Dometic RD24 flue - where? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 07:16 PM   #1

Name: Rufus
Trailer: Surfside TM14
Illinois
Dometic RD24 flue - where?

Edit: Model s/b RM211

Feels
like I _really_ should know this, but... The fridge works, more or less ok, on 110v, but propane has trouble getting to 40F. The flame is there, about half the size of my pinky nail. Goes really small if I turn the control below 1. Doesn't change from "pinky size" from 1 to max. The pipe at the top of the fridge above the flame is too hot to touch. I remove an access panel above the flame expecting to find a space, that is, a flue space... And it's packed solid with insulation. I feel around at the top (above the flame) where it's hot, expecting to find some opening at the top of the flue to vent combustion product. No openings, everything is solid sheet metal or pipes the appear to carry refridgerant. No outlet for gases.

So. Where's the darn flue?!

Thx,
Rufus
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200801_174352747.jpg  
rlaggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The chimney is in that box on the right, with the insulation packed around it. Yours is pretty boxed it, but there is an opening above the flame, maybe a 1" diameter pipe (chimney).

There are a lot of tutorials online about cleaning the gas burner, and that should help with cooling. I'm not familiar with your trailer or fridge model. If it's an old one, there are all sorts of things that could cause poor cooling, but cleaning the burner jet and orifice is the best place to start. Propane regulator pressure is another thing to check but that'll take a special instrument so try cleaning first.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Illinois
Thx Zach

I figured the flue had to be above the flame but finding that space packex with insulation kinda through me. That opening with the insulation looks like the only way to access where the flue must be but the stuff wants to come out in tufts and good chance it wont go back in and will need replacing. The fridge is from 1977 and that model was pretty common. Hoping somebody who has actually cleaned the flue on this model will comment. Seems like that is always the recommended course, along with cleaning the burner.

Since the burner does fire up, I went for checking the flue first. I plan to clean the burner like you said and I guess I'll do that first and see what results.

Appreciate your help.
Rufus
Old 08-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaggren View Post
Thx Zach

I figured the flue had to be above the flame but finding that space packex with insulation kinda through me. That opening with the insulation looks like the only way to access where the flue must be but the stuff wants to come out in tufts and good chance it wont go back in and will need replacing. The fridge is from 1977 and that model was pretty common. Hoping somebody who has actually cleaned the flue on this model will comment. Seems like that is always the recommended course, along with cleaning the burner.

Since the burner does fire up, I went for checking the flue first. I plan to clean the burner like you said and I guess I'll do that first and see what results.

Appreciate your help.
Rufus
Remember to never put a wire or anything into the orifice. Clean with alcohol or something else. If the fridge is that old it could have a lot of rust, a spider web or a number of things keeping the burner from working right.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #5

Montana
That opening with insulation sticking out is not the access.

I don't know your fridge model, but I think they're pretty standard this way. "Access" to the flue is through the top or the bottom. The top is...on top. The bottom is just above the flame. No other access without taking the fridge apart, which is not part of normal cleaning or service.

The way to clean the flue is to remove the fridge, take whatever cap or guard is over the top of the flue, pull out the "flue baffle", and run a pipe cleaner down it. What works for my fridge is a shotgun cleaning kit brush. Cleaning does not include somehow separating the flue from the fridge body. Sorry I didn't notice your response sooner...

If you start pulling insulation out of that hole you're not going to be doing anything beneficial.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #6

Illinois
Zach

Thx. I decided it had to be pretty much what you said. Sorry for late get-back. Just found the email notification in Spam. Had to put more fridge work til later. I'll see about getting shot gun kit.

Cheers.
Rufus
Old 08-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #7

Montana
Glad to hear you didn’t tear into it...

When you get back to it, post or PM if you have any issues/questions.

These things aren’t complicated, but they can seem like it until you’re familiar. For better or worse, I’ve gotten pretty familiar with mine. I can have the fridge out, cleaned/repaired and back in with caulk in a morning.