Black/grey water tank leak? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Scamper View Post
I did call Scamp earlier as soon as I noticed the leak and they did tell me to take it to a RV repair service, have the shop call them after they looked at it, to authorize the charges. My problem is that I need to have it fixed before going camping in 10 days and after calling 8 repair shops I can't get an appointment until mid september at best. This is their busiest season and the majority is all booked this whole summer.

Scamp advised to go to a professional and so it did not tell me what product to use or what the tank is made of, or send me a small amount of what they use, perhaps for liability or proprietary reasons. Upon close examination, my husband and I noticed that the reason for the leak is that Scamp missed glueing 1 1/2 in around the top of the discharge pipe and tank connection. For this reason the tank could only hold 1/2 of its capacity before starting to leak, making us take it to the dump station, but did not leak when it discharching direcly to a sewer hook up. Unfortunately for this camping trip we will not have sewer hook up, since it is a National Park.

Fortunately
You're going to a National Park where they have public potties, so you don't need to use the on-board potty.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #22

Name: Vee
Virginia
Grey Tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

Fortunately
You're going to a National Park where they have public potties, so you don't need to use the on-board potty.
Yep, we made sure that Plan B was to get a site next to the public potty if we couldn't fix the leak before our trip. They also have a utility sink we can use if we want to do dishes. The good thing is that at least our black water tank is fine if we need to get up in the middle of the night.
Happy Scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Scamp sells directly with no dealers and they are located in Minnesota, a 1000 miles trip for me. I ask them to help me . They advised me to find a place to fix it and they would take care of the bill. My problem is that where I live there are no RV dealers that can give me an appointment in less than a month. If I want to go on a trip next week I have to fix it myself and don't know what to use.
Call Scamp back and tell them the situation if you haven't already - perhaps they can make a call or two for you and get you in sooner locally.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #24

Virginia
Grey water tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Call Scamp back and tell them the situation if you haven't already - perhaps they can make a call or two for you and get you in sooner locally.
I wish they would. I did email Scamp twice . All they had to offer was to tell me to take it to a RV repair place and they will authorize the repair to be billed to them after talking to the shop about the repair, since it is still in the 1 year warranty. I think that is really not in the best interest of the repair shops to get me in sooner since they have nothing to gain from Scamp especially considering that they are always booked.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #25

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Yep, we made sure that Plan B was to get a site next to the public potty if we couldn't fix the leak before our trip. They also have a utility sink we can use if we want to do dishes. The good thing is that at least our black water tank is fine if we need to get up in the middle of the night.
Plan C, duct tape (or similiar). I am not kidding, I don't know the situation but if I could wrap tape around it and go then that is what I would do. Or, Plan D, a piece of rubber wrapped around and held with a couple of big hose clamps. Improvise, adapt, overcome, but don't let waste disposal issues keep you from camping.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #26

Virginia
Grey water tank leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Plan C, duct tape (or similiar). I am not kidding, I don't know the situation but if I could wrap tape around it and go then that is what I would do. Or, Plan D, a piece of rubber wrapped around and held with a couple of big hose clamps. Improvise, adapt, overcome, but don't let waste disposal issues keep you from camping.
I kind like your idea of improvising. The only problem is that the 1 1/2 inch gap on the connection where Scamp missed the sealant is on the top of the pipe and too close to the tank to overlap the seam. I also received other suggestions along the same lines, such as roofing tape called Eternabond that sticks to any type of surface, that one can get from Home Depot. I promise to keep a good sense of humor.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I wish they would. I did email Scamp twice . All they had to offer was to tell me to take it to a RV repair place and they will authorize the repair to be billed to them after talking to the shop about the repair, since it is still in the 1 year warranty. I think that is really not in the best interest of the repair shops to get me in sooner since they have nothing to gain from Scamp especially considering that they are always booked.
Scamp has never been good with returning emails fast so best to call the parts department and ask them what product they use. Probable something you can pick up anywhere.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Vee, is it possible to show us a pic ? It may give us a better idea for a quick temp fix.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #29

Virginia
Leaky Grey Water Tank Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Scamp has never been good with returning emails fast so best to call the parts department and ask them what product they use. Probable something you can pick up anywhere.
That's is a great idea. I did not know that they have a parts department that I could talk to. I first talked to the salesman who sold us the Scamp and he forwarded my email to one of the bosses. I did ask again for help at least with the name of the product and this time I got a response last week that it is ABS glue, which Ican be found in RV supply stores and Home Depot. It is a glue that plumbers actually use. Thanks for the tip on the parts department. Next time I will go straight to them.