Black tank leak - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Black tank leak

I'm sorry I don't know the proper terms for things. Please bear with me. In my '98 Casita Spirit I empty my black/gray tanks by first unscrewing a cap on the pipe, then attaching the hose, then rotating the pipe downward, then pulling the handle to let the blank tank empty, then the gray, etc. A portion of the waste in the black tank is leaking down into the black pipe, so when I take off the cap, a cup or two of waste spills out before I can get the hose attached. Would the term be "black tank valve is leaking?" I've had the trailer ten years and have never had a problem until the last few trips. Can someone give some detailed help? We leave on our next trip in a month. Thanks!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Sounds like it's time to replace the slide gate Lisa. It's a standard item at RV supply shops. Pretty easy to replace as there are only four bolts & nuts to get it out.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:01 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Sounds like the valve is just worn out. Flush out the tank well and have it replaced, or do it yourself.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
It could be that some debris is blocking the valve from completely closing but I agree with the others that replacement is (by far) most likely what is needed. These videos might help.

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #5

leak

You guys are AWESOME! I take it a slide gate and a valve are one and the same? The videos are such a help! Saved by FGRV forums again! Thank you!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
You guys are AWESOME! I take it a slide gate and a valve are one and the same? The videos are such a help! Saved by FGRV forums again! Thank you!
I believe the correct term would be GATE VALVE. Its a valve designed as a sliding gate, much like the gate on your fence at home, except this one slides instead of swings, and is usually water tight.

On a somewhat related note, on my Scamp which is now all of 18 months old, the tabs on the sewer pipe cap turned to powder and broke off. Ordered replacements on Amazon but they want me to "go Prime" so they didn't ship the Prime Eligible items for ten days. Now I have to hit the road with the old cap held in place with bailing wire. Good to have the cap however in case I develop a leak, although for travel my tank will be empty.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Lisa
It is best not to rotate the drain outlet on your Casita. Even Valterra has recommended not to do it. The outlet is not designed to be rotated after the gate valve is torqued down. It's best just to leave the outlet in the slightly pointed down position. When you rotate the outlet you are putting a twisting force on the gate valve seals. Rotating your outlet can actually lead to the gate valve seal failure. Once you replace the gate valve and seals you can see what is going on with the seals.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #8

Gordon, I'm sorry you are having such bad luck with Amazon. Personally, I love my Amazon Prime. We live in a rural area where I would have to drive a distance to many kinds of stores. The RV dealer is about 45 minutes away, and they burned me last winter, so I'm not using them again! I will have to try to get the part off Amazon. There are a number of options, so if anyone knows the correct one on Amazon, I'd appreciate the help.

Eddie,
Did not know that rotating the sewage pipe is not a good idea. I think I was told when I bought it to leave it up for traveling and pull down to dump. Who knows after all this time. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Lisa
It is best not to rotate the drain outlet on your Casita. Even Valterra has recommended not to do it. The outlet is not designed to be rotated after the gate valve is torqued down. It's best just to leave the outlet in the slightly pointed down position. When you rotate the outlet you are putting a twisting force on the gate valve seals. Rotating your outlet can actually lead to the gate valve seal failure. Once you replace the gate valve and seals you can see what is going on with the seals.
Eddie
I was told the same thing by Larry at LHC . Tilt the drain tee to a
downward position and leave it there , it is not designed to be rotated . I bought a spare Valtera 3" slide / gate valve at the local RV shop last week for $12. Amazon is OK but I would rather spend my money with a local business.
I have taken my tank valves out several times to clean them and put lubricant on the rubber seals . Not that hard of a job.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Lisa
Eddie
Casita recommends you rotate the valve because it is suppose to be pointed upward when traveling and downward for dumping. It does not seem to hurt the gate valve since it really doesn't move. There are 2 gate valves on a Casita. One for black and one for gray water. If left down while traveling it is to close to the road and if left slightly up then it doesn't dump good. We've owned 2 Casita's and have always rotated the valves without a problem. The valves are not affected by the rotating because all that turns is the Y that the 2 drains go in to. The valves are further up from what is rotated. I would replace the gate valve on the black side and continue doing what you've always done. If you got 18 years out of a gate valve you are probably very lucky. There could be gunk in it also. Empty and flush the tanks real good. Then wearing disposable gloves reach up into the pipe to the gate valve and check for gunk. I've had to do this in my toilet to make that seal work. Things happen.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #11
ABK

Name: AB
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Per reply from Jann Todd in post #10:the gate valves are designed to be rotated up for travel and down for dumping. If I'm not mistaken, Camco has a gate valve lubricant which is added to the black and gray water tanks.
I just recently changed out both of my valves and it is not a bad project as long as the tanks are properly flushed out. I used a 5gal bucket to catch the last few drips when cleaning then disposed of any in my toilet in my basement.
It is also possible to repair the existing valves with new rubber seals which come in a small kit also from Amazon or your local RV dealer.
ABK is offline   Reply With Quote