Complete RePlumbing Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Complete RePlumbing Questions

The next big project to tackle on my '79 Scamp16 is the plumbing. I have the fresh water tanks (20 gallons), water pump, toilet (mostly installed), and kitchen faucet (mostly installed). No shower, no water heater and no bathroom sink.

I may not set up for a "city water" connection in the plumbing sytem. I really see no use for it. We rarely have water hookups, but when we do we still dont have septic hookup. I still will want to conserve water to keep the toilet (9-10 gallon) and grey water tank (26 G) from filling up. If I am heading to a full hook up facility (once per year) I'll just simply fill up my 20 G tank when I get there.

I know the proper order/arrangement in which to hook them altogether. the biggest unkown for me is the fittings. I plan on using 1/2" PEX line with Sharkbite fittings.

Some the info below is really me thinking out loud and just trying to sort this all out on paper. I could figure it out all on my own--- but I'd prefer not to spend so much time doing so when many of you already have this knowledge to share.
----------------------------------
Here are the questions I can think of right now.

What type of flexible tubing (to reduce pump noise) should I use to connect the water tank to the pump?

what kind of fitting do I use to connect that flexible tubing to the threaded inlet on the water pump?

I assume I could/should use the same flexible tubing for the fresh tank drain line and vent line, same for the grey water vent, correct?

What fitting do I use to connect the 1/2" PEX to the outside threaded toilet inlet?

I plan on just using a sharkbite press in fitting for the "T" to split the line after the pump that will lead to both the sink and toilet--unless I need to buy a crimp ring tool for some other fittings anyways. Id like to get away with NOT buying a 50-$100 CLAMP tool, but I am not sure if they make the tool-less press-in fittings for all the connections I need. Do you know?

If I understand it correctly the Sealand Toilet has a built in check valve so I dont need to add one there.Correct?

--------------

Thx for taking the time to help.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
They do make pex to male/female threaded fittings........rent a crimper from local hardware store (Ace) When I redid mine I just used the OEM plastic line and barbed fittings, On my water pump I tried to isolate the noise by fastening it with a foam pad underneath helped a little but not much
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
It helps to make the lines to the water pump extra long and coil them one loop to isolate the pump structurally.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Today I did some of what you're going to do. The water tank is hooked up to the pump with a flexible line, so nothing changed there. I mounted the pump on rubber isolation gromets. The exit line is pex. I didn't think the potential noise reduction would be worth inserting a flex line.

I installed a tee with flex line to a day tank/accumulator. For it I used reinforced vinyl hose, same as the supply line to the pump. To insert the line I used a SharkBite tee. To fit the vinyl hose to the SharkBite I used a conventional hose barb soldered to a piece of copper tube which fits into the SharkBite. There's undoubtably a ready made fitting but I had hose barbs and tube so that's the way I went.

Just ran the pump. Seems like it makes less noise.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
24-03-2013 5-13-22 PM  03_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
What type of flexible tubing (to reduce pump noise) should I use to connect the water tank to the pump?
I use the reinforced clear hose available commonly at building supply stores. Jared just put a bunch in his Scamp 19', shown in New to campers 19' scamp "fifth wheel" - post #314.

The connection from the pump outlet to the rest of the plumbing is an even more important place to use the hose for noise reduction.

Quote:
what kind of fitting do I use to connect that flexible tubing to the threaded inlet on the water pump?
Shurflo sells fittings that fit onto their threaded inlet and outlet ports in various forms, including hose barbs... and you want to put that flexible hose onto hose barbs, with a gear-type hose clamp. I have found those fittings are RV parts stores.

Quote:
I assume I could/should use the same flexible tubing for the fresh tank drain line and vent line, same for the grey water vent, correct?
The hose could be used anywhere in the fresh water system you need flexibility, or just want to be able to make connections with barbs and hose clamps, but if you don't need flexibility I don't know of any reason you should use it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote