compost toilet for 17' Casita - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 AM   #41

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I boondock almost exclusively, and the porta-potty works fine out in the woods. I find that I rarely go more than a few days without leaving camp in the car for one reason or another, and take the bottom tank with me to empty when needed. Places to do so are never hard to find. I prefer hauling the portable tank to having to haul a black tank (whole trailer), which depending on tank configuration/use might require emptying on a similar schedule. I should add that I do stretch capacity when in very remote areas by way of using the simple go-in-a-hole potty method that served during my tent camping days. I carry a folding toilet seat for that purpose and backfill/tamp scat holes, of course.
I seriously considered composting toilets and incinerator toilets and research the subject extensively. Incinerator toilets require too much maintenance and composting toilets can work but can be fussy ( cold weather use) and might need tweaking. (Fans for positive ventilation and odor control and automatic mixers).

My conclusion was that externally accessed cassette toilets are the best option for boondocker's, portapotties next, and holding tanks came in third because of their disadvantages which could be worked around as Francesca summarized so well.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #42

Name: Paige
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
Your responses are so helpful. There are more solutions available than I thought (with a bit of modification). I think having a couple of working options might be my answer, instead of trying to find THE ONE easiest/best way. And coming up with a couple of devices that help us go "old school" will cut down on using inside toilet.
Does anyone know off hand any brands that have an externally accessed cassette toilet? I do like that idea...thinking i might could use a small/lightweight handtruck if i had to carry it far...and not let it get too full or heavy. Ya'll brought up great point, that i really don't want to have to pack up and leave site just to dump.
I really didn't want to tow anything big, so i'm liking these ideas.
Paige M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:27 AM   #43

Name: luis
Trailer: in the market
Texas
excellent thread

Great thread. I too have had the same thoughts regarding compost toilets. Also watched the Wynns' video and do think these can work very well as they say, but only if you live in your trailer full time as they can 'nurse' the mix and let the natural ingredients follow a natural decomposing cycle and turning it into soil. Then this can be discarded as it is, soil. Since this process involves a biochemical reaction, temperature plays a role. Those in colder areas and months will see a reduction of this process as described by others in this thread. I'm not sure but I don't think this would work for the occasional trailer use, such as 2 nights every two weeks or so as two nights may not be enough time to decompose human waste into soil. Which at the conclusion of the trip you would indeed be handling human waste and not soil. - I think -
Z
Old 02-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #44

Name: Annette
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Washington
I just purchased my Nature's Head after research and watching youtube on the subject. It appears to me that the occasional camper, or at least the occasional user, would actually have the advantage. You would of course dump the liquids at the end of each trip, and as needed during, but the solids tank would be left to decompose until full.
I will be spending anywhere from 1 to 3 months in my Scamp this spring. The toilet will be used mostly at night, early morning, and possibly during travel. During the day I will have access to bathrooms. I don't expect to dump the solids more than once every 3 months. We shall see.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
apanchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #45

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Lil Snoozy has an optional externally accessed Thetford cassette. We like ours a lot. It holds 5 gallons so it is easy to empty. If a dump station or rest area is not available you can dig a hole.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
If a dump station or rest area is not available you can dig a hole.
In a Walmart parking lot?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #47

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Picturing digging a hole in a Walmart parking lot sure brings a smile. We never stay at Wally World. My wife has a extreme aversion to them. Tried to stop at one in Sherman Texas last year. The noise and activity put us back on the road to a campground. The cassette works great for us because you can empty it in any toilet at a rest area etc.

charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Discussion on CBC radio on toilet design ended with a caution about composting toilets. Apparently, if someone is on a course of antibiotics, that can stop the process and leave you with a mess to deal with.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #49

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
I think we are missing the point.

I know its an old post.

I guess folks are missing the point of these toilets. The idea is to take care of business with out using the black tank and not stink up the joint. The manufacturers put composting on the title just to gloss over the subject. The system could be composted but only if you are in a more stay in one place situation.

So they make it easy to bag it and dump it in the garbage which would be fine with me. Or I would dig a whole and bury it.

My biggest problem with them is the 1000 bucks they charge.

Happy camping
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #50

Washington
Finally reporting back

After owning my Nature's Head Composting toilet for over a year now, I can honestly say "I LOVE IT!"

I spent March 15 thru June 3rd of 2015 in my little Scamp trailer using the composting toilet on a part time basis. I needed to empty the urine container once to twice a week depending on how hydrated I stayed at night. By adding about a quarter cup of white vinegar to the pee bottle before attaching it to the toilet, there was very little odor either in use or when disposing of urine in campground bathrooms. I chose to put my "wet" toilet paper into a plastic bag inside of a small covered trash container, and disposed of it about the same frequency. I could have put all toilet paper into the composting toilet, but I didn't know how fast it would fill up that way, so only put the "soiled" tissue into the Nature's Head. Also I keep a spray bottle of vinegar water to "flush" after use, 2 or 3 sprays does it.

After my extended trip, the trailer was parked at our house and used as a guest room a couple of times throughout the year, probably for a total of about another week.

In February of this year, we took it on a camping trip to Arizona, where it was used by my husband, daughter, granddaughter and myself for another week and a half. Six days into this trip, I finally emptied the "compost" for the first time. Turns out I really didn't need to empty it then, but now I know better how long I can wait. The "compost" was clean, dry, light weight and had absolutely zero odor. There was recognizable toilet paper in it, but nothing else was recognizable. I double bagged it, and threw it away in the campground dumpster. Added the bag of koir (?) (shredded coconut shells), and a little water, and we were ready to go. Took all of 10 minutes, if that.

Potential negatives;
Keep an eye on the level of the "pee" bottle, you don't want to overfill it, especially not in the middle of the night.

2 year olds bottoms are not big enough for their poop to go directly into the holding tank. Had to wipe a little poop out of the bowl. No big deal.

Kind of expensive.

Positives;
No smells, no blackwater tank, no hoses, no chemicals, no dumping of stinky messy anything. No extra weight carrying extra water for flushing

No cutting a camping trip short, or having to pull out to go dump because your holding tank is full.

My only question is when I sell my Scamp, do I take it with me, or buy a new one for my next trailer.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #51

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Apanchot.... Great report!
Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #52

Name: Breck
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Is this in a wet bath? Wondering if shower would be problematic in some way?
Thank you.
Farmerbreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #53

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Haven't read the entire thread, but have researched composting toilets in the past.

I think, ideally, for use in a travel trailer, one would need a "home base" with enough of a yard to allow for actual composting of the product that comes out of the toilet. A toilet in constant use cannot possibly compost all of the material before you empty it. Being able to properly finish off the product in a proper compost bin would be essential in my mind.

I may consider a composting toilet if I follow through on my intent to purchase some land in the country to use as a home base for several months each year. I can then compost all of the toilet product properly. I don't believe just tossing it in the trash is appropriate, and could be illegal.

Have any relatives that you visit often where you could set up a compost pile to use?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #54

Kentucky
You are exactly correct about composting, however as to tossing in a trash bin being illegal, where are dirty plastic diapers disposed?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #55

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerbreck View Post
You are exactly correct about composting, however as to tossing in a trash bin being illegal, where are dirty plastic diapers disposed?
Hence, I said "could" be illegal. Again, in my mind, an infant's diaper contains one bowel movement from one infant. A trash bag full of partially composted feces from multiple adults over multiple months is different. It's a matter of scale.

To each their own as to what is acceptable and appropriate.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #56

Washington
As for my setup, I don't currently have a wet bath, but in future trailers I would be comfortable installing a "Natures Head" in a wet bath. Everything is sealed up pretty well, and any water would be minimal that might get into the tank. A little water is fine.

As far as disposing of the waste in a dumpster, or someones outdoor garbage can, I am much more comfortable doing this than putting a soiled diaper, or multiple soiled diapers in the trash. I was leery at first, at the claims of "no" smell, but smelling was believing. There was nothing but a faint "dirt" smell from the coconut fibers, whereas dirty diapers smell like...dirty diapers.

I'm taking a 3 week trip with my sister in May, before settling on taking my trailer, I had her come over and showed her how the composting toilet works, and told her that whatever she was smelling at that moment would be the most she would smell during the trip, with the exception of the moment of use. She isn't quite as adventurous as I am, but obviously it was acceptable to her, as she agreed to the trip. Now we will just have to see if we kill each other, spending 3 weeks together in a little Scamp.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #57

Kentucky
Thank you for your input. I am fortunate to have a home base where I had a commercial truck garden and used a lot of composted material. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #58

Kentucky
Thanks.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #59

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanchot View Post
As for my setup, I don't currently have a wet bath, but in future trailers I would be comfortable installing a "Natures Head" in a wet bath. Everything is sealed up pretty well, and any water would be minimal that might get into the tank. A little water is fine.

As far as disposing of the waste in a dumpster, or someones outdoor garbage can, I am much more comfortable doing this than putting a soiled diaper, or multiple soiled diapers in the trash. I was leery at first, at the claims of "no" smell, but smelling was believing. There was nothing but a faint "dirt" smell from the coconut fibers, whereas dirty diapers smell like...dirty diapers.

I'm taking a 3 week trip with my sister in May, before settling on taking my trailer, I had her come over and showed her how the composting toilet works, and told her that whatever she was smelling at that moment would be the most she would smell during the trip, with the exception of the moment of use. She isn't quite as adventurous as I am, but obviously it was acceptable to her, as she agreed to the trip. Now we will just have to see if we kill each other, spending 3 weeks together in a little Scamp.
Annette, thank you for your insight and hope you and Sis both come back with smiles on your faces. I do wonder some about rust on the cranking mechanism.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #60

Name: Keith
Trailer: Looking
New Hampshire
Another alternative is the C-Head. Uses common pieces (gallon milk jugs and 5 gallon pail (albeit modified), and is about 60% of the price of either natures head or air head. I am very happy with mine!

Klohmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita