Excessive Water Pressure - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Bigfoot B19
BC
Excessive Water Pressure

I have a '86 Bigfoot B19 and whether it's hooked up to city water (with a pressure regulator valve) or running off the pump, the water pressure coming out of both the kitchen and bathroom faucet is way too high. Water sprays everywhere! Any idea if the pump can be adjusted, or other ideas it could be?
Thanks!
mdb000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
There are several brands and models of water pump but I've not run across any with adjustable pressure. Sounds like you need a new pump, hardly surprising with a 34 year old trailer. They aren't expensive and it's a fairly easy job unless it's in a difficult location.

Walt
Old 06-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I'd be tempted to find low-flow aerators. I can't imagine a 12 volt RV pump supplying excessive pressure.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb000 View Post
I have a '86 Bigfoot B19 and whether it's hooked up to city water (with a pressure regulator valve) or running off the pump, the water pressure coming out of both the kitchen and bathroom faucet is way too high. Water sprays everywhere! Any idea if the pump can be adjusted, or other ideas it could be?
Thanks!
Are you purging the air out of the lines when you fill the tanks and run the water through the lines. If there's air in the lines the water will spurt and shoot all over until all the air is out. When hooking to city water run water through your hose then hook to the trailer. That will minimize the amount of air you get. Plus have faucets open a little before turning on water to let air out. When using your pump fill your tank and open faucets slowly and let air out before turning faucet very high to purge the air. When filling the hot water heater turn on hot water faucets a little, open the pressure relief valve and fill tank until the water comes out of it, close the valve and let water run out of faucets until all air is out. Sounds like a lot but it isn't and we don't have problems hardly ever doing this. Nothing is 100% but I'd say this would help a lot.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I get "excessive" pressure when I fire up the water heater, but only for about two seconds the first time I turn on a faucet, then it's done. The heat, I'm guessing from expansion, pressurizes the lines a bit. That's the only time I've experienced something similar. Could be a faulty water pump...not sure.

The "spitting" of a faucet caused by air in the system is a very different thing. Is your issue a consistent high-pressure spray of water, or a spitting and gurgling?
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Adjusting the water pump will not affect the regulated pressure from the city water connection. It sounds like yo need new aerators on the faucets. These tame the flow and stop it from splashing. They also can be had with restrictors that reduce the overall flow rate and help reduce water usage.

Unscrew yours from the faucet outlet with a pair of pliers. Take it to Lowes and match the thread. Select the kind that has the flow restrictor. Install the new ones, and se if it is better.