Early impressions - portable toilet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #1

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Early impressions - portable toilet

So far we are loving our Scamp 13, which has no bathroom. I thought I would want to eventually upgrade to a 16 with toilet and black water tank, but I think I may have changed my mind.

We have taken three trips - - 2 for long weekends without any hookups, and one for a week split between 4 days with electric and water hookups and 3 nights with no hookups. The first two trips, I did not bring the portable toilet. The whole thing intimidated me, so I just used the campground bathroom. For the one week trip I brought the portable toilet, and I am glad I did. If you just use it for, well, #1, and only in the middle of the night or other times where you don't want to rush to the camp bathroom, it will last for days before needing emptying. And emptying it isn't a big deal, although I wish my model had a better spout with directional capability.

After having emptied our gray water tank three times now at dumping stations, frankly, I can't imagine using one of those corrugated hoses on a black water tank. How do you ever get that really clean? I just don't think I could handle that. With a portable toilet, keeping the cartridge clean is pretty straightforward. Plus, there is so much potential for accidental leaking/spillage while at a dump station, as I have seen with my gray water tank. Wouldn't want that experience with black water.

So, if we ever do upgrade to a 16, which is possible because a dedicated potty space might be nice, I think I might stick with a portable toilet with a cartridge, rather than a black water tank with a hose. Has anyone else made that decision, and was it for the same reason? Or, am I missing something about the dumping station process that might convince me otherwise?
VicCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Well, if you dump the black tank at the sani station, you don't have to drag your poop container across the campground.
It's rather simple really. You connect the slinky hose to the outlet. Other end goes in the hole and you open the black tank valve. When you can't hear anything moving, or when the slinky hose stops vibrating, you close the valve and open the grey water valve. That flushes the slinky with soapy water. Close the grey water valve, disconnect and run water from the hose provided at the sani dump through the slinky and the outside of the slinky while it's still in the dump hole.
I use vinyl or latex gloves when handling the hose etc., but you could just wash your hands after.
Takes only a few minutes.
If you can flush your toilet at home, you can do it.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #3

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Black tank dump

Vicki

We have been in the same boat as you, having used only a T@b and a Coleman pop up before that. Lately we have been considering a larger more self contained camper such as the Escape and Olivers but before diving in head first I wanted to see just what was involved with black tank/gray tank maintenance and found this you tube video just yesterday. Below is the link. You may find it very helpful as I did.

Rob
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote