Black tank drain - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #1

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Black tank drain

I am in the process of putting a original type toilet in the front of my Scmp 13. It seems to me that the black tank drain valve will be dangerously close to the ground. How close it the valve to the ground on a Factory install? Any thoughts? Thanks, Danny
Laughingindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The factory installed height on my 2004 Scamp13D is 11" to the bottom of the tube with the frame level. The new ones are commonly tucked under which gives a little more clearance but makes attaching the drain tube a bit difficult to attach and some buyers buy a 45 degree adapter to compensate.
Actually the graywater tank is more in harm's way since the angle of approach is usually mitigated by the hitch where the angle of departure is more often exposed when entering or leaving driveways.
I have installed a simple skid protector which has been struck a few times but has been effective for ten years+.
I installed it primarily to protect the shower water drain system. The blackwater drain is further back and thus more out of harm's way.
The picture was taken with the trailer in a considerable nose down position so the skid's clearance appears low.
Attached Thumbnails
sp5.JPG  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #3

Texas
I do not understand. Are you saying you have 11 inches from the ground to the bottom of the drain? I would love to see a pic of the toilet drain.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingindian View Post
I do not understand. Are you saying you have 11 inches from the ground to the bottom of the drain? I would love to see a pic of the toilet drain.
Yes, I went out and leveled the trailer tonight and measured from the floor of my shop to the bottom of the outlet as shown in the video below. The valve itself has just a little more clearance.
What year is your Scamp?
I don't have a file photo of the outlet and my Scamp is stored in a position which is not conducive to photography.
Here is a video from Scamp which shows how to drain the black water and has a view of the outlet...

Old 01-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #5

Texas
Thanks Floyd, my Scamp is 1980. I appreciate the video, but still would like to see the drain coming out of the black tank. I do not see how it can exit at the side of the trailer. i assume the drain valve is inboard of the frame rail directly under where the toilet sits. If the drain sits outboard of the frame that would change my problem! I assumed that the toilet should straddle the frame rail and the edge of the shower drop area for max support. If the toilet sits out closer to the edge of the trailer I could just use an elbow off of the drain hole and problem solved.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Floyd, my Scamp is 1980. I appreciate the video, but still would like to see the drain coming out of the black tank. I do not see how it can exit at the side of the trailer. i assume the drain valve is inboard of the frame rail directly under where the toilet sits. If the drain sits outboard of the frame that would change my problem! I assumed that the toilet should straddle the frame rail and the edge of the shower drop area for max support. If the toilet sits out closer to the edge of the trailer I could just use an elbow off of the drain hole and problem solved.
Your trailer sits lower than the newer versions having a 1200# leading arm axle. This presents some interesting limitations and some interesting options. I have sent you a PM with contact info.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Floyd, my Scamp is 1980. I appreciate the video, but still would like to see the drain coming out of the black tank..
See the photo in post #2 by Floyd. If you click on the photo and zoom in you can see the drain coming out of the underside of the trailer on the left side of the photo.

On my 92 side bath the drain basically comes directly out of the floor under the black tank. Mine has been redone at some point and at this point it is only as long as it needs to be to fit the dump valve to the piping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:46 PM   #8

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
The idea of a skid protector is a good one....an upgrade we all might consider!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp