Close Call with Hot Water Tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Close Call with Hot Water Tank

Sanitized the water system last spring but didn't flush it out and let it set until today. Decided to flush it out and santize it again since I don't see being able to use it anytime soon. Started by pulling out the anode rod. It is not easy to get to back behind the burner tube and was pretty tight. Ended up standing up to put leverage on the rachet and when it came loose, it shot out like a cannon. I failed to release the pop off valve. Measured it off at 12' and putting a dent in the fence. So glad I was not still stooping down in front of it. The system still had pressure in the lines from last spring. Lesson learned.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Oh my! I had no idea they could hold the pressure so long.
Glad you are okay and I appreciate your post about this.
I will be careful to release that pop off valve first.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #3

Texas
Or you can just drain off the pressure by opening a faucet. I didn't have power connected to the trailer and tried to take a short cut. Like you, I didn't expect it to retain the pressure for 6 months.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
Oh my! I had no idea they could hold the pressure so long...

If they didn't, it would mean you had a leak.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #5

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Or you can just drain off the pressure by opening a faucet. I didn't have power connected to the trailer and tried to take a short cut. Like you, I didn't expect it to retain the pressure for 6 months.

Do you open hot water faucet to release pressure with pump on or off?
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Hot Water tank

Pump off or you just defeated the purpose of bleeding off pressure.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Sanitized the water system last spring but didn't flush it out and let it set until today. Decided to flush it out and santize it again since I don't see being able to use it anytime soon. Started by pulling out the anode rod. It is not easy to get to back behind the burner tube and was pretty tight. Ended up standing up to put leverage on the rachet and when it came loose, it shot out like a cannon. I failed to release the pop off valve. Measured it off at 12' and putting a dent in the fence. So glad I was not still stooping down in front of it. The system still had pressure in the lines from last spring. Lesson learned.
ALWAYS relieve the pressure after shutting off the pump, and/or disconnecting from City water. Just open the taps at the sink.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #8

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
Hot Water Tank

Wayne, do you leave the taps open until you hook up to city water again? I'm a super duper newbie, and learning heaps from you folks.

Many thanks.
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria in MD View Post
Wayne, do you leave the taps open until you hook up to city water again? I'm a super duper newbie, and learning heaps from you folks.
Once you relieve the pressure it does not make much difference if the faucets are left open or closed. But a quick comment about using the city water connection.... First.. be sure to use a pressure regulator. Second, even with the regulator, leaks sometimes happen. I would always shut off the water at the source when leaving the site, and probably for the overnight also. Third, if you fill the onboard tank and use that instead, then you can better judge how much water you have used, and in turn how full your waste tanks are. Fourth, just because its a "city water" supply, don't automatically assume its clean and safe. Use a filter and look for any notices regarding water quality posted by the campground.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #10

Maryland
"First.. be sure to use a pressure regulator. Second, even with the regulator, leaks sometimes happen. I would always shut off the water at the source when leaving the site, and probably for the overnight also. Third, if you fill the onboard tank and use that instead, then you can better judge how much water you have used, and in turn how full your waste tanks are. Fourth, just because its a "city water" supply, don't automatically assume its clean and safe. Use a filter and look for any notices regarding water quality posted by the campground."

gordon2 thank you. Please bear with me on some of these follow-up questions. I have a surge protector for electric, and I do have a regulator but it didn't occur to me to shut off the water at the source while away and overnight. Q: can the toilet be flushed with the water shut off?
Q: ref #3: by filling and using the onboard tank, do I need to do anything with a switch AND the pump? If needing to use the pump, is it just turned on to turn on the water to the sink (& toilet?) then turn it off after immediate use?
I did buy a water filter. Thanks for the tip to check water quality posted at the campground.
Looking forward to learning more from you . Thank you.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
...but it didn't occur to me to shut off the water at the source while away and overnight. To be fair that is only my opinion, based on experience.

Q: can the toilet be flushed with the water shut off? No, but you can use a jug of water... just pour some water in the bowl and around the under the rim. That also works well when the rest of the plumbing is winterized or when you want to reuse gray water to save water.

Q: ref #3: by filling and using the onboard tank, do I need to do anything with a switch AND the pump? If needing to use the pump, is it just turned on to turn on the water to the sink (& toilet?) then turn it off after immediate use? Yes, that is the way it works for me. Some people leave the pump switch on.. I dont but if its all working as it should you can.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #12

Maryland
Hot water tank thread

gordon2. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Great information to have. I'm going to print and tape to the pump switch because I know me, when it comes time to do, I'll have forgotten by then .
Great idea about pouring water into the toilet bowl and the use of grey water too.
And a huge PLUS for the use of color ink in your reply. That's what I need.
Thank you. I will gladly listen to any tips on anything else that might occur to you that a super newbie might be needing .
Old 08-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

Many thanks.
Not if we are traveling between campsites. We have a cover on the sink, and don't want water dripping on it. But they can be left open during storage and the system is drained.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #14

Texas
As for leaving the faucets open, I learned the hard way and didn't realize the water faucet outlet was left on and turned away from the sink. Did the routine set up on arrival, connecting the city water, electric, etc. Then noticed water running out the door. When I connected the water, the open faucet ran water everywhere except into the sink.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #15

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Ouch demad. Glad you werent hurt. As you say, lesson learned.
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #16

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
For normal use, I use the fresh water tank and the pump. I do leave the pump on if I am using it frequently, such as cooking, but otherwise its on to use it and off when done. Always off before going to bed, and at night I just turn it on to flush and then back off.

I have only use city water once and kept it turned off at night and when I was gone. I do not bother with it any more, except to fill the tank.

You don't want to wake up in the middle of the night and put your feet on the floor only to discover the place is flooded, and floor ruined, and trailer possibly totaled by insurance.

Charles
Old 05-02-2021, 11:37 PM   #17

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Once you relieve the pressure it does not make much difference if the faucets are left open or closed. But a quick comment about using the city water connection.... First.. be sure to use a pressure regulator. Second, even with the regulator, leaks sometimes happen. I would always shut off the water at the source when leaving the site, and probably for the overnight also. Third, if you fill the onboard tank and use that instead, then you can better judge how much water you have used, and in turn how full your waste tanks are. Fourth, just because its a "city water" supply, don't automatically assume its clean and safe. Use a filter and look for any notices regarding water quality posted by the campground.
No LIKE button here, but Gordon basically said it all. Fill your tank, use from your tank with the pump, turn the pump off when you are not using it. Same with water heater, turn it on, both gas and elect if needed for fast heating, and when done, turn it off. With city water bad things can happen, fittings separate, or break, faucets dribble and over fill the gray tank and flood you out, lots of things can and do happen.

If you learn how to take a minimal "navy" shower and regulate your water use you will be a better boondocker. Not going where there are no connections you say? think again, lots of nice places to visit that have no power, no water. In fact, some of the best places I have been were without any hookups. Spent the night with a bunch of other RV's on a former school ground at Alliance Nebraska to watch the eclipse the next day. No hookups, but lots of good conversation around the group and got to see the eclipse. I go to Mt Pisgah campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway, they have a few scattered faucets and do have restrooms and showers, but no site hookups. Great place to base out of to drive the lower end of the parkway and lots of hiking trails too.

Charles
Old 05-02-2021, 11:48 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If a campground has full hookups, it's probably a place I don't want to be.
If I need full hookups, I stay home.

Cable TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime included ( after all, I'm already paying for it ).
Old 05-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #19

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If a campground has full hookups, it's probably a place I don't want to be.
If I need full hookups, I stay home.

Cable TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime included ( after all, I'm already paying for it ).
Never had full hookups but would be nice.

We live in Canada we drain system completely then pull out anodized plug rod, turn hot water tank bypass valves and run anti freeze through all lines sink, shower, toilet, with bypass on then drain it all again. Then blow air pressure through hose hookup add some new anti freeze to toilet, shower and sink drains. We also make sure fresh water tank is empty. The -55c non toxic anti freeze is a hot seller every fall lol
Old 05-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #20

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We used to say you have not lived until you have camped in a tent with 2 small children in winter with weeks of -48 c daytime highs.