sandwich meat and cheese. I rely on ketchup, mustard, jelly, and creamer packets that need no refrigeration. There is one brand of powdered milk that I actually think tastes good, so that can be make up as needed. OJ can be frozen and so on. You just have to be aware of when all your supplies need to be used and use the most "fragile" things first. If you start out w/ frozen items scattered on your shelves, the fridge stays cold a pretty long time while on the road. Forty-three years of camping one way or another and I have never give anyone food poisoning yet to my knowledge. However, I would not argue if Snoozy came up with a fridge that operates while on the road.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #54

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Susie, we're having Lil Snoozy build ours with the same model Truck Fridge that McDenny installed in his Lil Snoozy, and having them install a 7 pin trailer connection (even though surge brakes) for the 12 volt charge wire.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #55

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Susie, we're having Lil Snoozy build ours with the same model Truck Fridge that McDenny installed in his Lil Snoozy, and having them install a 7 pin trailer connection (even though surge brakes) for the 12 volt charge wire.
Dave & Paula
great to hear, when did you order and expect delivery? What other options did you go with? I am still lurking but soon to order.
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #56

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flharleycop View Post
great to hear, when did you order and expect delivery? What other options did you go with? I am still lurking but soon to order.
We ordered last month, but knew we wouldn't be able to pick it up (2,000 miles away) until vacation time July 1st. Many mods planned and mentioned either here or on the Lil Snoozy site. McDenny has taken the bull by the horns and installed the Danfoss refrigerator (the factory is going to install for one for us), and the Propex furnace, and the flexible solar that I wanted to install, and will at a later date. I am having them install a MaxxAir fan on the roof above the shower, and they are also installing Hehr crank out style windows, and lowering the air conditioner, so I can install larger overhead cabinets. I also have a 2 burner flush mount cooktop with glass cover that I will be installing. I don't know exactly what or how I will be doing other mods to "make it our own" until we actually am able to see one and use it a while, but it will be an enjoyable project.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #57

NE Oklahoma
Hope you take lots of pictures of your version of
the Snoozy Dave. Looks like you have some good
ideas.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #58

Arizona
Registry
Thanks Carl, I will. You have no idea how many hours I have spent looking at all of your pictures and anyone else's I could find, and would think of ways to make it to our liking. I'm really sorry that you had to sell your Lil Snoozy. I hope you'll have another one or some other FGRV soon.
Dave & Paula
Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #59

Name: Keith
Trailer: Not yet
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
We ordered last month, but knew we wouldn't be able to pick it up (2,000 miles away) until vacation time July 1st. Many mods planned and mentioned either here or on the Lil Snoozy site. McDenny has taken the bull by the horns and installed the Danfoss refrigerator (the factory is going to install for one for us), and the Propex furnace, and the flexible solar that I wanted to install, and will at a later date. I am having them install a MaxxAir fan on the roof above the shower, and they are also installing Hehr crank out style windows, and lowering the air conditioner, so I can install larger overhead cabinets. I also have a 2 burner flush mount cooktop with glass cover that I will be installing. I don't know exactly what or how I will be doing other mods to "make it our own" until we actually am able to see one and use it a while, but it will be an enjoyable project.
Dave & Paula
WOW, sounds like you went all out.. Great ideas please post some pictures when you get it.
Flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #60

Name: Susie
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy #151 - sold in 2018
Arizona
Registry
Very interesting, Dave and Paula; take lots of pictures and show us the details when you can. We already have the 7 pin trailer connection because that is what our TV had.