Camco Hot Water Hybrid Heat - Have you done this? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I ran into the same thing on shipping so I made sure I ordered extras (no extra charge on shipping) along with some regular plugs (use them during the off-season because my HR anode stays in a toolbox when not in use and when I'm using propane). Believe it or not, keeping the unit out, is an unintentional built-in "failsafe" mode! IF the electric wh gets turned on inadvertently, no harm done. The HR is a simple circuit of "Continuity" with the unit basically acting as a "resistor". So if it's not plugged in, nothing happens. Note though, my light will still burn because it's wired onto the thermostat. But then that's another failsafe, if the light is burning turn it OFF before plugging the anode in! Kinda neat/fun stuff to me.

Now, for clarity, I dont use a light on the "propane" side. As I state in my album of pics, I use a "breaker" for my HotRod. I completely removed my propane so now I'm all electric.

So, back to your setup, in order to switch the lights from the HottRod to Propane, you will need a little different setup on the switch/lights than mine. You will need to go to a DPDT (Double-pole/Double-Throw switch). It would need to be rated at a MIN. 15A for 120v AC. This would be for the side to carry the HR and power your panel light. When you flip off the HR, it automatically will light up on the Propane side...and the water heater HR unit will be off.

For what it's worth, you CAN leave the HR in while you use propane. (Shhh, dont tell anyone, but one time I used both when I temporarily installed my propane when I was staying off the grid and using a generator .) The water heated REAL quick then I shut off the gas and went to my HR with the generator. (DONT do this with a 3-way fridge!)
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #22

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I have a question Norm if you wouldn't mind answering for me. We just finished installing the camco hybrid heat electric element to my hot water tank. I've never used the hot water tank before, only to fire it up once. Let's say I go camping now, use the hot water tank and am ready to go home. Do I just run the shurflo pump at the hot water faucet till the water is mostly drained from the hot water tank, or do I have to unscrew that heating element every time and drain the hot water tank completely? That would be a pain. I'm hoping that the only time I'd have to take that element out is when I winterize or just to clean the tank.

Also before winter when I take element out to drain tank, can the element go back inside tank for winter storage? I would have no water or antifreeze in tank as bypass would be closed at that point.

Reason I'm asking is I don't have a crows foot wrench yet to take off the brass but that goes into the tank uand we'd like to test our install tonight. But if you have to drain the water tank after every time you use it (as opposed to just running the water level dry in the tank with the pump), then this us already annoying before I've even used it!

Cheers and hope you have time to write tonight,

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #23

If you hadnt exclusively asked for "Norm", there's others on this forum that has the answers you're looking for.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #24

New York
Registry
My apologies Darral, as if this offended you it was innocent, but I'm still sorry. I just saw that norm jumped in the conversation and since I have received his help before I wrote the post to him. Guess I should have pm him instead. However, Since you brought this up I will also state for the record that I would never intentionally isolate others, nor exclude. Since I am sure that's how it must have appeared to you, again I'm sorry...just not who I am.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #25

No no...no offense. As an open forum post, it's generally a question that's asked to everyone even though sometimes, you might get more answers than you can sort. But with that said, a PM would be more prudent if you'd rather a certain single person in an open topic provide the answer to a question you would have.

I will provide this answer though... you cannot drain your water heater with the water pump. It stops pumping once the fresh water tank is empty. You may could pump air through it at the "city water" inlet. I've never tried it. My preference is to remove the HottRod and drain it. You can actually leave the "bushing" in place if you prefer. Since I drain my tank with the HottRod removed, I leave it out in the winter and use the standard ole nylon plug. I dont leave the hole open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
My apologies Darral, as if this offended you it was innocent, but I'm still sorry. I just saw that norm jumped in the conversation and since I have received his help before I wrote the post to him. Guess I should have pm him instead. However, Since you brought this up I will also state for the record that I would never intentionally isolate others, nor exclude. Since I am sure that's how it must have appeared to you, again I'm sorry...just not who I am.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Oops.

[QUOTE=CampyTime;519750]I have a question Norm if you wouldn't mind answering for me. We just finished installing the camco hybrid heat electric element to my hot water tank. I've never used the hot water tank before, only to fire it up once. Let's say I go camping now, use the hot water tank and am ready to go home. Do I just run the shurflo pump at the hot water faucet till the water is mostly drained from the hot water tank, or do I have to unscrew that heating element every time and drain the hot water tank completely? That would be a pain. I'm hoping that the only time I'd have to take that element out is when I winterize or just to clean the tank.

Also before winter when I take element out to drain tank, can the element go back inside tank for winter storage? I would have no water or antifreeze in tank as bypass would be closed at that point.

Reason I'm asking is I don't have a crows foot wrench yet to take off the brass but that goes into the tank uand we'd like to test our install tonight. But if you have to drain the water tank after every time you use it (as opposed to just running the water level dry in the tank with the pump), then this us already annoying before I've even used it!

Wendy,

I did not see your request for information.

1. How do I empty the tank after camping?
I have never emptied mine. When we return from a trip we leave it full.

Emptying the tank can be dangerous. If there is no water in the tank and the electric heating element is turned on, it will burn out. Never turn the heating element on without water in the tank.

We had our trailer in storage this year for 6 months with a full hot water tank. Actually in four years we haven't emptied it.

2. Can the pump be used to empty the hot water tank?
No, it only empties the fresh water tank.

To drain the tank you will need to remove the plug/heating element. I would only do it when winterizing. Personally I never clean my hot water tank other than indirectly when I 'bleach' the fresh water tank once a year.

Hope I got it all.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #27

New York
Registry
Thank you to all. After reading your posts, I see what I did wrong was think my hot water tank could be drained by the pump. Uh uh. I filled the tank with the city water connect. Duh. After this, it's in my head now. I think.

Anyway, I won't worry bout the wTer in the hot water tank that remains till I winterize again. At any rate, please know the unit worked great and I had hot water by evenings end.

Cheers!