Alternative water storage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #21

Name: Miriam
Trailer: Scamp
California
Registry
Any suggestions of how to plumb a drain hose to an external collapsable water jug? I found this item which is already plumbed but it is probably bigger than I need. It is also $50 and the one RogerDat suggested is $10 and collapses. Side note: one of the reviews for this product is a scamp owner.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts on this. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456548220.886973.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	92898Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1456548240.213594.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	92899

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Ruralredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have the portable 6 gallon waste container you show in your post. I use it when boon docking to drain off my grey tank as needed without having to move the trailer. Works well and not to heavy to pick up and load in the car to take away for proper disposal of grey water. You have the option of using the large slinky hose or a small garden hose attachment with it.

It is also a good option for those with no grey tanks for a couple of reasons. One some parks (often National parks and some provincial parks) here do not allow open grey water containers as they can/will attracted animals (not to mention flying insects). It fits nicely under the trailer and mostly out of sight when in use on most small trailers.

I know some folks who use the large buckets with lids and a hole in the lid for the drain BUT they have been told they can not use it in some parks as it is easy to knock over and the grey water can drain from the open hole in the top.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralredhead View Post
Any suggestions of how to plumb a drain hose to an external collapsable water jug?
The plumbing is pretty simple. Its how many of the old bolers as well as Scamps with no holding tanks are plumbed.

From under the sink you will need something like the Camco RV Flexible Camper Drain to the fitting on the outside of the trailer.
The fitting on the outside is what you would attach a short garden hose (often comes with the portable tank you have in the photo) to a water outlet drain fitting on the outside of the trailer. You can find them at most marine stores and your local RV shop may carry them as well. It has no check valve as a city water input fitting does and it will look like this:
Attached Images

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
I would suggest you take a look at the water system utilized by "Ian G" on our forum in his Boler. Quite ingenious and using the water cooler facilitates cleaning due to the large top opening. Admittedly the round container is not as space efficient as square containers. You could use the square containers for additional storage to refill the cooler. I worked for my uncle as a welding apprentice and our water storage was one of these coolers and I can guarantee they will stand up to an incredible amount of abuse. Lee
Here are full instructions on my solution, using an external water reservoir. I have now been using this system for 3+ years and have no intention of going back to any other system External Water Reservoir

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #25

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Ian,

Interesting water reservoir. One modification I would make to simplify the arrangement would be to install a "Y" splitter, with individual shut-offs to the inside of your city water inlet. You could then use the same water inlet for both city water and your reservoir - would just have to change the valve positions to direct the incoming water to either your city faucet or your hand pump. Would save you from having to add a second water inlet. Do you see any problem with that idea?

I'll be keeping this in mind.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Ian,

Interesting water reservoir. One modification I would make to simplify the arrangement would be to install a "Y" splitter, with individual shut-offs to the inside of your city water inlet. You could then use the same water inlet for both city water and your reservoir - would just have to change the valve positions to direct the incoming water to either your city faucet or your hand pump. Would save you from having to add a second water inlet. Do you see any problem with that idea?

I'll be keeping this in mind.
Actually you don’t need 2 inlets or the “y”. Use the single street water inlet with the water pump installed in that line between the inlet and the faucet. Connect the hose from the external reservoir to the water inlet on the trailer, turn on the pump and water drawn from the reservoir into the pump and is pressurized to the faucet. For connecting to street water just connect the hose to the same water inlet on the side of the trailer, water will flow through the pump to the faucet. Just make sure you use a water pressure regulator when connected to street water to prevent too much pressure in the pump.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The plumbing is pretty simple. Its how many of the old bolers as well as Scamps with no holding tanks are plumbed.

From under the sink you will need something like the Camco RV Flexible Camper Drain to the fitting on the outside of the trailer.
The fitting on the outside is what you would attach a short garden hose (often comes with the portable tank you have in the photo) to a water outlet drain fitting on the outside of the trailer. You can find them at most marine stores and your local RV shop may carry them as well. It has no check valve as a city water input fitting does and it will look like this:
The outside attachment shown by Carol is stock on my trailer. The inside has a hose barb so you slip drain hose on and put a hose clamp on it. The other end of the hose attaches to a drain trap at the drain made for RV's (otherwise you get smells from the tank back inside) The one I have looks like this. Robot Check

The plate nipple in the picture provided by Carol is threaded to take a standard garden hose, you can make one from a short hose (maybe a washing machine hookup or old garden hose) which can be attached between the outside of your camper and your gray water reservoir.

Good hardware store will be most useful for figuring out the best fixtures for the tank/jug attachment of the short hose going from outside wall fixture to tank. Will depend on what your tank or jug is like. The portable waste tanks will often have a fitting already for a hose.

Some parks require the grey water be in sealed container, using a bucket will tend to draw flies and other pests/critters. Small animals such as chipmunks will get in the "nice" smelling bucket and drown.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #28

Name: Miriam
Trailer: Scamp
California
Registry
Thank you for the detailed instructions. I need to chose my water jugs and get the rest of the parts and I will be well on my way. I'll post pictures when it is finished but fair warning I'm a slow mover so it might be a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Ruralredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #29

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I was thinking that a collapsible 3/4" or 5/8" hose would be great in this application. I have seen larger sizes, but not hose that small. I have one of those wrinkly hose that expands under pressure but since this is a no pressure to speak of app they might not work. It has peaked my curiosity now and I will have to look into it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #30

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I'm kinda minimalist with my Burro since it's just me in it. The OEM fridge is gone, so I use the space it used to occupy for storage including one of those 6 gallon water jugs from Wally World to feed my pump faucet sink. I do most of my cooking outside on a Camp Chef range and oven combo, so I keep 1 gallon jugs out by the stove for food prep. As for grey water, my sink drain feeds out through the side to a hose connector, so I run a short hose to the 5 gallon bucket sitting outside.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote