broken selector knob on refrigerator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: casita
Missouri
broken selector knob on refrigerator

Does anyone have a source for the plastic selector knobs on a dometic rm2453 refrigerator?
mike mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #2

Name: james
California
Ours broke at the beginning of a 3 week trip. I freaked out, called Dometic and tried to get them to 'overnight' one to me. Didn't happen. I used a pair of pliers for the duration of the trip and found the knob at my local RV store when I got home. If you can't find one have the store order it as these things aren't usually in stock.
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That's a readily available Dometic Part.

If you still have the installation manual you can look there for the part number, if not the manual is available on-line.

There are a number of large RV dealers that will let you order parts on-line as well. You won't even have to get up and it will be at your door in a couple of daze..... lol

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #4

Missouri
I have the manual and the part #. I called dometic and they couldn't find it. I have looked online and found nothing. This is a 15 year old refrigerator. Does anyone have a source for old appliances?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If it were me I would find an appliance knob that fits. Measure the shaft. A 1/4" with a flat on one side is common. Something off an old stove or TV will do for the time being. Free at a recycling center? It beats using pliers. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:50 AM   #6

Missouri
The problem is that the plastic shaft of the knob is about 1.5" to 2" long. Most appliance knobs are short. I still have to retrieve the rest of the broken part off the shaft. I may be able to epoxy and band it and make it work. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do I hear "3D PRINTER" for this case???
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike mo View Post
The problem is that the plastic shaft of the knob is about 1.5" to 2" long. Most appliance knobs are short. I still have to retrieve the rest of the broken part off the shaft. I may be able to epoxy and band it and make it work. Thanks for the advice.
Sounds like a hassle. Probably have to pull the fridge to get the old knob off. Some hardware stores carry shaft couplers in the hardware bins that are common these days. Perhaps one of those and some rod or a long bolt. Nothings ever easy is it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #9

Missouri
I'm hoping I can get the remains off without pulling the frig but I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks for the shaft coupler tip.

Tags
refrigerator