cassette toilet fix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 10:15 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
cassette toilet fix

We have a lil snoozy with a thetford cs200 toilet it leaks fresh water cannot take a shower or use bathroom water goes everwhere what have others done .i read that a service rep can fix in 5 minutes we live in florida it seems most service reps leave for the summer or charge way to much ?
Can teh toilet be pulled from the wall and serviced or ?? we have those petco pipes (spelling) do you need a special tool to fix piping ?? Plz help thanks JIM
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Where exactly is the leak? Is it in the cassette unit or the incoming plumbing? And yes, you need a special tool to fix those "Petco" (aka PEX) pipes, but they are readily available, along with new rings and fittings at most big box hardware stores.

Is summer early down in FL this year, seems it's about 6 weeks away here in CA.

BTW: Anything less than $75/hr is a good rate for an RV tech. If you look in your local Craigs List you may find a mobile RV mechanic that will come to you.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I also had a leak in the toilet line on my Snoozy. It was at the connection where the pex met the flexible hose that goes to the toilet. I cut off a short section of line, replaced the hose clamp and have had no other leaks. But while I was doing that repair I also installed a shark bite shut off valve in the pex line right before the toilet hose connection. That way if the line ever fails again I can turn off the water to the toilet and still have water to the shower and sink. And you can "flush" the toilet with water from the shower.

Here is the link to the shark bite valve,

SharkBite 22222-0000LF Ball Valve 1/2" - Lead Free SharkBitePlumbing.com

I purchased the valve locally and it was almost half the price listed at this website.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #4

There are also a "Barbed" type of fittings for PEX, that include a threaded locking collar for assembly, that don't require any special tools. Expensive for a lot, but for simple repairs, not to bad,

Old 05-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #5

Florida
Registry
So I can get those barbed fittings from Home depot or Lowes ?? JIM W where do I go to fix leak do I take the cassette toilet off the wall inside bathroom or outside where we pull out green cassette ? The Leak sounds like what you and others have had Do I cut pex pipe with special scissors or tool can I use just a S/S hose clamp ?? if it is outside are the pipes right there ?? It seems the leak is in the cassette toilet Jim /jennykatz
Old 05-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #6

Florida
Registry
I was quoted by a tech rep that it would take 1 1/2 hours and his charge was $ 145 hr ouch for a simple repair . I kinda of think I should learn how to do this because those pex pipes dont look to sturdy . As soon as i find out if I need to pull toilet from wall or if I do it outside ???
Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
I did print up the installation guide that was a waste of good paper
Old 05-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #8

Florida
Registry
cassette toilet

Plz we are trying to leave by next weekend. I hope someone chimes in with answer if I have to pull cassette from wall ? RV guys are booked and to expensive
I will buy the shark bite ball turnoff part this week
Old 05-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jim, you haven't answered the question of just where it is leaking. That alone will make any answers you get different as we can all throw out suggestions to you that may or may not be of any use to you. I've never had a unit like you have so I have no info on what may be leaking. But have had many times over the years of RVing and off roading that have had to come up with what we call a get it home fix. Like someone else mentioned, you can cut and crimp off the supply line to it and still use it and do your trip fix it correctly afterwards since your getting close to your leave time. Not a fix, just a thought so you can use the trailer but do get back with a leak location.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
If you are able to shut off the water to just the toilet we have found squeeze bottles very good for flushing. A dish soap bottle, drink bottle, etc. My favorite is a little yellow lemon juice bottle found in frozen food section. That top seems to provide a stronger surge of flush water. Glad I just have a simple porta potty.

Have a good trip, Hope you find a solution.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I was quoted by a tech rep that it would take 1 1/2 hours and his charge was $ 145 hr ouch for a simple repair . I kinda of think I should learn how to do this because those pex pipes dont look to sturdy . As soon as i find out if I need to pull toilet from wall or if I do it outside ???
Did you look for a mobile RV repair tech. Their rates are always lower because they aren't paying the overhead expenses of a dealership etc.

PEX, properly installed and crimped is basically, forever, not to worry about it any more than any other plumbing systems used in RV's.

I haven't seen the barbed fittings at the big box stores, my local RV store has them though. They are called "Flare-It" fittings and this will take you to a pic of a typical example and you can see how it works. The link works, but wait for the second screen to appear.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pex+...%3B2048%3B1536

If not, Google "Flare It Fittings"

Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #12

Florida
Registry
toilet

The leak seems to be coming from inside toilet when i turn on water pump water comes and fills where the green cassette pull out goes in I can't seem to see where it is so I thought about pulling off wall Am I missing somthing . Other snoozy owners have had same problem with their cassette toilets its a good idea but maybe not for small trailers maybe a good old fashion porta potti .
The cassette toilet and the all fiberglass floor and rear entry was what sold me on LIL snoozy
Old 05-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Pictures,

Valve closed and open. From the angle of the photo it might not look like it but the valve is above the cassette and does not interfere with removing it.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
The leak seems to be coming from inside toilet when i turn on water pump water comes and fills where the green cassette pull out goes in I can't seem to see where it is so I thought about pulling off wall Am I missing somthing . Other snoozy owners have had same problem with their cassette toilets its a good idea but maybe not for small trailers maybe a good old fashion porta potti .
The cassette toilet and the all fiberglass floor and rear entry was what sold me on LIL snoozy
Actually the biggest user of Cassette toilets are in just-as-small Pop-Up tent trailers. I looked on my pop-up group and only found a few comments about cassette toilet problems. It sounds like the peeps there think that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Do let us all know when you find the actual source of the leak.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
widmannfla@aol.com at May 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Plz let me know how you pulled cassette toilet off the wall
best not to i replaced the lite blue water hose with a heavy duty fuel hose , the blue one keeps blowing out . it has happened 4 times scene I replaced the hose it has been fine I think Therford uses to light weight of a hose it blisters with very little water pressure just poor design . the hose I now have rated at 75 lbs. very easy to install .
Old 05-12-2014, 04:55 AM   #16

Florida
Registry
toilet

How did you or whoever did it fix the problem when i pull the cassette out of rear door outside i see water coming down also fiberglass shower floor gets wet all the tubes /pipes seem ok but it's somewhere up in toilet
so when they did yours did you have to pull toilet off the wall or does toilet pull apart ?? what a poor design there has been a least 4 snoozy's that I know of that this has happened to. Doing more research a lot more from other mfg.

Are you still selling your snoozy?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #17

Registry
no im not selling it i think i have worked all the factory bugs and mishaps out of it . now on to the cassette first pull the tank , make sure no water is hooked up or turned on, then above where the tank was is the flush mechanism there are about 5 or so screws to remove then you can get to the upside of where the blue hose connects take the clamp loose on each end of the blue hose ,go get a fuel line of the same length or a tad 1 inch longer but heavy duty, 2 heavy duty new stainless steel clamps the old clamps are crap , replace hose, clamps ,flush mechanism ,and screws . you should be good to go . the cutoff valve looks to be a good idea . I am in the process of writing a page on the lil snoozy bugs and fixes that I have preformed , what successes that have. And what I think about it with photos. It will be on lil snoozy owners page in a few weeks I hope .
Old 05-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #18

Florida
Registry
toilet fixed I think

I took apart the thetford cs 200 toilet .
tools needed
1-mirror 2-philleps skrewdriver and skrew gun
3 box cutter utility knife
4-patience
take out cassette toilet (green) then use mirror to see the 10 skrews and 5 pieces of plastic holding swinging toilet.Then pull toilet up and replace blue hose . then take out blue hose replace with a grey fuel line hose same diameter and use s/s fittings put it back together and done . I hope this works better then blue one
Old 05-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #19

Registry
That should do it , mine has not been any trouble now that the hose and clamps were changed .
Old 05-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #20

Florida
Registry
toilet

Bama I'm going to put a turn off valve in also( sharkbite ) into the pex pipe on top just like JIM W did . That should do it .

Bama are you going to the egg fest on Hudson in Aug?